The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Great balls of fire  (Read 2448 times)

Offline science_guy

• I'm right there... inside neilep's head!
    • View Profile
Great balls of fire
« on: 20/09/2006 16:15:02 »
concerning meteorites...

I know for a fact that Jupiter is intercepting many asteroids from reaching earth, but exactly how many?  If Jupiter were to suddenly dissappear, how often would the earth be hit by a meteor?  I may not know the answer, but im still glad this is the solar system that happens to have it's own "jupiter" type planet on the outer parts of the solar system!

_________________________________________________________________________________________

I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it is against my moral code to attack the unarmed.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Re: Great balls of fire
« Reply #1 on: 20/09/2006 17:34:28 »
It's probably impossible to say how many objects are swept up by Jupiter & Saturn - the solar system's great vacuum cleaners. However, there are not likely to be many asteroids on a collision course with Earth that could be intercepted in such a way as the orbits of Jupiter & Saturn are beyond those of the asteroids.

Comets, on the other hand, have orbits that extend way beyond the outer limits of the solar system. Others may plummet towards the sun after being dislodged from the Kuiper belt or Oort cloud. However, the only instance I remember being recorded was the Shoemaker-Levy comet of 1994.

It is a good bet that Jupiter & Saturn no longer sweep as many as in past eons for the simple reason that many of them will already have been swept.

Brand new forum at
http://beaverland.forumup.us
More than just science

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20/09/2006 17:34:28 »
It's probably impossible to say how many objects are swept up by Jupiter & Saturn - the solar system's great vacuum cleaners. However, there are not likely to be many asteroids on a collision course with Earth that could be intercepted in such a way as the orbits of Jupiter & Saturn are beyond those of the asteroids.

Comets, on the other hand, have orbits that extend way beyond the outer limits of the solar system. Others may plummet towards the sun after being dislodged from the Kuiper belt or Oort cloud. However, the only instance I remember being recorded was the Shoemaker-Levy comet of 1994.

It is a good bet that Jupiter & Saturn no longer sweep as many as in past eons for the simple reason that many of them will already have been swept.

Brand new forum at
http://beaverland.forumup.us
More than just science

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 20/09/2006 17:34:28 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums