The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Current experiments will never detect gravity waves  (Read 1758 times)

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
Due to my investigations of the wave and how it may interact with the gravitational field I have come to the conclusion that gravity waves will never be detected with the methods currently employed. The field disturbances will not show up in the ways that we expect. It is my intention in the near future to show exactly why this is correct.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Current experiments will never detect gravity waves
« Reply #1 on: 21/03/2015 21:34:55 »
Due to my investigations of the wave and how it may interact with the gravitational field I have come to the conclusion that gravity waves will never be detected with the methods currently employed. The field disturbances will not show up in the ways that we expect. It is my intention in the near future to show exactly why this is correct.
Jeff - Physicists much smarter and more knowledgeable than all of us have demonstrated that statement to be false. I think it was Kip Thorne and Clifford Will that helped design Ligo. Have you looked into Ligo?

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/03/2015 22:58:53 »
Jeff - Physicists much smarter and more knowledgeable than all of us have demonstrated that statement to be false. I think it was Kip Thorne and Clifford Will that helped design Ligo. Have you looked into Ligo?

I knew that you would have to answer this one Pete. No matter how smart the physicists it doesn't make them right. What I say also doesn't make me right. It is up to me to back up the statements that I make. I don't make that statement lightly.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22/03/2015 00:05:51 »
Quote from: jeffreyH
I knew that you would have to answer this one Pete.
You know me too well my friend. :)

No matter how smart the physicists it doesn't make them right.
I'm sure that you're well aware of the fact that I know this all too well, right? Otherwise I'd be a raving idiot to believe such things. What I'm saying is that Ligo has been designed very well by physicists whose life work is this subject. Believing that you've got it right at this early point in your physics education and they've been wrong for the last half or a century is a bit arrogant in my opinion. Please don't take that as an insult because it's not meant to be one. Whenever I come up with an idea where I think I've got something right when everyone else has been wrong before me I take my idea to other physicists who know the subject much better than I do to make sure that I haven't missed a subtle point or have deluded myself. Why don't you take that as your next step? I can refer to an authority in general relativity if you'd like so you cab bounce your idea off of them?  You're well aware that scientific papers must be peer reviewed for this very purpose.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22/03/2015 00:24:22 »
I knew that you would have to answer this one Pete.
You know me too well my friend. :)

No matter how smart the physicists it doesn't make them right.
I'm sure that you're well aware of the fact that I know this all too well, right? Otherwise I'd be a raving idiot to believe such things. What I'm saying is that Ligo has been designed very well by physicists whose life work is this subject. Believing that you've got it right at this early point in your physics education and they've been wrong for the last half or a century is a bit arrogant in my opinion. Please don't take that as an insult because it's not meant to be one. Whenever I come up with an idea where I think I've got something right when everyone else has been wrong before me I take my idea to other physicists who know the subject much better than I do to make sure that I haven't missed a subtle point or have deluded myself. Why don't you take that as your next step? I can refer to an authority in general relativity if you'd like so you cab bounce your idea off of them?  You're well aware that scientific papers must be peer reviewed for this very purpose.

I hope they do find gravity waves. That would be a fantastic achievement. I will take your offer under consideration. I am not quite ready to put the ideas forward just yet.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22/03/2015 01:34:11 »
So LIGO should be fully calibrated and operational by the fall of 2015. It will then start recording possible events. The analysis will come later. From what I have read the accuracy should now be good enough to routinely detect gravitational waves from potential sources. My bet is on no data again. I tell you what Pete. If they do detect them I will send you a bottle of wine. How's that?

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22/03/2015 02:21:12 »
So LIGO should be fully calibrated and operational by the fall of 2015. It will then start recording possible events. The analysis will come later. From what I have read the accuracy should now be good enough to routinely detect gravitational waves from potential sources. My bet is on no data again. I tell you what Pete. If they do detect them I will send you a bottle of wine. How's that?
Sounds good to me, buddy! :)  Just keep in mind that just because they don't detect a gravitational wave it doesn't mean that experiment is flawed. It could very well mean that there just isn't a gravitational wave present to be detected.
« Last Edit: 22/03/2015 02:49:36 by PmbPhy »

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22/03/2015 05:43:26 »
Due to my investigations of the wave and how it may interact with the gravitational field ...
I noticed that you never explained yourself. Will you please explain what you learned in your investigations? You talk about the wave and how it interacts with gravity. Do you understand that the wave is also "gravity" itself? Both the wave and the gravitational fields and curvatures in spacetime.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 22/03/2015 05:43:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length