The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can we find another way to travel to other planets?  (Read 6249 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
PAWAN PATEL asked the Naked Scientists:

As compare to universe we are nothing so is there another way to travel one planet to another?
What do you think?
« Last Edit: 23/01/2015 21:30:01 by _system »

Offline jccc

• View Profile
Re: Can we find another way to travel to other planets?
« Reply #1 on: 23/01/2015 22:35:19 »
The universe is in your head, where else can't you travel?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23/01/2015 23:42:10 »
There are theories about folding space to make shortcuts, but no practical (or safe) way to do it.

So, for now, we're stuck with rockets that go quite a bit slower than the speed of light.

As robots and AI improve, it is quite possible we'll be able to send robotic missions to other stars in which the ships would be designed to essentially sleep for hundreds or thousands of years, then awaken when they get solar energy from the new star. 

Will robots be our heritage?  Is there any difference between say sending a robot vs constructing an incubator that could grow living humans from eggs delivered to a new planet?

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24/01/2015 03:40:28 »
Science cannot even folding a straight line. Folding space theory? Must be quantum folding.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24/01/2015 04:02:08 »
Quote from: thedoc

As compare to universe we are nothing so is there another way to travel one planet to another?
What do you think?
While there's nothing wrong with asking these kinds of questions, science is not able to answer them. Science can  only address what is observed and we find a way to describe and hopefully explain what we're observing. If we're lucky we can use it to answer questions like this. However there is no straight path from asking the question to getting the answer using science.

Offline JohnDuffield

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24/01/2015 16:34:43 »

Yes.

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24/01/2015 21:41:42 »
The best thing to do may be to try to make sure we can survive here for a few billion years, then look for a future home passing when our galaxy merges with M31 and jump across to it.

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25/01/2015 05:48:07 »
Conceptually, it would be possible to have a large, self-sufficient space ship containing its own ecosystem that could support several generations of humans on a journey to elsewhere in the universe.  Perhaps quite impractical, but conceptually possible. It is also conceptually possible to travel at close to the speed of light, relying on time dilation to shorten the [apparent] time for the journey, although this is well beyond anything currently envisionable from an engineering standpoint. It is also conceptually possible to freeze astronauts for a more conventional journey of centuries or millennia, thawing them out again on arrival; but this too remains beyond the reach of current technology.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27/01/2015 10:17:11 »
A century ago, airplane travel across the Atlantic ocean was pure fantasy. But that didn't stop people writing imaginative stories about a trip to the Moon.

We have no idea what will be possible in another century, but that shouldn't stop us dreaming... (as long as we can distinguish the dreams from demonstrated technology).

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27/01/2015 13:56:39 »
I don't know, maybe? Depends on QM I think, and what it will tell us.

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27/01/2015 21:55:46 »
Science is pretty much reached terminal speed.

Look back 50 years, news were about the same. 

Keep dreaming, it is tax free.

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28/01/2015 07:44:27 »
I don't know, maybe? Depends on QM I think, and what it will tell us.

Joke right? QM has nothing to do with transportation.

QM is a story wrote by scientists to cover science fact they can not explain.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28/01/2015 16:00:23 »
Nah, no joke. You won't travel far by classical physics. Unless you have a infinite energy available, aka a 'free lunch' constantly feeding you. Try Stapeldon's 'last and first men' for good ideas, a oldie but a goldie as they say. In it he suggest 'seeding' as a way to 'travel', which may be possible if we just want to seed biological and plant life. Otherwise you have quantum logics and especially entanglements, which somehow slips around the idea of distances. It has to do with information actually, you consist of information as do I. The problem seems to be what type of information that is 'allowed' quantum mechanically.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28/01/2015 23:29:47 »
A century ago, airplane travel across the Atlantic ocean was pure fantasy. But that didn't stop people writing imaginative stories about a trip to the Moon.

We have no idea what will be possible in another century, but that shouldn't stop us dreaming... (as long as we can distinguish the dreams from demonstrated technology).

For all of human history, humans have been able to gaze skyward and see birds flying, and they gave us the inspiration for building the first airplanes. 

I suppose the Wright Brothers would be quite impressed by the Concorde, and the Airbus A380 if they were alive today, although at least Orville saw nearly a half century of aircraft development.

There are lots of space phenomenon to be seen in the skys, but nothing engineered by evolution beyond what we've done ourselves.

I have no doubt we will have interplanetary travel and colonization within the next few centuries.  But there are still some big technological leaps to get to other stars. 

One might also ask WHY.  Resources?  Curiosity? 

There are businesses looking to mine resources from our solar system, but it would seem impractical, and unnecessary to travel to another star to mine natural resources. 

There certainly have been advances in computer technology over the last half century.  However, there haven't been any huge leaps.

Cars from around 1900.
Airplanes from 1903.
Jet and Rocket engines from WWII (1940's).
Trips to the moon 1960's.

There still is a lot of advancement in the existing technologies, but there haven't been any technological leaps forward in quite some time (except in computers, TVs, cell phones, and etc). 

Perhaps we'll see controlled fission or fusion for rocket power????

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29/01/2015 04:28:00 »
Nice view! You forgot vibrators.

I believe the answer is around the corner. Might discover more energy within the atoms, if we think deeper and try.

Why? Charge is energy, atom contains charges, we are using energy stored within those balanced charges, chemically or fission. But we only used a tiny part, after reaction, by product contains about the same amount of combined charges.

If somehow we can discharge atom itself, all energy will be released. Matter to energy 100%.

I suggested neussion, high speed electron beaming h2o atom, hits proton and orgasm.
« Last Edit: 29/01/2015 05:51:35 by jccc »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #15 on: 29/01/2015 09:09:36 »

What do you think?

I think our current technology has pretty much reached its limit insofar as space travel is concerned.

The di-lithium propulsion of Star trek's Enterprise may be just pie-in-the-sky dreaming but perhaps Thorium reactors might emerge one day in the future, which could provide long life power plants to provide thrust far beyond the solid/liquid/gas fuel of conventional thinking.

Perhaps we may even discover the fabled light sail so a craft can be propelled by the sun's rays at near the speed of light.

For now, I think we are waiting for one of those eureka moments when somebody finds what they have been searching for or stumbles upon something in their quest for a new all-purpose stain remover.

Whatever the case, I seriously doubt that we will ever reach speeds in excess of the speed of light, so even our closest neighbouring star is still going to be an 8 year round trip.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #15 on: 29/01/2015 09:09:36 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums