The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is there really a cure for Tinnitus?  (Read 2993 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Is there really a cure for Tinnitus?
« on: 15/01/2015 16:30:01 »
David Mantell asked the Naked Scientists:

I have received an email from Allan watson informing me he has produced a guide which explains how Tinnitus can be cured.It is called the REVERSE MY TINNITUS GUIDE. According to him he a DR JAMES PHILLIPS from OXFORD UNIVERSITY has done research in this field and has helped him find this cure.

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.
David
What do you think?
« Last Edit: 15/01/2015 16:30:01 by _system »

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is there really a cure for Tinnitus?
« Reply #1 on: 15/01/2015 17:16:08 »
I know that tinnitus can be chemically induced, so I would believe there could, in principle, be drugs that stop it. There was recently a piece in the new york times about pharmaceutical efforts towards treating ear conditions (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/10/business/ear-disorders-long-neglected-attract-drug-makers-attention-.html?_r=0)

I don't know anything about Phillips research, though I am naturally skeptical of cures that come in book form... (but that doesn't mean my skepticism is necessarily warranted)

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/02/2015 12:30:02 »
David Mantell asked the Naked Scientists:

I have received an email from Allan watson informing me he has produced a guide which explains how Tinnitus can be cured.It is called the REVERSE MY TINNITUS GUIDE. According to him he a DR JAMES PHILLIPS from OXFORD UNIVERSITY has done research in this field and has helped him find this cure.

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.
David
What do you think?
There is quite a bit about this on tinnitus forums. General feeling is scam mainly due to people not being able to find James Phillips and perception that a lot of hollow web sites have been set up to steer links to the core site. This technique seems common to a number of fringe sales sites.
Tinnitus seems to be caused when the fine hairs in the cochlea are damaged, you then get a symptom similar to phantom limbs in amputees. Most treatments are aimed at masking the tinnitus with low level noise to help the brain ignore the false signals.

Offline Alerick

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/02/2015 12:04:15 »
I have just phoned Oxford University ( Feb 12 2015 11.40 ) and have been informed that Dr james phillips does NOT and NEVER has worked there ..so this IS a total scam and should be avoided like the plague..

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 12/02/2015 12:04:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length