The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Blood alcohol test  (Read 4215 times)

drkev

Blood alcohol test
« on: 15/12/2003 17:18:38 »
Is there any way that this test can show positive for alcohol when the person hasn't drunk for 3 weeks?

My friend had not had a drop of alcohol for at least 48 hours as I was with him for this period of time and I can testify that he had not drunk a drop.

He informed me that he had not drunk anything for 3 weeks. I only have his word for this though.

However, when stopped by the police, they breathalised him which showed up positive. He was tested at the police station and gave a blood sample. All turned up positive when I know for a fact he hadn't drunk anything.

Any suggestions?

Live long and Love life

Kevin Fisher

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Blood alcohol test
« Reply #1 on: 15/12/2003 23:00:47 »
It's possible that he may have eaten something containing alcohol. There was the case of the infamous 'Christmas Cake' a year or so ago involving a women who, when stopped by the police, tested positive for excess alcohol despite, she claimed, having consumed virtually none.

The story she told the court was that she had eaten some of a relative's (liberally alcohol-dosed) Christmas cake which, on examination of the recipe, turned out to contain significant amounts of booze !

So if your friend isn't lying about drinking (which I suspect they are) then it must be down to something they ate. The breath, urine and blood tests in combination are a robust measure of blood alcohol. There are no conditions that would produce a spurious result across all the tests. Blood analysis is the gold standard.

How over the limit was your friend ?

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17/12/2003 01:10:56 »
I've heard of people blowing over the limit after using mouthwash, but that wouldn't affect blood levels.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #3 on: 17/12/2003 17:12:17 »
...unless you drank it ;)

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

The Naked Scientists Forum