The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is there any correlation between PMS and pregnancy  (Read 7180 times)

Offline katiejeanne

• First timers
    • View Profile
I have always wondered if there is any similarity between what you experience during PMS and how you feel when you're pregnant. For example, if you always get really cranky, will you likely feel the same way during pregnancy?  Or, if you always get headaches during PMS, will you tend to get headaches?

another_someone

Re: Is there any correlation between PMS and pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: 11/10/2006 19:48:01 »
I would have guessed the exact opposite.  I always thought that PMS was nature's way of saying I've ovulated, so why aren't I pregnant? - and thus, if you actually are pregnant, the effect would not be there.

In one respect one might suppose there is some similarity in that females will generally (however imperceptibly) be slightly friendlier towards males when they are ovulating, and that would no longer be there once ovulation is over, whether fertilisation has taken place or not.

But then, maybe all of that is simply a stupid male attitude to it all [}:)]

George
« Last Edit: 11/10/2006 19:52:57 by another_someone »

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #2 on: 11/10/2006 23:10:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by katiejeanne

I have always wondered if there is any similarity between what you experience during PMS and how you feel when you're pregnant. For example, if you always get really cranky, will you likely feel the same way during pregnancy?  Or, if you always get headaches during PMS, will you tend to get headaches?

Welcome to the forum Katiejeanne!  I know for sure from women who have experienced pms that there is no similarities...as for me, I never had pms...when I was pregnant each time, I was happy, there was one of my pregnancies I was very emotional(moody)I would cry, laugh, and all the wonderful emotions you could imagine.  I didn't get headaches, but each pregnancy is different!  Each person experiences different symptoms!  :D

"Just Me, Lo" Loretta

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #3 on: 12/10/2006 13:41:02 »
PMS is an ill-defined entity, but is certainly related to hormones - the symptoms vary menstrually, and cease after the menopause (at which point a whole different group of symptoms take over!).

But what characterises these 'causes' are changes in hormone levels, and this seems to be the trigger. Hormone flux seems to provoke mood changes in some (perhaps susceptible) individuals.

During pregnancy, however, hormonal status remains fairly static for an extended length of time with sustained high levels of oestrogens and progresterone. This means that mood changes are actually quite few. Instead it's after the baby is born that women tend to suffer psychological problems - "baby blues" - and this again coincides with hormonal changes as the body resets itself to a non-pregnant state.

So I think it's all down to change. And funnily enough, talking of change, a scientist I interviewed recently who had undergone a female to male sex change told me that after his switch to maleness he lost the ability to cry at will!

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline katiejeanne

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13/10/2006 19:09:49 »
Thanks for all the great answers!  This something I have wondered a lot about lately, since me and my husband are planning to start having kids soon.  Now I have a better idea of what to expect. :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 13/10/2006 19:09:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums