The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do you beleive Physics leaves room for God?  (Read 26732 times)

Offline jccc

• View Profile
Re: Do you beleive Physics leaves room for God?
« Reply #50 on: 14/02/2015 02:05:32 »
If there is only light without night

Sound without silence

Love without hate

Evil without good

Smart without smarter

Woman without man

Live without die

How to complete a circle?

Without changing what is life?

When a circle is made, where to find an end?
« Last Edit: 15/02/2015 23:43:20 by jccc »

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 14/02/2015 02:51:51 »
We are creating robots now.

We want it as smart as possible, But I doubt we want it to be smarter than us.

As science advances, one day our robot maybe have life, feeling and love. We make it look a beauty, marry her and divorce our wife. 

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 14/02/2015 07:03:53 »
Earth year 2188, a deadly virus attack killed all human but 1 top scientist who able to clone/create any life form.

You are that scientist.

What are you going to do?

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 14/02/2015 18:16:59 »
Rebuild my wife. Perfection.

« Last Edit: 14/02/2015 18:20:37 by alancalverd »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 14/02/2015 18:20:03 »
Seriously, who is more superstition?

People who believe time travel, QM, gravity wave, photon, strong and weak forces, and God.

Or people who believe time travel, QM, gravity wave, photon, strong and weak forces, not God.

Truth will seek you when you induce it.

So far, we have seen photons, and QM, strong and weak forces give us a pretty good description of the aorld around us. No need for belief, and certainly no room for it in science.

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 14/02/2015 22:24:07 »
We are creating robots now.

We want it as smart as possible, But I doubt we want it to be smarter than us.

The main aim should be to make it smarter than humans so that it can enforce computational morality and stop all the stupid humans abusing each other. This wouldn't be so urgent if we didn't have so many superstitious beliefs causing people to go around killing each other on the behalf of imaginary friends.

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 15/02/2015 02:42:26 »
every charge within us connected by force since day 1 to day 7

our force body sleep together since day 1 to day 7.

who is u who is me

without u where is me

Offline diethyl

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 15/02/2015 06:10:19 »
God only exists in the human imagination, the physical is a concept of reality,  they couldn't coexist. I think so.

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 15/02/2015 06:42:39 »
open your palm dividing above and below

reach your arm defining wast and east

point a finger tingling the sun

kiss the moon with soft dreams

peter ?

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 15/02/2015 17:45:24 »
if your eyes are ok

why did you see crashing birds all the time

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 15/02/2015 23:44:31 »
if you are smarter

why believe monkey was your father

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 15/02/2015 23:48:33 »
wish you great weekend

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 16/02/2015 00:41:21 »
if you are smarter

why believe monkey was your father
A typical ignorant belief from someone who is ignorant of evolution.

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 16/02/2015 03:02:48 »
one morning when you see a monkey in the mirror

be happy you are home free

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 16/02/2015 09:33:17 »
Quantum Electrodynamics was the sole reason I became spiritual and began to believe in something greater.

By all means Physics does not work with the same type of God you mean. However, it practically requires a higher power to have kickstarted everything.

When you truely seek answers, read openly, learn how the universe works, and then apply top down logic, rather then bottom up, and suddenly you'll find yourself needing not to ask us if Physics leaves room for something greater, but parroting the same words I am to others who want to know the answer to that same question.

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 16/02/2015 10:06:02 »
Everyday the briege between religion and science shortens. They are getting closer to being able to explain the origins of consciousness. And the origin of consciousness, is nothing less than the godhead itself.

Physics not only leaves room for god, It opens and expands it!

Online chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 16/02/2015 14:26:38 »
Quantum Electrodynamics was the sole reason I became spiritual and began to believe in something greater.

Wait I thought you didn't believe in quantum anything! Now it is the basis of your spiritual worldview?

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 16/02/2015 16:00:54 »
Everyday the briege between religion and science shortens. They are getting closer to being able to explain the origins of consciousness. And the origin of consciousness, is nothing less than the godhead itself.

Please let us have your definition of consciousness.  And the experimental observation that led you to determine its origin.

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 16/02/2015 18:20:10 »

Things of a quantum nature have driven many minds to madness.

By all means Physics does not work with the same type of God you mean. However, it practically requires a higher power to have kickstarted everything.

And the higher power kickstarts itself? You're in an infinity trap where you can never have a top God to start the process. You have to have one at the top who was not created but simply relies on what it finds already existing, and that makes it an ordinary being just like us.

When you truely seek answers, read openly, learn how the universe works, and then apply top down logic, rather then bottom up, and suddenly you'll find yourself needing not to ask us if Physics leaves room for something greater, but parroting the same words I am to others who want to know the answer to that same question.

Your top down logic isn't logic - it's guesswork with holes all through it. The answer is that God is logically impossible and belongs to those who are irrational. These magical thinkers then serve as a reservoir from which terrorists inevitably emerge as the quarter-wits amongst them decide to try to do their religion by the book instead of doing it in a half-baked manner like the semi-rational rest.

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 16/02/2015 18:44:02 »
ok.

quantum physics IS kabbalah. eat your yea but, no it's not, so what bullshit resistance programs and do research. Torah and Tenach, the Old testament of the Bible, when read in it's original text in Hebrew is a four-dimensional narrative. Jews do not believe the world was created in a six day work week. Take that King James V and wipe your ass with it. Sacred geometry, egg, seed, tree, flower, fruit, tree of life. as above, so below. as within, so without. Goetia. Toroidal energy. The rest is up to you

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 16/02/2015 21:15:33 »

Please let us have your definition of consciousness.  And the experimental observation that led you to determine its origin.

all things are forces. once you learned matter, you will find dark matter.

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 17/02/2015 03:48:25 »
science is connecting dots

who is your teacher hero god

einstain said we are leaves on the tree of life

jobs said what's the greatest invention

who said god is love

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 17/02/2015 04:18:00 »
When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: ďIf you live each day as if it was your last, someday youíll most certainly be right.Ē It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: ďIf today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?Ē And whenever the answer has been ďNoĒ for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.

Remembering that Iíll be dead soon is the most important tool Iíve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything ó all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure Ė these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

About a year ago I was diagnosed with cancer. I had a scan at 7:30 in the morning, and it clearly showed a tumor on my pancreas. I didnít even know what a pancreas was. The doctors told me this was almost certainly a type of cancer that is incurable, and that I should expect to live no longer than three to six months. My doctor advised me to go home and get my affairs in order, which is doctorís code for prepare to die. It means to try to tell your kids everything you thought youíd have the next 10 years to tell them in just a few months. It means to make sure everything is buttoned up so that it will be as easy as possible for your family. It means to say your goodbyes.

I lived with that diagnosis all day. Later that evening I had a biopsy, where they stuck an endoscope down my throat, through my stomach and into my intestines, put a needle into my pancreas and got a few cells from the tumor. I was sedated, but my wife, who was there, told me that when they viewed the cells under a microscope the doctors started crying because it turned out to be a very rare form of pancreatic cancer that is curable with surgery. I had the surgery and Iím fine now.

This was the closest Iíve been to facing death, and I hope itís the closest I get for a few more decades. Having lived through it, I can now say this to you with a bit more certainty than when death was a useful but purely intellectual concept:

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven donít want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Lifeís change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so donít waste it living someone elseís life. Donít be trapped by dogma ó which is living with the results of other peopleís thinking. Donít let the noise of othersí opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

your friend steve jobs
« Last Edit: 17/02/2015 04:54:57 by jccc »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 17/02/2015 06:14:07 »
At last, an interesting point - and one that I am due to lecture on tomorrow!

Having eliminated most communicable diseases, and possessing the capacity to grow all the food we need, mankind (at least some of us) is working on eliminating or curing the remaining causes of death: cancer, heart disease, dementia....and even on the potential for producing an immortal baby.

Is this a Good Thing?

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 17/02/2015 17:30:41 »
Contemplation of death should not lead anyone to believe in fairies. There is nothing in nature that can be created or destroyed other than compound objects which may be dismantled or put together, but the sentience within us (the soul) cannot be a compound object in which the whole can feel while none of the parts do. Whatever it is that's sentient is eternal. Ask yourself where you were before this life. Did you pop into existence out of nothing? What kind of magic would that require? Can you pop back out of existence into nothing? Again that would require magic. Can you be banned from repeating a magic trick which you have performed at least once already? Maybe, but why should there be such a stupid ban in place. In physics there is talk of things pinging into existence out of nothing, but the word "nothing" does not mean nothing - it is simply something that is beyond reach and which cannot validly be discussed within physics but is instead passed to philosophy. The sentience (the thing in us that feels) is doubtless eternal (if sentience is real at all, but that's another discussion) and it doesn't need fictions about magical fairies to make it so. Open your mind to better possibilities which don't require the inclusion of silly fairies.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #74 on: 17/02/2015 17:30:41 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums