The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is the speed of light different in different directions?  (Read 4705 times)

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is the speed of light different in different directions?
« Reply #25 on: 14/05/2015 22:52:21 »
If the speed of light was different in different directions then the force between charged objects would be a function of the orientation of the line which passes through both objects since the speed of light is defined in terms of the permittivity of free space.
« Last Edit: 15/05/2015 12:46:56 by PmbPhy »

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15/05/2015 00:14:22 »
If the speed of light was different in different directions ......... since the speed of light is defined in terms of the permeability of free space.
So you're saying that any aether would have to change μ0 in different directions. Never thought of that, in fact never really thought of what physical properties an aether might need to have.
If it existed could it also be dielectrice in one direction only, in which case ε0 would need to change in one direction only?
I'll go away and think about that

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15/05/2015 03:03:47 »
Picture a square room with a lamp in the middle. The headlights effect keeps all four walls equally well lit at any speed of travel. The headlights effect should also apply to forces, concentrating them forwards and spreading them out more backwards so that when they arrive they feel exactly the same as normal.

Offline Even2

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15/05/2015 04:52:08 »
interesting article and comments.
My thought is that the universe and everything in it is travelling at the speed of light through space.
And that is the reason that the speed of light is what it its.
Even 2

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15/05/2015 05:20:53 »
if you put 2 electrons 1 km apart, measure the repulsion force, f=ke x 1/1000^2.

now if 1 electron vibrates the other 1 will experience force wave/pause at same frequency.

that's how force/energy transfer in space. no particle or medium needed.

light is electrostatic force wave, the force is already there, between the source and the target, when the source is dancing, the target is waving.   

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 15/05/2015 12:48:21 »
Quote from: Colin2B
So you're saying that any aether ...
Why are you talking about an ether when modern physics doesn't acknowledge the existence of such a thing? An ether is superfluous in the modern theory of relativity. It was hypothesized to exist in order to support the motion of light. When it was found that light didn't need such a medium the purpose for hypothesizing it no longer existed.

Quote from: Colin2B
... would have to change μ0 in different directions. Never thought of that, in fact never really thought of what physical properties an aether might need to have.
I made a mistake when I spoke of the permeability of space. I meant to speak of the permittivity of free space so I went back and corrected that mistake.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #30 on: 15/05/2015 12:48:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums