The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can tumours be destroyed by blocking cancer cell glycolysis?  (Read 2677 times)

Offline ron123456

• View Profile
     Perhaps it is possible to destroy a predominant enzyme within a tumor cell via magnetic resonance.

Targeting and destroying by resonance the Pyruvate Kinase M2 enzyme would stop glycolysis in cancer cells and thus destroy them.  Normal cell mitochondria respiration's glycolysis pre-step uses Pyruvate Kinase M1 and should not be affected due to the M1 enzyme having a different physical structure from the M2 enzyme and thus a different resonant frequency. It may be possible to kill the tumors in typical MRI slices using a MRI concept type of machine; not necessarily resonating hydrogen, but resonating whatever is required in the M2 target enzyme to break it apart.
   The machine's superconducting magnetic coil and gradient coil would both surround only the tumor area and have a variable physical size outside the body.

Assisting explanation:
  newbielink:http://www.howequipmentworks.com/mri_basics/#hydrogen_nuclei [nonactive]

This would provide a gradient of increased resonant frequencies, generating typical MRI slices of the tumor. This gradient of increased resonant frequencies would protect any other Pyruvate Kinase M2 enzymes outside the MRI slices (if present, but unlikely, in the area) since they would have a lower resonant frequency. These gradient resonant frequencies could now be overdriven by a RF coil causing a percentage of these Pyruvate Kinase M2 enzymes to break apart. Then the process would be repeated for a specific dose to the patient until the tumor is destroyed.
« Last Edit: 11/05/2015 23:18:08 by chris »

Offline Ana123456

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Destroying tumors by halting cancer cell glycolysis
« Reply #1 on: 13/04/2015 03:47:15 »
Please continue your research. I think you are on the right track. I like the way you are approaching treatment. Keep posting!!!

Offline ron123456

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14/04/2015 13:43:23 »
This is the diagram that was used as a hypothesis:

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/04/2015 14:06:29 »
It *might* be possible to destroy one and not the other using some kind of device, but the MRI is not that device. The MRI doesn't make the hydrogen atoms or molecules jiggle. It interacts with the magnetic field of the nucleus, and this ultimately has no effect on the stability of the molecules.

I suspect it would be easier to develop a drug that selectively deactivates one enzyme over the other.

Offline ron123456

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20/04/2015 19:06:44 »
Thank you chiralSPO for the assistance....very much appreciated....I do have a concern about chemo....The next two sentences are quoted. "Chemotherapy and radiation have difficulty penetrating the core of a solid tumor." In addition, for this continuing particular discussion: " An enzyme's activity decreases markedly outside it's optimal temperature and pH."

Here's my thought: Perhaps introducing a paramagnetic metal on the nanoparticle scale throughout a tumor and vibrating this metal via an external reversing magnetic field could provide the frictional heat required to vary an enzyme's optimal temperature thus decreasing it's activity substantially. Again, an external adjustable device (i.e. field source) that surrounds the tumor can easily be used. The nanomaterial of metal would be coated with an enzyme sensitive nanoparticle coating attracting the metal within proximity throughout the tumor to the pyruvate kinase M2 (PKM2) enzymes. (see diagram above). Hopefully this would be more effective in the dispersion of the metal throughout the tumor than attracting them with monoclonal antibodies to the cancer cells' antigens.

I read that employing RNA to allow an enzyme shift from PKM2 to PKM1 has experimentally reduced the ability to form tumors in mice. Varying the optimal temperature of the environment around the PKM2 enzymes would hopefully decrease their activity in a similar fashion causing a problem for cancer cells.

« Last Edit: 30/04/2015 17:41:50 by ron123456 »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 20/04/2015 19:06:44 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums