The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can you cure a cat allergy?  (Read 3375 times)

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Can you cure a cat allergy?
« on: 05/03/2015 19:18:46 »
I'm a little allergic to cats. I get itchy and a runny nose when around them for a long time. I'm considering getting a cat and called the pharmacist asking about Allegra to help reduce the symptoms of the allergy. Has anybody ever had this problem and solved it or made it livable with an allergy medication?
« Last Edit: 12/03/2015 10:23:50 by Georgia »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Re: Cat allergy
« Reply #1 on: 06/03/2015 08:25:31 »
Have a chat with your doctor before embarking on longterm Allergan: I gather that it has some serious contraindications.

Better to minimise the problem if it's not completely disabling: search for "hypoallergenic cat breeds". Continuous exposure to an allergen can exacerbate the symptoms.

Online evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/03/2015 09:02:48 »
To minimise cat allergies: get a dog or a budgie instead.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06/03/2015 19:06:16 »
Quote from: evan_au
To minimise cat allergies: get a dog or a budgie instead.
I don't want a dog. As you may know I'm disabled. And while I'm not confined to a wheel chair and can walk comfortably in most instances and for a good fraction of the time, my ability to walk is very undependable. There are days when its very painful to go for a walk and dogs need a master who can be reliable when it comes to taking them for a walk.'

With my allergy its not that bad. I merely get a little itchy and my nose gets a bit stuffy. It's not serious at all.

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06/03/2015 21:52:04 »
With my allergy its not that bad. I merely get a little itchy and my nose gets a bit stuffy. It's not serious at all.

If you come across someone with a bad allergy maybe you can help their decision making process using a well recognised formula:

M=Ec2

Where:
M=misery factor! a measure of how miserable you will be in the presence of a cat.
c= number of cats x exposure time in seconds. (cat seconds)
E=exposure adjustment factor. Measure of the effect of exposure to 1 standard cat.
This is a scale of 0 to 100, 0 = no effect, 100 = life threatening. Although this can be estimated by the subject on a subjective scale, for an accurate measurement you require a standard cat and a measurement chamber of 2 standard cat diameter. The cat is swung at a steady rate of 10 rpm for 1 minute and the subject is then brought into the chamber to measure the effect against a series of standardised tests eg eye redness colour charts, nose drip volume, sneeze force, etc. this produces a measure in Standard Cat Effects, unit of Pussies.
So now you can calculate M in pussycat seconds.

On the other hand, they might just buy a job lot of anti allergy medicine.

Hope that helps  :)

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11/03/2015 19:03:08 »
I got the cat yesterday and it turns out that I'm not allergic to cats!

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11/03/2015 20:23:06 »
That's wonderful news Pete, but just in case it ever gives you a problem, I have a friend that claims that Zyrtec, (not sure about the spelling}, is the best allergy treatment on the market. But I also agree with alan, a visit to your family doctor would also be recommended.
« Last Edit: 11/03/2015 23:14:11 by Ethos_ »

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12/03/2015 14:00:59 »
That's wonderful news Pete, but just in case it ever gives you a problem, I have a friend that claims that Zyrtec, (not sure about the spelling}, is the best allergy treatment on the market. But I also agree with alan, a visit to your family doctor would also be recommended.
I'm sure that you're right. I use Allegra myself and it works nicely. I had a slight itchiness in one eye on occasion so it appears that I might have spoken too soon.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 12/03/2015 14:00:59 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums