The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: UHD 4K for Computer Monitors?  (Read 2338 times)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
UHD 4K for Computer Monitors?
« on: 22/01/2015 09:24:18 »
I was out browsing today. 

I noticed the UHD 4K TVs were out.  (old news?)  Prices were competitive.  I guess that is the benefit of not getting them when they are first released.

There were even some sweet curved LCD UHD 4K TVs  Resolution is 3840x2160, I think, which is pretty impressive. 

For comparison:
20" monitors, 1600x900
24" monitors, 1920x1200 is common.
30" monitors, 2560x1600

That would put the 48" monitor about 4x the size of the 24" monitor at about the equivalent resolution.  So, 40 to 50" TVs would be running at about "computer resolution".  I think I also saw a 28" version that was cheaper than one might expect, with some wicked resolution (more than is needed?)

So, is anybody using a UHD TV as a primary computer monitor?

Curved might be interesting, but might be of benefit as one gets into larger computer monitors to keep most of the monitor at closer to equidistant to the person.  Would one perceive straight lines as straight on a curved monitor?

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: UHD 4K for Computer Monitors?
« Reply #1 on: 22/01/2015 19:32:08 »
More than is needed? Well, if you think of it as the equivalent of a screen for a projector to show slides on, 8 megapixels is pretty good, but there's still room for further improvement to catch up with camera resolutions. With high resolution video it's also reached the point where you can take high quality stills by shooting video instead and then selecting individual frames to print, so even with video there is a good reason to display at higher resolution than you can appreciate when looking at the screen from your chair - you want to be able to go up to it to have a closer look rather than having to zoom in with clumsy controls. With OLED screens it'll also be low power in the future, so it isn't going to become a great environmental threat, just so long as you don't keep replacing TVs too often. I don't know where the need for higher definition will end though, because I like the idea of being able to use binoculars to see distant wildlife on screen just as I use them in the real outdoors.

With curved screens, it should result in a distorted picture as they are normally shot in such a way that the image should be flat and viewed from a long way off. If you view large screens from too close a distance, that will introduce distortions which a curved screen will help to cancel out, but there is no perfect way to correct things because viewing distances and angles vary so much. The exception would be if the screen is to be used by a single viewer whose eyes are equidistant from all parts of the surface. With that, software could reshape the image to look perfect, or video could be created to work with such a screen in the first place, and software could correct it for displaying on a flat screen.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22/01/2015 21:22:24 »
Good Points.
I had thought about opening more text windows.  However, with my current monitors, I find that I usually only have a couple of windows visible.  One's attention span is on only so much.

But, it is a good point that it is sub-optimal to display a 20MP photo on a 2MP computer monitor (although the high resolution is good for printing, and cropping), but I find myself zooming a lot just to get stuff fit where I can see it.

As far as curvature with a computer monitor, perhaps ideally one would sit, say 4' from the monitor, with a curvature of radius 4'.  The TV screens probably had a bit larger radius of curvature as one's use of a TV would be different.  However, they were being marketed as "sit closer to the screen with higher resolution".  And, It was hard to see pixels when they were displaying high res images.

Again, for text windows, curved monitors may have a benefit of keeping the focal point closer whether it is in the middle or near an edge of the monitor.  For graphics, the problem arises that we have both a curved world and a flat world.  And, our eyes can deal with it to some extent, but there could be problems with jumping between say curved and flat monitors/screens and flat paper.  The curvature wasn't that extreme in the TV monitors I was seeing, but I could imagine it being greater in the future.

Anyway, for years, I've been discouraging people from using TVs as personal computer monitors.  But, those days may be quickly going away.

I was surprised in Best Buy, they had the 28" 4K monitor in the TV section, and NOT in the computer section. 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 22/01/2015 21:22:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums