The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Lightning?  (Read 8428 times)

Offline RA.Sullivan

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sullyphoto.com
Lightning?
« on: 26/09/2006 15:45:05 »
Does lightning make a splash if it hits water?
Does the sound wave cause a wave in water ?

Offline science_guy

• I'm right there... inside neilep's head!
    • View Profile
Re: Lightning?
« Reply #1 on: 26/09/2006 16:18:20 »
first of all, welcome to this forum!

And about lightning, I dont think it will ever hit water.  Lightning is an attraction between the negative charge in the clouds, and the positive charge in the ground each goes to the halfway point with blinding speed, and connect at the center.  As far As I know, Water does not have a charge.  About waves being made from sound, I dont think that the sound waves, even from a thunder clap, is strong enough to really affect the water flow that much.

I hope I was of help!

_________________________________________________________________________________________

I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it is against my moral code to attack the unarmed.

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #2 on: 26/09/2006 16:49:46 »
I would love to see lightning hit water...okay, I know it won't happen but for someone to play with photos so it looks real...i really like that idea.

"Just Me, Lo" Loretta

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26/09/2006 18:54:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by science_guy

And about lightning, I dont think it will ever hit water.
Are you sure?

Other lightinings:
http://www.wetter-foto.de/fotos-1-1-all-Blitze.html
« Last Edit: 26/09/2006 18:56:30 by lightarrow »

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26/09/2006 19:02:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by RA.Sullivan
Does lightning make a splash if it hits water?
A lighting hits the water surface so it doesn't make a splash.
quote:
Does the sound wave cause a wave in water ?
It can, as a little explosion over the water can do it.

Offline bostjan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26/09/2006 19:11:34 »
lightarrow got it.

Water, as most chemists know, and as most people are told, can eaily become conductive with a few ions in solution, such as the saltwater in the ocean, or even puddles in the road, which contain dissolved road salt and minerals from cars.

Water is almost completely incompressible (sp?).  A sound wave in air travels as a compression, but a sound wave at the surface of water could be seen as a disturbance in the water, although it would move incredibly fast.  More likely, you would see a ripple wave from the violent force of the lightning.

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: 26/09/2006 19:41:46 »
I would have thought that a couple of million Amps flowing through water are going to heat it up considerably ( If lighting hits sand it turns it to glass ), I would have thought that a significant amount of water (at least a litre or two) will be vapourised near enough instantaniously, essentially forming an explosion, which I would have thought will make a splash.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26/09/2006 20:14:46 »
I do not think lightening strikes reach a million Amps, I think something of the order of 10/100k is more typical.
If you look at the size of grounding conductor that installers use they definitely do not expect a million Amps

syhprum

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29/09/2006 11:23:29 »
Yes, 10 to 100 kA (kA = thousands of Ampères) are typical values.
However, even if sea water is much more conductive than ground, I think it's probable that some liters of water near the sea surface vaporize suddenly, as daveshorts says, making a splash.

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29/09/2006 13:41:35 »
Hmmmm, interesting.  I didn't think about sea water.  I was thinking on the lines of smaller potatoes here...but then, mud puddles etc, might be interesting...I miss being at the lab so we can conduct a little tiny experiment...(oh, no! Now I know where my 2nd inline son found an interest in his "dangerous experiments"  aagghh!  LOL)

"Just Me, Lo" Loretta

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29/09/2006 13:43:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by lightarrow

quote:
Originally posted by science_guy

And about lightning, I dont think it will ever hit water.
Are you sure?

Other lightinings:
http://www.wetter-foto.de/fotos-1-1-all-Blitze.html

Interesting photos...I was in an airplane once taking photos of lightning and the 2nd photo reminds me of one similar that I took...(of course, the other passengers thought I was weird as they were scared just a tadbit..hehe):D

Also, Alberto, thanks for the link as I was about to do some research on the web for some photos of ligthning...now I have several to choose from! Kisses!:)
"Just Me, Lo" Loretta
« Last Edit: 29/09/2006 13:45:40 by moonfire »

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29/09/2006 15:24:27 »
You're welcome.
P.S.
Be careful to lightning strokes. (;))
« Last Edit: 29/09/2006 15:26:21 by lightarrow »

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29/09/2006 22:45:18 »
I know....I would hate to get burned....hehe  You are so cute...I think I do need tutoring lessons for sure now...

"Just Me, Lo" Loretta

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29/09/2006 22:48:28 »
When I worked in the TV service area many years ago I encounted quite a few TV's and Aerials damaged by lightning, the damage was usually relatively minor those tales of TV's exploding, flung across the room etc are normally exaggerations for insurance claims.
Typically what would happen the set owner would remove the power plug from its socket and leave it laying on the floor nearby, when the strike occurred a spark would fly from the TV's mains lead to the power socket and often break the cover.
The receiver might well need a new tuner and of course its fuse's would be blown (in those pre transistor days tuners were more robust).
The damage to the antenna was usually a hole punched in the cable where it crossed the metal guttering but this cost little to repair.

syhprum

Offline bostjan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30/09/2006 08:28:19 »
About four years ago, I was stuck by lightning, indirectly, I think.  I was out to pick up food with my girlfriend during a storm.  I felt the hair on my arms and legs rising up, there was a bright flash and a loud crack.  I felt like I had been burned, but I was ok.  She was ok, too, but she felt the same thing.  There was a metal light fixture about three feet away from us, but I honestly don't think that's where it hit.  I bet it hit a power line and somehow came out the pole and hit me.

I've been shocked by 120V AC before, and this felt nothing at all like that.  The sensation I felt was more like burning or stinging, whereas 120 V AC feels like being poked with tiny pins and needles while pressed against a massager or something.  I wonder if 50 Hz feels any different than 60.  LOL

Offline DocN

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02/10/2006 16:21:44 »
I was reading about lightning at some website which stated--"When a storm cloud discharges electricity to Earth, a small "leader stroke" zigzags toward the ground in about one one-hundredth of a second. Once it touches something-a tree, a pole, a barn or the ground- the electrical circuit is complete and a vast surge of electricity, the lightning bolt, roars up the path established by the leader stroke. Thus the lightning stroke generally goes from the highest object on the ground up to the cloud. It looks as if it happens the other way around-from the cloud to the ground. The human eye cannot follow the formation of a lightning stroke because it shoots skyward in about one-millionth of a second."  It didn't say anything about going from a souce of water, upward to the clouds.
DocN

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10/10/2006 13:36:20 »
When they say "ground" they mean terrain or water.

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10/10/2006 15:38:58 »
if a boat gets stuck in the water a major issue is that the telaphone on it doesn't work. it wouldn't work because it doesn't have enuf power to reach. with me so far? so in a storm the water mite cunduct the lightning to the boat(hypothetically) so wat if there was a device that takes the lighning's power and uses it on the boat. kinda like a sloarpanel except with lightning....im so smart lol

NEVER! underestimate youth

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10/10/2006 16:24:31 »
Its very dangerous for livestock too

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10/10/2006 20:49:41 »
Tough sheep you have Hadrian! Maybe I will see them when I go to Ireland...hehe

"Just Me, Lo" Loretta

another_someone

« Reply #20 on: 10/10/2006 22:49:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by bostjan
I've been shocked by 120V AC before, and this felt nothing at all like that.  The sensation I felt was more like burning or stinging, whereas 120 V AC feels like being poked with tiny pins and needles while pressed against a massager or something.  I wonder if 50 Hz feels any different than 60.  LOL

Not so much the 50hz, but we don't believe in puny 120V systems over here - we use 230/240V - and yes, I have been shocked by 240V in my youth - just made me jump a bit (but it was not a prolonged shock - otherwise I would probably not be here to tell you of it).  Ofcourse, I have also been stung by low power, high voltage, devices such as van der graff generators, which make 240V seem puny, but they don't have much current.

George

Offline george

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13/10/2006 23:03:41 »
Here's an interesting take on the lightning story from elsewhere on the site.

It's an article by Chris on lightning and whether lightning can power a town...

George
« Last Edit: 14/01/2007 20:52:25 by daveshorts »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #21 on: 13/10/2006 23:03:41 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums