The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do I split one object in half, mathematically?  (Read 2583 times)

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
errrmmmm, 2 is equal to 1/2,

If you think 2 = 1/2, you wipe out an awful lot of mathematics, but that is something that automatically comes out of the unnecessary dogma that Einstein shoehorned into SR.

[Edit: this has been split from another thread and it isn't clear that Thebox was making this claim seriously or was trying to make fun of it after misinterpreting the way the idea originally came up (framed by the word "if" and an "and"). That renders this conversation pointless.]
« Last Edit: 03/04/2015 23:45:30 by David Cooper »

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: How do I split one object in half, mathematically?
« Reply #1 on: 31/03/2015 02:59:34 »

If you think 2 = 1/2, you wipe out an awful lot of mathematics, but that is something that automatically comes out of the unnecessary dogma that Einstein shoehorned into SR.

The thing with numbers , is that numbers are not real, and it is down to interpretation.   Example I have 1 object, I chop it into half , I now have 2 objects.

1/2 = 2

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31/03/2015 03:18:24 »

The thing with numbers , is that numbers are not real, and it is down to interpretation.   Example I have 1 object, I chop it into half , I now have 2 objects.

1/2 = 2
If as you say; "that numbers are not real", how was it that you were able to calculate this last calculation of yours? Numbers are real enough for that calculation were they not? And that is the exact reason we use them, to calculate and give substance and meaning to measurements.

Mr. Box,.................if I may be so bold, you say the most ignorant things of any member at this forum.

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31/03/2015 03:23:22 »

1/2 = 2
If as you say; "that numbers are not real", how was it that you were able to calculate this last calculation of yours? Numbers are real enough for that calculation were they not? And that is the exact reason we use them, to calculate and give substance and meaning to measurements.

Mr. Box,.................if I may be so bold, you say the most ignorant things of any member at this forum.

I am not ignorant, I believe your knowledge and not my own imagination.  I have no proof and not enough knowledge for me to say hey science i am correct and the world is wrong.

Yes the calculation worked but that does not make numbers any more real.  Number 1 itself does not exist as an entity, the number 1 replaces something in representation.

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31/03/2015 04:04:57 »

1/2 = 2

It sounds like we can do some business together! I'll give you one $10 bill for two $20s... ;-)

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31/03/2015 05:09:26 »

1/2 = 2

It sounds like we can do some business together! I'll give you one $10 bill for two $20s... ;-)

That would be 1/5 I do not like those odds.  We start with 5 tens , you divide something or subtract something you are just displacing the something, example - slow down a velocity you gain more time of the journey, it is just displaced , nothing is ever lost and each and every action has an equal and opposite reaction.
« Last Edit: 31/03/2015 05:13:17 by Thebox »

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31/03/2015 17:03:49 »
Numbers have to be used with care. It is true that half an orange is equal to two quarter oranges, but when considering numbers on their own you are not allowed to sneak hidden factors in by applying them to objects containing extra numbers which must be multiplied by the more explicit numbers. Half an orange is 1/2 times 1, while two quarter oranges is 2 times 1/4. It is a very ignorant mathematician who concludes from 1/2 x 1 = 2 x 1/4 that 1/2 = 2. Hiding some of the numbers by the method of naming chunks of any size as "objects" does not get around that either, because there is no rule that any one object should be equal to any other object. Indeed, it isn't even the case that one orange = one other orange because oranges come in different sizes and the quality can vary enormously.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01/04/2015 15:14:29 »
Quote from: Thebox

1/2 = 2
Of course numbers are real. Once again your lack of education has resulted in another error. You've made the mistake of thinking that only matter exists. For example: An idea is something that can exist but it's not something you can pull out of your mind and weight, determine its energy etc. The same is true for software. Software exists even though it has no matter. A belief can exist as well for the same reason. Ideas exist and math, being an idea, exists and since numbers are also ideas then they too exist. Read some  philosophy of physics.

And your notion 1/2 = 2 is quite wrong. That too is a result of no understanding of math. 1/2 represents the fraction of the whole in which the object was cut into. If it was cut into three then the number would be 1/3. So the left hand side represents "What is the fraction of the section of the object you cut. The answer is two. The right hand side has to mean the same thing. However it doesn't and that's your mistake, i.e. you don't know how to use an equals sign. The right hand side represents not the fraction of the section but how many sections there were when you finished all of the cutting the object into equal sections.

And you really expect us to think that you understand physics with that kind of thinking?

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01/04/2015 15:48:49 »

1/2 = 2
You evidently don't understand the mathematical proportion. Briefly, the proportion is a simple algebraic function that can establish equalities. Example:

1/2 = 2/4 or 3/6 or 5/10, so and so forth.

The proportion is one of the most basic and useful mathematical tools science has and is very, very real indeed.

1/2 = 2 is a false and impossible conclusion and the absolute dumbest statement I've ever seen posted here at TNS!

How are you to understand physics when you can't even understand elementary level math?
« Last Edit: 01/04/2015 16:12:55 by Ethos_ »

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02/04/2015 03:53:57 »
Quote from: Thebox
1 divided by 2 equals how many different parts?
Knock it off with the childish word games, little boy. You clearly have absolutely no grasp of mathematics. That is quite clear. Myself, on the other hand, am excellent at mathematics. That's coming from a scientist who was a double major in Physics and
Mathematics as an undergraduate. So never get it into your mind that you could ever fool me with childish math word play.

Listen to us - Read a God damn physics textbook for crying out loud!
« Last Edit: 02/04/2015 05:00:12 by PmbPhy »

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02/04/2015 04:17:34 »
Quote from: PmbPhy link=topic=54560.msg453698#msg453698
Knock it off with the childish word games, little boy. You clearly have [i
absolutely[/i] no grasp of mathematics.
I completely agree Pete, and what is it they say about "a box of rocks"?

...............Maybe he should change his name to:.... "Box of Rocks"

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04/04/2015 00:28:47 »

1/2 = 2
You evidently don't understand the mathematical proportion. Briefly, the proportion is a simple algebraic function that can establish equalities. Example:

1/2 = 2/4 or 3/6 or 5/10, so and so forth.

The proportion is one of the most basic and useful mathematical tools science has and is very, very real indeed.

1/2 = 2 is a false and impossible conclusion and the absolute dumbest statement I've ever seen posted here at TNS!

How are you to understand physics when you can't even understand elementary level math?

''1/2 = 2 is a false and impossible conclusion and the absolute dumbest statement I've ever seen posted here at TNS!''

No it is not, if I have 2 apples and I give you half of the apples that I have, we have half = 1, but we still have two apples one each, so half still equals 2

I understand numbers, I understand very well the standard definition.   1/2= 0.5         

Numbers can have lots of meanings, it depends whom is applying the use and for what purpose.

A proper definition of half of an object would be V/2, where V is volume of the object, or M/2 where M is mass.

A glass of water is never half full or half empty , it is always full.

« Last Edit: 04/04/2015 00:36:28 by Thebox »

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25/04/2015 19:01:47 »

1/2 = 2

I am not ignorant, I believe your knowledge and not my own imagination.  I have no proof and not enough knowledge for me to say hey science i am correct and the world is wrong.

Yes the calculation worked but that does not make numbers any more real.  Number 1 itself does not exist as an entity, the number 1 replaces something in representation.

Box, you're perfectly correct. Mathematics is a logic, the logic as such is not connected to material objects, or immaterial for that sake. Starting to wonder about it will take you on a journey, where that will end is up to your persistence, and your teachers.
==

In fact it might be seen as several types of logic, Einstein used algebra to define SpaceTime, today we use geometry instead. Myself I think algebra might have been the smarter choice, but I'm not sure :)
« Last Edit: 25/04/2015 19:05:39 by yor_on »

Offline EEK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28/04/2015 00:08:18 »
If 2 fathers and 2 sons can divide 3 cups of tea among themselves with each receiving one then 2 = ½ because ½ of questionnaire’s (not onslaught) brain is equal to twice the brain of Einstein  8)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 28/04/2015 00:08:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length