The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Where are the moderators?  (Read 1494 times)

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Where are the moderators?
« on: 01/03/2015 13:15:08 »
This discussion board is in desperate need of moderators but they all seem to be lax in their duties. What's going on with them? Members such as Ophiolite, PhysBang, jccc etc. are causing problems by repeated violations of the forum rules. TNS has gone to pot very quickly as a result. However regardless of how many reports are sent in they're all ignored.

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Where are the moderators?
« Reply #1 on: 01/03/2015 19:14:09 »
They're probably doing an experiment to see if people can moderate themselves.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 02/03/2015 14:12:47 »

Possibly... When I posted to the latest 9/11 conspiracy thread, "Not another conspiracy theorist." I had no intention of posting anything else to that thread.

I am proud to say that despite all, I have stuck to my guns. I will not be drawn into one of these threads' where there is no end to the pointless arguing.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04/03/2015 06:58:24 »
That doesn't stop the flamers who came here and violate forum rules. These people can't understand the rule that says "Keep it friendly - Do not use insulting, aggressive, or provocative language." Ophiolite violates that rule on a daily basis in at least two forums, usually based on something he's ignorant about. That rule is listed here
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=8535.0
« Last Edit: 04/03/2015 20:10:48 by PmbPhy »

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04/03/2015 20:34:02 »
Quote from: PmbPhy
...usually based on something he's ignorant about.
Case in point regarding Ophiolite's propensity for being disrespectful me in every single post that he makes which mentions me.   I was chatting with wadegardner entitled How can you understand gravity and dark matter?. wadegardner was talking about what he referred to as the "backyard" giving examples to clarify what he meant by that term. From that I knew that by "back yard" he meant our own environment at sea level where the environment is at Standard Atmosphere and Pressure (STP) and where the acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s2. And sure. That may very well also mean in my own physical backyard too. In response to that post I said
First of all when I said "my own back yard" I was referring to our environment at sea level, i.e. Standard Pressure, Temperature and Pressure (STP).
wadegardner response to my comments in that thread was
PmbPhy, when you were talking about your backyard when you were bashing my ideas, I thought you were actually talking about your house backyard.  That is what it sounded like.  Thank you for the clarification.  you made my day.

Then, in his usual rude tone, Ophiolite responded by posting the following, quite ignorant, nonsense
Perhaps, PmbPhy you should take your own advice. It was very clear, from context, that wade used the term "own back yard" to refer to environments currently accessible to us. He even gave examples of such environments, in order to avoid ambiguity.
And this is right after I said that I read his examples and from that it was clear how he defined "back yard" and that wadegardner indicated to me that I was right on track with it. This is precisely the kind of childish stuff that he does every single day.

He's sloppy like that when he's searching for ways to be rude and he wants to be rude all the time with every chance he gets. And what royally pisses me off is that the moderators do nothing about it. They make a rule stating the following
Do not use insulting, aggressive, or provocative language.

If you feel another forum user is using insulting language, seek to calm things down, or if that fails, report the matter to the moderators.  Under no circumstances should you seek to trade insults, or make accusatory remarks to that, or any other, forum user.

Show respect to other forum users. In particular, there are times when forum users might post about delicate personal issues.  Please refrain from trivialising or making inappropriate remarks, or remarks that might embarrass the poster.
Name one person on this forum who actually believes that Ophiolite is actually following that part of the rules? Does anybody know him to be respectful? Respectful to me? Does the rules say? "Only be respectful to the people you like?" No. It doesn't.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 04/03/2015 20:34:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums