The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How far back could we see ?  (Read 2583 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
How far back could we see ?
« on: 27/09/2006 00:16:58 »
Dear Clever Bods,

Will we ever be able to build a telescope to see way back to the creation of the Universe ?

Would we, living inside the universe, be able to see the point when it came into existence ?...

I don't think so...but my head aches thinking about it and I am sure this is the type of question which people have asked many times.

whajafink ?

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Re: How far back could we see ?
« Reply #1 on: 27/09/2006 04:42:34 »
Hi neil

I very much doubt it.

As the universe is expanding faster the the speed of light but our historical view of the universe is restricted to the speed of light wouldn that mean we will always be playing catch up if you get what i mean................

I could be wrong.

MAYBE NEW BATTERIES FOR YOUR TORCH WOULD HELP :)

Michael
« Last Edit: 27/09/2006 04:46:58 by ukmicky »

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 27/09/2006 11:46:36 »
The problem is that the early universe was hot and opaque, like a burning star (but only more so).  Before we could see the early universe, we would first have to be able to look into the core of a burning star.

In a direct sense, this is clearly not possible with light (in any case, light would have red shifted so far that we would not be seeing it as light today - and the earliest views of what we can see of our universe are even now seen as microwave radio waves, although they would have been very much hotter at the time).  Whether we might be able to see back in some other indirect way (e.g. in the way that we are searching for neutrinos emitted from within our Sun, so too there may be some other particle emitted very much earlier in the universe that may one day be seen).

At the absolute point of the Big Bang (if that is what it was), there was only one particle that represented the entire universe, that particle was the singularity that caused the Bang itself.  Clearly, if there is only one particle, then we could not see anything emitted from it, at least not until there were many particles, and of those many particles, most would have formed the universe that we see around us, so all we could possibly be looking for is the bits that were left over after the rest of the universe was formed.

George

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/09/2006 05:08:36 »
WOW,  Looking into the core of a burning star, thats a pretty awesome thought!! I cannot even imagine...

Karen

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02/10/2006 22:00:56 »
THANK YOU GEORGE, THANK YOU MICAHEL (HUGS to The Karen Mam)..

Still....at least there's a chance I could look back to last Tuesday as I put my pen down somewhere and I can't find it anywhere...!!..

ACTUALLY........that would be weird wouldn't it ?....say there was a way to travel from here to a place before the light from here got there...perhaps take a short cut via warp or something ...that way we could actually look back on ourselves couldn't we ?

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 02/10/2006 22:00:56 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums