The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Eta Carinae model looks like a "d" orbital ( !! ??)  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Pecos_Bill

• View Profile
I see the model of the eta carinae supernova on the BBC news page today. It has a singular resemblance to the shape of a "d" orbital from my chemical studies. Cou;d this point to some unknown underlying principal linking quantum level reality with cosmological scale phenomena?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-30721794

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
Re: Eta Carinae model looks like a "d" orbital ( !! ??)
« Reply #1 on: 09/01/2015 05:17:18 »
I doubt that there is any significant resemblance between the dynamics of this star system and that of the "d" orbital. The two phenomena arise from very dissimilar mechanisms.  Furthermore, their dynamics do not match over time. The "d" orbital holds it shape over time; the gas clouds do not. The similarity in form would thus simply be happenstance.

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/01/2015 14:29:10 »
You are correct that the shapes are similar. I don't think that there is any relationship to the mechanism determining the shapes, but I wouldn't say there is no relationship in the shapes. Both are the result of a system that is almost spherical, but whose symmetry been disturbed along one axis, resulting in something somewhere between two spheres and a whole (double) cone.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 09/01/2015 14:29:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums