The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Physical attractiveness and dating  (Read 3225 times)

Offline JJVIGGIANO

• View Profile
Physical attractiveness and dating
« on: 04/10/2006 22:25:22 »
Does money buy looks? How often are couples evenly matched for physical attractiveness (by symmetry, attractiveness ratings or other measures)? In couples who are not evenly matched in this way, how often does the less attractrive member of the couple make more money? A few of my psychology textbooks use vague terms like "almost always" and "generally" when mentioning their statistics. Looking at celebrities alone, I can only think of one couple unevenly matched for attractiveness, where both were wealthy and famous when they met.

Offline gecko

• View Profile
Re: Physical attractiveness and dating
« Reply #1 on: 05/10/2006 05:46:01 »
i have my doubts about that as well. there is so much subjectiveness going on.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/10/2006 08:00:48 »
I doubt that also.. I have in my experience not found that to be true!

Karen

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 05/10/2006 09:53:42 »
Henry Kissinger is quoted as saying that power (not money) is a great aphrodisiac.  Then again, one might also suggest that people who have charisma can find that to be a useful key to power, so one can ask whether it is the acquisition of power that is the key, or the tools that one can use to acquire power over the masses may also be used to acquire power over individuals of the opposite sex.

But, I have no doubt that there are some women who do deliberately chase after power (and some who no doubt deliberately chase after wealth).

In the opposite direction, men chasing after powerful or wealthy women, is a more complex issue.  There may well be some men who do chase after wealth or power in women, but probably far more will find such to be intimidating (a man has to be either extremely cynical or supremely self confident in himself to be able to cope with a woman with more money or more power or even more intelligence than he has it is something that traditionally runs counter to the gender stereotypes that most people have of themselves).

George

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05/10/2006 12:09:56 »
The other point to remember is that what is attractive to one person is not to another. There has been talk about people with differing MHC having a greater mutual attraction than people with similar MHC , which increases the gene pool variation.

MHC is the major histocompatibility complex, this is what allows our immune systems to distinguish between 'self' and 'foreign' tissues and so must be matched up, for example, for organ donation.

There is undoubtedly some truth in the concept that 'power attracts', although what that 'power' is may vary from culture to culture and even species to species. In purely biological terms, each potential mother want's the best genes and greatest advantage for their offspring (and males too where they have a role in child-rearing). Being humans, with a greater degree of 'rising above our genetics', also brings into play other cultural/political/socioeconomic factors.

Personally I have never chosen my partners according to wealth - I'd be a lot more financially secure if I had   :)

Gaia  xxx

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06/10/2006 15:33:01 »
Yeperoo, Mee too! Frankly we have lived about poverty level most of my life.. We have managed quite well on a shoestring .. we do better now then before, but we have always worked hard.. never looked at each other as money being an issue ever!! I could never be with someone who felt that money was a big deal as far as to fall in love or not to...LOL sounds like such a joke, and yet I see people do it all the time!
I want real love...LOL should be song!! LOL

Karen
« Last Edit: 14/10/2006 12:35:45 by Karen W. »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 06/10/2006 15:33:01 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums