The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: For or against the death penalty?  (Read 22109 times)

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: For or against the death penalty?
« Reply #50 on: 29/09/2006 19:39:59 »
OMG Loretta.  That's a terrible thing to have to go through.  I can't imagine how difficult that must've been.  Your boys are blessed to have you as their mom. I'm so sorry that happenend to you and your family.  I bet you found out you had a lot more strength than you ever thought possible.  Maybe we should start calling you bad a betty.

Carolyn

Offline Mirage

• Neilep Level Member
  • Dry Hump anyone?
    • View Profile
    • http://brokenzanymind.blogspot.com/
« Reply #51 on: 29/09/2006 20:43:12 »
Loretta, that is truel unbelievable, it's so sad that you and your boys had to go through that. I'm blown away, I don't know what to say apart from you are an amazing wonderful woman.

And that also goes to you Karen and Carolyn, you girls, and not forgetting Gaia are my favourite internet girls (and my friend tracie on another site). I love you all, you are all truely amazing, wonderful, special, lovely and sexy girls.

Ooooop almost forgot this

-------------------------
Flying Monkey Slayer AKA The Big Cheese says:

Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most
« Last Edit: 29/09/2006 20:44:44 by Mirage »

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 29/09/2006 21:06:15 »
Lo, your kids are SO lucky to have you as their mum!

Gaia  xxx

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #53 on: 29/09/2006 23:05:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by Karen W.

Man Loretta, I am so glad you are my friend... you stood up and fought for those children as I know you would as you have for me... You are a wonderful mother and I think you Deserve a star!!!!! I wish I could give you one.... Daniel.. Can you give the lady a star??? I don't know how to do the pics!!

Karen

Yeah, it was the most stressful time in my life ever!  At the same time that Kansas took my son, I made it back and my house caught on fire.  Then the smart socialworker called me and said, "I would never get my son back!" I was a documenting queen....2 months later, she lost her job once I made copies of my documented phone calls with dates and times on it along with copies of my phone bills...uh, they had to do something quick with her...I was just a bit upset and my attorney had to be told what to do and that is why after so long into the process I fired him and went on my own.  They kept sending me documents of trying to get me to sign over my son....I would send them back certified with no signature....with one phrase written across it....I will see you in court, please send the date and time when you get this on the docket!

You are so wonderful thank you Karen!  I am that way with anyone dear to me.  My job was very supportive as I told them when it came to my family I will fight to survive, but we will be together!  [B)]  They supported me and said, just let us know when you need off and we will honour that...and they did!:D

"Just Me, Lo" Loretta

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 29/09/2006 23:12:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by Carolyn

OMG Loretta.  That's a terrible thing to have to go through.  I can't imagine how difficult that must've been.  Your boys are blessed to have you as their mom. I'm so sorry that happenend to you and your family.  I bet you found out you had a lot more strength than you ever thought possible.  Maybe we should start calling you bad a betty.

Carolyn

Carolyn, I felt like my life was taken, I was physically ill from stress during that first week and lost more sleep than I care to remember.  I cried and cried.  Those heartless socialworkers would hang up on me and much more.  I wanted answers and they would tell me my answers would be when I gave in and gave up my son.  They told me they would run me out of money before I would get my son.  I told them they would have to kill me first before I would ever give up....and then told me I was suicidal!  aagghh!  I did not think I was going to make it, but I did.:D  I will never forget the look in my mother's eye when I told her that in the courtroom.  She never apologized and I still gave her a chance before she died...but she died before we could see her on her deathbed.:(

"Just Me, Lo" Loretta

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 30/09/2006 00:42:50 »
Lo - I'm so proud to know you.  You are a true example of "that which does not kill us makes us stronger". You obviously excell at the hardest job on the planet.  Being a parent. Love you babe!

Carolyn

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 30/09/2006 01:39:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gaia

Lo, your kids are SO lucky to have you as their mum!

Gaia  xxx

Thank you Gaia!  I felt so bad as my oldest and youngest missed out on a lot of things those two years.  I told them as a family we must do everything we can to keep from losing one another...I pray they remember it.  After reviewing my son's Magnum's page...he has as his hero me!  LOL  It made me feel good anyways.  He knows I went to bat for him in a couple of situations too...and I do believe he remembers.:)

"Just Me, Lo" Loretta

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 30/09/2006 01:46:31 »
Carolyn, you are wonderful to say so.  I made a lot of mistakes as for some reason, when the little guys were born someone threw away their manuals?  Parenting was the toughest thing I have ever done...I think the hardest part was discipline...in fact, my middle son said he thought it was funny as I would ground them to school when we got home when they were grounded...hehe  They would get out of school come home, sit on the couch for 30 mins to begin with gripe about their day...then I would oversee them with their homework, and additionally give them a page(from computer)of their weakest subject and they had 30 minutes to complete the assignment and turn it in.  Sometimes it would be fun and sometimes not.  Michael would try to be funny and try to get out of "my class" like can he see the principal.  I would grab a hat and put it on...hehe  He would be in shock after I told him now I am the principal what I could help him with..and so on and so on for different characters from the school, counselor, advisor, cafeteria lady-as he couldn't wait for his snack before dinner...Magnum and Danny would just play along with it so school would be over quicker.  LOL  

Love you too as you are an amazing parent too.

"Just Me, Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 30/09/2006 02:23:46 »
Wow Loretta you are definetly a keeper!! GOOD FOR YOU TO STAND SO STRONG!!

Karen

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 30/09/2006 02:37:08 »
Those boys had me going...2 of the 3 didnt like writing so essays was the order for them..hehe

"Just Me, Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 30/09/2006 02:40:50 »
Pretty Good thinking!  Your a good mom!!

Karen

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 30/09/2006 04:13:03 »
don't know about that...but Daniel had to deal with science...chemistry/physics...not his strongest subject

"Just Me, Lo" Loretta

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 30/09/2006 04:43:04 »
Poor nic is mad at me because I took away his xbox 360 for bringing home 2 b's on progress report.

Carolyn

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 30/09/2006 13:49:37 »
What subjects?

"Just Me, Lo" Loretta

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 30/09/2006 17:41:34 »
Literature and Social Studies.  The only reason he doesn't have an A in both of these is because the little bugger is making an F in the homework portion of his grades.  He's making a C in algebra, but I know he's trying in that class and he's only a few points away from a b, so he has time to get his grade up before report cards come out.  I don't know about science yet, but he better be doing well in that too.

Offline tootsie78

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 30/09/2006 18:24:50 »
Definitely AGAINST!!!  What does the Bible say about killing???
"Thou shalt not kill"  Jesus didn't give any "exceptions" to this law.  I haven't ever read in the Bible where it says "Thou shalt not kill unless you are killing a murderer"...ummmmmmmmm, NO!  Sorry!

~Joy~

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 30/09/2006 18:36:00 »
NIce Joy! Welcome to Just Chat, nice to see you here!!

Karen

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 30/09/2006 18:36:30 »
Literature can be loads of fun with him if you make it into a game for him Carolyn(he is a male...lol)I used to make games out of their lessons so they had to guess the answers, of course I had to take time and read their lessons and would get the copy of the teacher's lesson plan so I would know where they were at and work with them at home over these subjects...Social Studies....another one, read over it, make up questions with bountiful awards, such as a night at his favourite restaurant...(I did favourite event...ended up at a wrestling match a few times...ewww...football games, basketball games, went to where the cowboys practice so we could autographs, river to tube, race waterboats, miniature golf, ride horses, six flags, glenrose park to look at dinosaur tracks, rock museum, toilet lid museum, science fair park, and etc...different rewards instead of just money all the time.  (Looked for places for them to have fun and learn too...even on family vacations, where we panned for gold, went to the US Mint, historical places like Liberty Bell, Constitution..many of the museums etc)

"Just Me, Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 30/09/2006 18:53:04 »
THAT IS A GREAT TOOL LORETTA.. WORKED FOR MY OLDER BOY TOO! nOW HE READS EVERYTHING AND GET THIS, HE'S A GREASE MONKEY AND HE LOVES SHAKESSPHERE!! WHO'D OF THUNK.. THE DOCTOR TOLD ME AND HIM THAT HE WOUYLD NEVER BE ABLE TO READ WITH HIS LEARNING DISABILITY! THE KID HAS NO LEARNING DISABILITY OTHER THEN MOTIVATION.. BUT WHEN THE DOCTOR SAID THAT IT BROKE MY HEART AND p****D HIM OFF! SORRY HE SAID TO ME MIND YOU HE WAS 8 YEARS OLD AND COULD READ HARDLY ANYTHING..BUT HE GRABBED MY HAND IN THE CAR WHEN LEAVING DOCTORS OFFICE AS I WAS CRYING AND HE SAID, DON'T CRY MOMMIE, HE IS WRONG I AM GOING TO READ JUST FINE, I PROMISE...! WELL LET ME SAY HE READS CONSTANTLY AND LOVES IT HE READS WELL AND WHEN HE IS HOME HE IS CONSTANTLY READING AND HAS BECOME QUITE THE BOOKWORM, LOVES HISTORY SCIENCE, MYTHOLOGY, EVERYTHING, THE THEATER THE ARTS AND HAS BECOME QUITE THE LITTLE POET, COWBOY POETRYT, BUT VERY GOOD...RODEO STUFF!

Karen

another_someone

« Reply #69 on: 30/09/2006 20:29:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by tootsie78
"Thou shalt not kill"  Jesus didn't give any "exceptions" to this law.  I haven't ever read in the Bible where it says "Thou shalt not kill unless you are killing a murderer"...ummmmmmmmm, NO!  Sorry!

~Joy~

Unfortunately, that is something of a simplification.

As I understand it, "thou shalt not kill” was one of the 10 commandments brought down the mount by Moses, and was not something Jesus himself gave us.  But then, one also has to remember that Moses lead his people into battle against many enemies, and was merciless in his pursuit and destruction of his enemies.  There are also many parts of the bible where there is some controversy as to whether Jesus was himself as much of a pacifist as many modern Christians would wish to believe (he certainly was not averse to carrying a sword – although carrying and using is not the same thing).

George

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 01/10/2006 01:53:38 »
I understand where Joy is comming from but agree with you George as there are many a wars waged in the bible and not just by non believers!!

Karen

Offline Andy28

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 01/10/2006 07:19:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by Carolyn

Literature and Social Studies.  The only reason he doesn't have an A in both of these is because the little bugger is making an F in the homework portion of his grades.  He's making a C in algebra, but I know he's trying in that class and he's only a few points away from a b, so he has time to get his grade up before report cards come out.  I don't know about science yet, but he better be doing well in that too.

Don't you think you are being a tad unreasonable. My mum used to try and push me all the time and i ended up going the opposite way to rebel against her. So what if he did'nt get A grades?
« Last Edit: 01/10/2006 08:15:39 by Andy28 »

Offline Andy28

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 01/10/2006 07:21:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by tootsie78

~Joy~

Thou shall not kill - exactly. Murderers kill and that is why god made us carry out his will when they do (ie, execute them).

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 01/10/2006 07:28:57 »
Good morning Andy.. How are you this morning? I hope your weekend is going smoothly!

Karen

Offline Andy28

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 01/10/2006 08:11:55 »
Yeah it is.  My partner has gone out for the night with her mates for the first time in ages so i got some peace for the first time in ages.
I'm just sitting here with my dog and my cider, lol.
« Last Edit: 01/10/2006 08:14:41 by Andy28 »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #74 on: 01/10/2006 08:11:55 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums