The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could ADHD drive innovation?  (Read 2525 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Could ADHD drive innovation?
« on: 09/01/2015 20:30:01 »
househens1  asked the Naked Scientists:

1. ADHD and prefrontal cortex problems: we all know the expression the absent minded professor. could ADHD be behind the cutting edge of science and technology? (for those who do not go to jail or drug addiction, or get killed in a car accident, etc)*I have heard you yourself say that you are very disorganized. Do you see yourself with some of those qualities?

2. some of the most trusted studies have shown that long term exposure to amphetamines have caused cognitive disabilities, anxiety, and depression among hypertensive rodents who have been exposed to similar use of amphetamines...therefore my only request is that possibly you bring some light onto the subject for all the people who have had to suffer with thinking they have a disability, but they actually internally feel like it's an asset that just gets in the way of a very socially restrictive viewpoint of how things should be done..

I listen to your podcasts all the time.
Thanks, Kim.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 09/01/2015 20:30:01 by _system »

Offline joooblooo

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Could ADHD drive innovation?
« Reply #1 on: 11/01/2015 21:16:34 »
  Interesting….  I failed out of engineering college and stumbled through life until learning about ADD.  Since, I have gone through counseling and received medication.  I now am back in school 20 years later and am top of my class in every class so far.  I am working on several patents, and have lots of physics theories I have been studying.
  I would definitely say that having ADD completely relates and is responsible for my creative thinking.  Regardless of whether I am right or wrong, my ability to think outside the box gives me a definite edge.  I bought a 1920's Ford car brochure at a sale not to long ago.  I was blown away how everything from the transmission, to the motor, to the ignition, is exactly the same.  I realized that people are very good at refining ideas, but rarely good at innovating new one's.  Especially physicists.  Only a handful of people create new concepts, the rest are really good at understanding and implementing.   

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20/01/2015 20:35:09 »
I heard some speculation that conditions that we normally see as a "negative" may have some advantages, under the right conditions.

Quote from: ABC
It is perhaps in the neurological or neuropsychiatric developmental disorders, as I have elsewhere argued, that the relevant genes may least ambiguously offer clinically “unaffected “close relatives certain potential advantages.  Thus autism seems to be associated in relatives with increased representation of the careers of engineering, physics, mathematics and accounting, and affected individuals may be superior at processing fine detail. Tourette’s syndrome patients, and their relatives, may excel at jazz improvisation, gymnastics, dance and games, and may be particularly force-efficient at certain tasks demanding fine motor control. Depression is associated with literary creativity, especially in bipolar disorder. Schizophrenia may be associated with superior abilities in forming lateral associations and thought, and the cunning aloofness of the so-called Odyssean personality. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder is perfect for the explorer or hunter who must be hyperactive, impulsive, risk-taking and always ready for the unexpected. Conversely, obsessive-compulsive disorder, with its concentration upon hygiene, safety, checking, hording and ordering, may characterize aspects of the personality of the scientist, physician or successful home maker.

Of course, what is adaptive in an individual is always relative to the particular ecology or society at a particular time. In many native societies, or our own in times past, people exhibiting aspects of what from our perspective we label as schizophrenia, ADHD or Tourette’s syndrome may have been unremarkable as shamans, hunters or practitioners of song and dance. Joan of Arc, revered as a prophet and military leader in her day, could well nowadays be committed to a psychiatric institution.

From: http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/ockhamsrazor/cystic-fibrosis/5947126#transcript

Online tkadm30

• View Profile
    • IsotopeSoftware
« Reply #3 on: 13/03/2016 12:17:20 »
A new study found that the relative age of childrens is an indicator of neurocognitive maturity. The diagnosis of ADHD should consider the age of the children before prescribing medication. However, is ADHD medication repressing neurocognitive maturity ?

Another study found that ADHD medication like amphetamines have a risk of overdose for childrens exposed to theses drugs.

So I'm less than convinced that ADHD medication could really drive innovation, rather than creating clinical morbidity. 

====

Is It Really A.D.H.D. or Just Immaturity? http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/03/11/is-it-really-a-d-h-d-or-just-immaturity/

Overdose of drugs for attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: clinical presentation, mechanisms of toxicity, and management. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23757186
« Last Edit: 04/06/2016 12:54:55 by tkadm30 »

Offline the5thforce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/03/2016 02:30:40 »
exercise should be the first line of treatment for almost every 'disorder', being tired physically is universally mentally calming, in the past humans with adhd were likely the most dedicated hunters/explorers otherwise they wouldnt have eaten and their genes wouldnt have survived today

professional butt sitting is a fairly new human phenomenon, if nothing else amphetamines help with insomnia by allowing people to pull all nighters when they need to, the mental rush is very similar to caffeine only minus the jitters
« Last Edit: 14/03/2016 02:35:40 by the5thforce »

Online tkadm30

• View Profile
    • IsotopeSoftware
« Reply #5 on: 04/06/2016 12:54:13 »
Could ADHD medication impair innovation and creativity?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 04/06/2016 12:54:13 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums