The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are vaccinations dangerous?  (Read 1504 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Are vaccinations dangerous?
« on: 04/02/2015 19:30:02 »
Shelly Mackie  asked the Naked Scientists:
I am on the fence about vaccinations. Before you think I am a google Dr, conspiracy  theorist crunchy homeschooler let me assure you that we are secular and homeschool because my eldest is dyslexic. She is 11 and wants to be a physicist. My youngest is 9 and has sensory processing disorder. She is affected visually, orally and also tactile defensive. They both attended school and it was traumatic for everyone.

I vaccinated my oldest until 3 as when the second was born she had such a bad reaction that I stopped vaccinating both all together. Now I was wondering, would the SPD cause the reaction or the vaccination cause the SPD? Or are they completely unrelated?

Last year she cut her finger very badly and in hospital they gave her a DPT. No reaction.
I am not under any illusion that my kids are safe, we live in Africa after all. They both had the TB in the arm and polio drops. But after the 6 week TOPV, RV, DTP-IPV, PCV she screamed for 2 weeks. Had raging fevers and wouldn't feed. I couldn't bring fever down with medication, cool baths nor could the hospital. Finally she started to respond the second week, it was terrifying.  
You can imagine my reluctance to give her any more vaccinations at the time. They are both incredibly healthy. They have not needed an antibiotic in 7 years and if they get a cold it lasts a day and is very mild. My eldest had the chicken pox vaccination and still developed chicken pox, mildly. The youngest did not have the vaccination and contracted it even more mildly. (5 spots) diagnosed by our GP. We kept them home until all symptoms had gone.

So, after a long story, my question is. Now that they are older, and I saw no reaction in the DPT do I now administer the vaccinations, or is it too late?

Let me tell you that we are huge fans of your show. We live in South Africa and listen to you every Friday with the beautiful talented  Redi Tlhabi and also download the podcasts and listen to them on road trips. We homeschool and your show has taught us amazing things.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 04/02/2015 19:30:02 by _system »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Are vaccinations dangerous?
« Reply #1 on: 05/02/2015 01:43:54 »
There are quite a few different vaccines given for different purposes.  For some diseases, there is a benefit of reducing the prevalence in the community. 

Chicken Pox, of course, sometimes comes back as Shingles later in life, and for some can be extremely painful or debilitating.  The vaccine is a life-attenuated virus, and it possible that your children were exposed to the vaccine virus without having the shot. 

Rubella is probably not much worse than chicken pox, EXCEPT FOR WOMEN WHO GET THE DISEASE WHILE PREGNANT, where it can be particularly devastating to the unborn child.  Now, if you have a son, he might not need it, except for the benefit of reducing the prevalence of the disease in the population as a whole. 

Likewise HPV carries a cancer risk in girls, but not in boys, but again there are benefits of reducing the disease in the population as a whole.

You also mentioned polio.  In many individuals the disease has few if any symptoms, in a few, it can be extremely devastating.  You wouldn't know which group your child would be in until after the disease is contracted.  The disease essentially has been eradicated in the Americas and in Europe, but could always be re-introduced

Anyway, you could probably get away without vaccinating, but the long-term risk of the vaccines is less than the diseases.

Offline yellowcat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/02/2015 21:08:50 »
HPV infection can cause genital cancers in men, although these cancers are not common. HPV infection also increases the risk of some types of mouth and throat cancers in both males and females..

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 05/02/2015 21:08:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums