The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why is my antivirus blocking things all the time?  (Read 8551 times)

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I keep getting this message when I click on threads here and other forums, but not with things like facebook. It isn't 100% but having to try five or six times to read something is irksome. Any suggestions?

resource://firefox.abs.avira.com/html/blocked.html

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Why is my antivirus blocking things all the time?
« Reply #1 on: 11/01/2015 06:46:06 »
You might need to pay for a non-free anti-virus tool?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/01/2015 08:16:54 »
See this link:
https://answers.avira.com/en/question/resourcefirefoxabsaviracomhtmlblockedhtml-24870

It looks like you have to manually specify some of the "safe" pages.  However, according to the notes, Avira may have changed their interface.  Hopefully the option is still there...  somewhere.

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/01/2015 14:22:03 »
Yeah, I looked at that, but there doesn't seem to be any way to override, or proceed, or manually select pages as safe. The page is just blank. I may have to switch antivirus programs, but in the past, I actually had more problems with ones like Norton because my computer was so old and I kept getting viruses, and it seemed much better with Avira.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/01/2015 17:55:08 »
You might need to pay for a non-free anti-virus tool?

.... I may have to switch antivirus programs ...

I use Microsoft's free own-brand anti-virus and it works OK for me ,
[ I occasionally get a second opinion with a different antivirus to check my computer is clean ].

However Microsoft's free own-brand anti-virus is apparently bottom of the league ... http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

In addition to anti-virus I use the  NoScript addon ...  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NoScript  , it enables you to whitelist the sites you trust to use JavaScript, Flash, Java. Doing that drastically reduces the odds of drive-by-download of malware ...  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_by_download
« Last Edit: 11/01/2015 17:57:16 by RD »

Online syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15/01/2015 16:41:38 »
I do not really understand the concept of computers getting old provided you do not have memory defects or a hard disk with defects reformatting the hard disk will restore the virginity of your computer.
What operating system are you using ?
Do you have the original setup disk ?
May I suggest that as long as you have at least 1Gb of memory you upgrade to windows 7 which includes its own anti virus.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15/01/2015 21:14:32 »
I do not really understand the concept of computers getting old provided you do not have memory defects or a hard disk with defects reformatting the hard disk will restore the virginity of your computer.

My computer is getting to be a few years old.  Perhaps it is time to check out the latest (or one generation back from the latest).

True, the computers don't get "old" per se, but the demands on the computers increase every year. 
I end up with more and more windows open, some of them are kind of forgotten until they gobble up all my memory.
One may argue that web pages are getting better, but they also are becoming less efficient.  Perhaps asvertising is taking a chunk away as pages that should have a single JAVA source now have a dozen.

You do want all the latest upgrades to make your computer "safer", don't you? 

It just becomes difficult to roll back to the computer you were happy with a decade ago, or even 5 years ago.

Online syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16/01/2015 17:07:19 »
A decade ago I used to get my internet connection via a 28Kb/s dial up modem but now I get 50+Mb/s so there has been some progress.
I find motherboards to be the parts that crumble to dust I have recently had to send two perfectly good AMD CPU,s and associated memory chips to the trash as each generation of motherboards seems to use different sockets.   
« Last Edit: 16/01/2015 17:17:06 by syhprum »

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19/01/2015 23:33:29 »
I'm wondering if I have a google redirect virus that some how my program doesn't find on scan but does if it gets redirected. Is that possible?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20/01/2015 00:32:52 »
I keep getting this message ... resource://firefox.abs.avira.com/html/blocked.html
Looks like it could be a compatibility problem between avira and the latest version of FireFox ... https://answers.avira.com/en/question/resourcefirefoxabsaviracomhtmlblockedhtml-24870

You could try running FireFox in "safe" mode , which doesn't engage any addons ... http://www.wikihow.com/Start-Firefox-in-Safe-Mode *

If everything works OK in "safe" mode then you know the problem is due to an addon , ( e.g. an advert-blocker ).

[ Don't click on "reset FireFox" as you will lose all your FireFox passwords and bookmarks ].
« Last Edit: 20/01/2015 00:45:59 by RD »

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20/01/2015 14:26:34 »
You could try using a different browser, such as Chrome...

Offline nicephotog

• H h H h H h H h H h
    • View Profile
    • Freeware Downloads
« Reply #11 on: 17/06/2015 08:59:33 »
It's called firewalling!
go into the security section of the browser and see if the "avira" is part of Firefox of the internet options for explorer and OS.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 17/06/2015 08:59:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums