The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Should I spank my cat?  (Read 6716 times)

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Should I spank my cat?
« on: 02/04/2015 06:12:15 »
Howdy,

I just got a cat and while she's friendly there does come times when she bites me and that makes me angry. I don't like the idea of spanking a cat in the rump. Especially if it damages her or she doesn't connect the bad action (biting and scratching me) with the action (spanking her rump). Plus I feel really really bad after I do it. Will this train my cat not to bite or am I just torturing the poor little thing?
« Last Edit: 06/04/2015 00:29:39 by chris »

Online chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Spanking a cat
« Reply #1 on: 02/04/2015 17:32:51 »
Many people use a spray bottle/mister to squirt a tiny amount of cold water on a cat when it does something they are trying to train it not to do.

There is no way this can physically harm the cat, but they really don't like it. Cats are smart enough they will learn, eventually self correcting when you reach for the spray bottle, and ultimately finding other ways to annoy you ;-)

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/04/2015 17:35:53 »
Quote from: chiralSPO
Many people use a spray bottle/mister to squirt a tiny amount of cold water on a cat when it does something they are trying to train it not to do.

There is no way this can physically harm the cat, but they really don't like it. Cats are smart enough they will learn, eventually self correcting when you reach for the spray bottle, and ultimately finding other ways to annoy you ;-)
chiralSPO my friend you are a gift from God! Thanks, buddy! I felt so guilt about hitting my sweet little kitty! :) 

Blech! I'm starting to sound like a little girl now. Lol!!

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/04/2015 17:52:32 »
I've been using the spray bottle when my cat claws the couch.

Is your cat a kitten? Puppies and kittens sometimes go through a bitey phase. Even adult cats will do that while playing. When my two cats are wrestling, one will often get the other in a choke hold with this teeth, either in the front or back of the neck. They don't leave puncture marks though. For cats, faux-fighting with their teeth is actually easier for them to moderate than a swipe with extended claws. You can try just holding her firmly for a few seconds (cat language for "I win") and then releasing her. She will eventually learn what pressure of bite you will tolerate, and what is considered no longer playing, just as they do with other cats.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02/04/2015 19:14:28 »
Quote from: Cheryl
Is your cat a kitten?
A two year old cat.

Puppies and kittens sometimes go through a bitey phase. Even adult cats will do that while playing. When my two cats are wrestling, one will often get the other in a choke hold with this teeth, either in the front or back of the neck. They don't leave puncture marks though.
My cat doesn't mean to puncture my skin most of the time. She does it to warn me that when she doesn't want to scratch her tummy. Sometimes she likes it and other times she hates it.

For cats, faux-fighting with their teeth is actually easier for them to moderate than a swipe with extended claws. You can try just holding her firmly for a few seconds (cat language for "I win") and then releasing her. She will eventually learn what pressure of bite you will tolerate, and what is considered no longer playing, just as they do with other cats.
Thanks.

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04/04/2015 19:50:51 »
My cat doesn't mean to puncture my skin most of the time. She does it to warn me that when she doesn't want to scratch her tummy. Sometimes she likes it and other times she hates it.

If it's mainly a tummy-tickling issue, then I think you need to learn also. Exposing their tummy is the ultimate expression of trust and security, and many cats are very sensitive about when they'll let you do it. Some cats are more sensitive than others, and some will never overcome it.

You may also find it triggers the 'disembowelling' reflex, where the front claws will sink into your hand or wrist, and the back claws will rake whatever comes within reach - it can be nasty, but it's reflexive; you'll sometimes see the cat wanting and trying to disengage while those claws grip even tighter and the back legs still hack away... you have to relax your hand and 'play dead', if you try to pull away, the grip will tighten. My cat was sometimes quite embarrassed after he'd shredded my tickling hand of friendship.

There's usually a warning sign that it may be risky; approach with caution. Don't try it if the tip of the tail is twitching - this signals the defences are on high alert, and even if the cat appears welcoming to your advances and even purring, its reflex defences are on a hair-trigger.

Smacking or spanking is probably the worst thing you can do - it breaks any trust the cat has, and they'll become very reluctant to let you near any sensitive spots for fear it happens again - and it makes you feel bad too.
« Last Edit: 04/04/2015 19:53:11 by dlorde »

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05/04/2015 00:47:57 »
dlorde - Sometimes I forget that I post the same thread in my forum as well. In my forum I explained that spanking is out from now on. If any action needs to be taken it will be with water. Things have been better since I've chosen to leave here alone at the first growl. She's now my little princess who rules over the apartment. :)

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05/04/2015 18:21:42 »
The only problem with the spray bottle is it's difficult to have it handy. Cats don't seem to be as good as connecting punishment to what they did, compared to say dogs.  And if there's a delay between the action and spritzing them, they seem to associate it with the person doing it. I noticed my cat would just avoid me all day if there was too big of a gap in time. I had to actually spray him while he was clawing the couch.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Re: Should I spank my cat?
« Reply #8 on: 06/04/2015 21:00:15 »
A stern telling off in conjunction with the spray can also help, but be sure to do it straight after the bite, otherwise the scalding does not connect to the wrong-doing.

You could give a gentle (& I mean gentle) one fingered tap on the nose while saying 'NO'.

Unfortunately, what to us can be a painful claw or bite can be a showing of affection to cat.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07/04/2015 01:19:17 »
Be careful how you address the animal. My daughter's cat sprang onto the breakfast table one morning so I admonished him by saying "Go away, nobody likes you." He never came near me again.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 07/04/2015 01:19:17 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums