The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is there are charge energy equivalence?  (Read 1313 times)

Online jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
Is there are charge energy equivalence?
« on: 03/03/2015 22:16:39 »
Since there is a mass energy equivalence could there be or is there a charge energy equivalence.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is there are charge energy equivalence?
« Reply #1 on: 04/03/2015 00:03:34 »
Since there is a mass energy equivalence could there be or is there a charge energy equivalence.
Not directly. However since charge generates an electric field and there's energy associated with an electric field then there's a relationship between the energy and the charge in a system. For example; suppose you have a capacitor whose capacitance is C and is charged to the level Q then the energy in the cap is U = Q2/2C.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/capeng.html

Online jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/03/2015 00:36:08 »
Not directly. However since charge generates an electric field and there's energy associated with an electric field then there's a relationship between the energy and the charge in a system. For example; suppose you have a capacitor whose capacitance is C and is charged to the level Q then the energy in the cap is U = Q2/2C.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/capeng.html

Thanks Pete. I couldn't see how there could be a direct connection as it is like comparing apples and pears. I might read up on this a bit more.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04/03/2015 02:27:27 »
Quote from: jeffreyH
Thanks Pete. I couldn't see how there could be a direct connection as it is like comparing apples and pears. I might read up on this a bit more.
You're most welcome. In this case the energy is defined as the work required to charge the capacitor.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 04/03/2015 02:27:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums