The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Trying to Identify for my Dad, Please help?  (Read 3656 times)

Offline Coolgems312

• First timers
    • View Profile
Trying to Identify for my Dad, Please help?
« on: 19/03/2015 01:54:39 »
We are trying to identify this object of unknown origin. We were told it could be a meteorite; we went online to several meteorite identification sites and have done some home tests. This is what we know:
It has a blue crystal-like thin crust in some areas, and a weak attraction to a magnet. It leaves a light grey streak on non-glazed porcelain, and when a sample was crushed there was some grey powder, some shinny micro bulbs that flattened to micro flakes. It was very hard to cut with a hack saw (8 blades) and when chipped, revels chrome like micro bubbles with no holes. When sawed it looks like chrome and under magnifying revels nano flake, rainbow effect sparkle, almost like extremely micro glitter. Following reputable specific gravity tests instructions, it shows a specific gravity of 6.67 grams. This Specimen also has an extremely unique feature of a naturally embedded image of a bearded mans face when you look at the right side an angle of the object. We have looked at thousands of images of ore, minerals, rocks, gems, meteorites, and meteor wrongs, ect. The thin coating of the blue strongly suggests it to be an extremely rare meteorite in the 1-2% range, we live in Minnesota and do not want to send it away for testing. We have been warned about samples being lost. We received this object in a pale of Agates, a geode, some quartz, and other rocks and minerals for helping a stranded traveler get back on the road 20+ years ago. We saw a show on TV about meteorites and started looking at this one just recently. Again, this object has an unknown origin. My dad is 52 years old and has been around foundry, worked with scrap iron for years, an automotive, and construction and spent a lot of time with a shovel ad he has never seen anything like it before. Not sharp edges, except when chipped or cut, has thumb-print like areas, no flat spots, cone shaped with possible flow lines. We think this object is unique and rare because of the image in it. If it is a rare meteorite, it would be a great discovery, if it is not a meteorite, that would be great news as well. Any help identifying this object would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: 20/03/2015 00:56:13 by Coolgems312 »

Offline Coolgems312

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to Identify for my Dad, Please help?
« Reply #1 on: 19/03/2015 01:59:05 »
Here is another picture

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/03/2015 02:38:36 »
... It was very hard to cut with a hack saw (8 blades) and when chipped, revels chrome like micro bubbles ...

Quote from: geology.utah.gov
... Most meteorites donít have vesicles [bubbles]
http://geology.utah.gov/map-pub/survey-notes/glad-you-asked/meteorite-or-meteorwrong/

Quote from: uky.edu
... If the specimen is shiny on the outside it is not a meteorite.
http://www.uky.edu/KGS/education/meteor_find.htm

Try posting the photo on the "mindat" forum ... http://www.mindat.org/forum.php
« Last Edit: 19/03/2015 13:07:19 by RD »

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19/03/2015 22:30:01 »
The picture is too low resolution to be able to determine much.  That's a fairly high specific gravity- about the only two common minerals I can think of that are weakly magnetic and that heavy are wolframite and tantalite.  Neither have a white streak- and neither tends to have vesicles?  Thin coating of blue could be pleochroism.
Don't believe that helps much?

Offline Coolgems312

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20/03/2015 00:28:38 »
I tried to Get good pictures to upload, but they wouldn't cause they are too big, so I tried to resize them without messing the picture up too much. I will try to post them on a site that will allow me to upload the full size image.

And yes it does help actually, gives us more things to try and research, thanks =)

Offline Bill S

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20/03/2015 22:02:46 »
how sure are you that the streak is white?  From the OP it seemed as though the specimen was too hard to do anything other than scratch the streak plate.

Offline Coolgems312

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23/03/2015 03:30:09 »
I edited the post- It's not a white streak, it's a light grey streak.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 23/03/2015 03:30:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length