The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Motion sickness theory is a swindle  (Read 15814 times)

Offline sgroclkc

• View Profile
Motion sickness theory is a swindle
« on: 12/10/2006 04:07:09 »
On the one hand motion sickness experts agreed on the way in the  carsickness, seasickness and airsickness gets sick or motion sickness is caused by motion or rotation or visual stimuli newbielink:http://www.postgradmed.com/issues/1999/10_01_99/gahlinger.htm [nonactive], but on the other hand  motion sickness experts agreed on the way in the really cause of the motion sickness is not motion, spinning,the precise etiology of motion remains a mystery. newbielink:http://www.sciencemaster.com/jump/space/motion.php [nonactive] and newbielink:http://nasaexplores.com/show2_articlea.php?id=01-040 [nonactive]   Because this would not explain the person who are susceptible to carsickness do not suffer carsickness ,when the person rides  train,truck, motorcycle and tractor. Because, of the infrasonic sound or the noise of low frequency is extremely small. And spinning around motion sickness differs from carsickness, seasickness and airsickness in a symptoms.For instance, carsickness, seasickness and airsickness all has a symptom of drowsiness,spinning around motion sickness has not a symptom of drowsiness,spinning around  motion sickness has a symptom of spinning around feeling ,carsickness, seasickness and airsickness all has not a symptom of spinning around feeling . This Self-Contradictory Statements is really unprecedented in human scientific history But in reality all these carsickness, seasickness and airsickness gets sick or motion sickness is caused by infrasonic sound or the noise of low frequency.  Of instance, (1) this would explain the person who are susceptible to carsickness do not suffer carsickness ,when the person rides  train,truck, motorcycle and tractor. Because, of the infrasonic sound or the noise of low frequency is extremely small.  (2)  There was a highest incidence of seasickness in the speedboat,the speedboat  noise is biggest of among all sorts of ships. Proved that seasickness is caused by noise (3)  There was a highest incidence of airsickness in the Jet plane,the Jet plane noise is biggest of among all sorts of Planes. Proved that airsickness is caused by noise (4) Space motion sickness is caused by the infrasonic or the noise of low frequency,too.Of instance,the power of the engine of Mercury and Gemini is small that the infrasonic or noise of Mercury and Gemini is small.So,Mercury and Gemini space flight astronauts did not experience space motion sickness.astronauts of Mercury and Gemini floating free in space,too. newbielink:http://www.sciencemaster.com/jump/space/motion.php [nonactive]
 But it was most important to scientists had confirmed motion sickness is caused by infrasonic sound or the noise of low frequency.
For example,Surf pounds the shore, producing shocks of 16 cycles per second, just short of the true infrasound range. Ocean waves, which pound the atmosphere across huge ocean areas, produce an acoustic energy with a mean pitch of 16 cycles per second. The phenomenon of the "barisal guns, fog guns, lake guns" form a well documented bibliography of anomalous acoustic phenomena. These "booming" anomalous tonal phenomena are not isolated to one area or nation. Every nation has accounts of these sea-related mystery sounds. Some regions call them "bay detonations", since they come as abruptly explosive intonations from certain bay areas.
Some of these tones manifest their shocking tones at haphazard intervals. But there are those water-related booms, which are periodic, residents near these sites being accustomed to their mysterious occurrence. The strange "explosive" sounds come at certain times of the day, at certain times of the month, and at certain times of the year. There are certain other related anomalous natural tones, which ring, hoot, and buzz. Some have been likened to organ tones, tuba blasts, and the deep intonings of very large bells. Bay sizes, wave sizes, and geologic compositions of bays and shores have been woven into complex mechanistic attempts at explaining how these mystery sounds are being generated in certain environments.
The detonation may be caused by a sudden "slapping" of bay water by a singular wave having the "right" breadth and momentum, matching the natural resonant pitch of a bay. The underlying bay rock matrix may resound in the manner of a bell, gong, or cymbal. The geological composition of the bay plays the greater part of the effect, sudden winds or water surges knocking the natural "sounding board". These natural bay tones have great infrasonic content.
The infrasonic outputs of the mystery tones are significant. Each of these phenomena produces a range of very low pitch tones. These booming sounds have rattled windows and rocked some small towns. Animals are startled by their inaudible precursors, and humans are often dizzied after their manifestation for hours. In several areas, people are hospitalized by the "boom" related illnesses.
Waterfalls are notorious generators of infrasound. Numerous susceptible visitors at Niagara experience a peculiar nausea, which is not associated with the normal fear of heights. Thundering cataracts produce strong infrasonic shocks to which mile exposure stimulates the common malady. Lake ice and glacial ice produce deep booming sounds which ring for hours, behaving as large tympanic surfaces. The thunderous sounds associated with these occurrences produces infrasound of pitch related to ice surface mass, breadth, and length alone. Antarctic research experienced nausea in relation to ice related sounds.
Tidal waves and other sudden variations of water surfaces produce large magnitude "seiche" waves. These have been sighted by ocean going ships, where oceanic surfaces have drastically changed elevation in an incredibly short time. Ships "drop" into such huge ocean troughs and rise again after the wave passes. In dropping, some have crashed to the very rock bottom of their bays, only to be lifted in pieces when the wave resurged. Film footage of the great and horrid Alaskan Earthquake (1964) reveals this devastating sea "drop-out".
Upon such lethal seiche tides, even in the fortunate absence of earthquakes, comes nausea and other coastal related illnesses. Large intensity infrasonic sea shocks have their powerful effect on the overlying atmosphere of their regions. These infrasonic shock waves travel for long distances. Certain bays are known for the high incidence of such illnesses, the result of resonant bay water "heavings" which occur daily. Their sickening effects are seemingly "stored up" in physiology, lasting for hours. While these phenomena proceed from deep in the heart of earth, and on its surface, there are phenomena, which generate infrasonic sources ... from space.
newbielink:http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/history/gavreau.htm [nonactive]
Low intensity infrasound from autocar engines has been well recognised to induce car sickness (30)(98) - a mild serotonergic-vestibular disturbance involving nausea, giddiness, headache. newbielink:http://www.markpurdey.com/science_the_origins_of_bse_7.htm [nonactive]

Moreover this theory about motion sickness is caused by all kinds of acceleration of different directions and size or Coriolis acceleration (,reference: newbielink:http://www.remarkablemedicine.com/Clinical/clinicaluses/otherdisorders/motion.html),Overthrow [nonactive] Newton’s second law of motion.Because,Newton’s second law of motion says anly by calculate a man or an object is influenced by size of the resultant force can know a man or an object is influenced by the size of the in reality acceleration.of instance, the astronaut is affected by the Gravitation acceleration as well as the centrifugal force acceleration in space,But the in reality is affected by acceleration equal for zero.
So,this idea not only was a fraud but it was maximum jest in human scientific history.
 Motion sickness experts knew this, they kept quiet up to now
  And they knew rendered violently nauseous noise of an airplane,they calling this motion sickness a “conditioned reflex,"Their statement rather absurd.
« Last Edit: 13/02/2007 02:03:30 by sgroclkc »

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Re: Motion sickness theory is a swindle
« Reply #1 on: 12/10/2006 09:19:45 »
As the human senses of hearing and motion detection both use the inner ear and similar sensors and low frequency motions will produce low frequency sounds it is not supprising that low frequency sound and motion sickness are linked.

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!

Offline sgroclkc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/11/2006 00:50:57 »
Moreover this theory about motion sickness caused by all kinds of acceleration of different directions and size or Coriolis acceleration (,reference: newbielink:http://www.remarkablemedicine.com/Clinical/clinicaluses/otherdisorders/motion.html),Overthrow [nonactive] Newton’s second law of motion.Because,Newton’s second law of motion says anly by calculate a man or an object is influenced by size of the resultant force can know a man or an object is influenced by the size of the in reality acceleration.of instance, the astronaut is affected by the Gravitation acceleration as well as the centrifugal force acceleration in space,But the in reality affected by acceleration equal for zero.
So,this idea not only was a fraud but it was maximum jest in human scientific history.
« Last Edit: 01/12/2006 01:02:27 by sgroclkc »

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #3 on: 03/11/2006 11:01:13 »
English may not be your first language but I'm afraid that your last post is not understandable and appears to be unecessarily dogmatic.

Offline sgroclkc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/11/2006 00:59:22 »
yes,
I am a Chinese,Ixcuse me Do you understand what I write?
« Last Edit: 14/02/2007 01:35:13 by sgroclkc »

Offline sgroclkc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14/12/2006 01:58:02 »
They knew rendered violently nauseous noise of an airplane,they calling this a "conditioned reflex,"Their statement rather absurd.

Offline Ophiolite

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18/12/2006 16:36:12 »
I do not normally reject hypotheses on the basis of personal experience, but in this case I shall make an exception.

As a child and teenager I routinely travelled by ferry from my island home to the mainland. When the weather was calm, sitting in the ferry, subject to the noise of its engines, I would reach the other side feeling perfectly well.
When the weather was rough, sitting in the same location, subject to the same noise, I would reach the other side feeling decidely sea sick.

As a child and an adult, sitting in a car, carefully looking ahead and anticipating the movements of the car, I could travel hundreds of miles with no ill effects. In the same car, attempting to read a book, or a map, I would be car sick within two minutes.

Travel sickness is related to a mismatch between what our balance organs tell us is happening and what our eyes tell us is happening. Before we developed forms of transport such a mismatch indicated that we were hallucinating. The probable cause was poisoned foodstuff. The solution was to get rid of the poison by vomiting. That is the simple explanation for motion sickness and it is not a swindle.

Offline sgroclkc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24/12/2006 01:33:36 »
A rocking boat or a bumpy airplane do lead to the motion sickness is coincidence,the greater a rocking boat or a bumpy airplane ,the greater the infrasonic of boat or airplane
A symptom of rotation motion sickness is different distinct from carsickness, seasickness and airsickness,so it is certain rotation motion sicknesshave nothing to do with carsickness, seasickness and airsickness
A symptom of rotation motion sickness is different distinct from carsickness, seasickness and airsickness,so it is certain rotation motion sickness have nothing to do with carsickness, seasickness and airsickness
For instance, carsickness, seasickness and airsickness all has a symptom of drowsiness,rotation motion sickness has not a symptom of drowsiness,rotation motion sickness has a symptom of rotation feeling ,carsickness, seasickness and airsickness all has not a symptom of rotation feeling .

« Last Edit: 11/01/2007 01:42:33 by sgroclkc »

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24/12/2006 02:37:26 »
SAY WHAT????

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25/12/2006 01:21:55 »
sgroclkc, I'm afraid I'm having trouble with your english but I understand you to be suggesting that motion sickness is caused not by motion but by infrasonic "noise" from the engine. If this is indeed your suggestion, how do you account for the fact that sea sickness dates back to long before the invention of engines?

Offline GBSB

• View Profile
    • Biomechanics and Health
« Reply #10 on: 26/12/2006 00:21:15 »
Space sickness is caused by weightlessness (absence of gravity).

Carsickness, seasickness and airsickness are caused by altered gravity.

Travelling on the ship on the rough sea we are constantly exposed to the some extent of lift off (in time when wave lifting ship) and to the some extent of free fall (for the time when wave causing that ship going down)

In moment of lift off, the human body is exposed to gravity force bigger than 1G and in moment of free fall is exposed to strength of gravity forces less than 1G.

Frequency of the change of the strength of the gravity determines extent of sickness (simplify theory).

Travelling on the ship on the rough sea is like travelling on moving platform (ship constantly going up and down and swaying from one side to another).

Travelling on the ship on quiet sea is like standing, seating or walking on the solid ground.

Body is exposed by altered gravity on similar way by travelling with the car and by airplane.

Train sickness it is unknown, because train travel on more straight direction and seldom steering up the hill and down a hill.
Only in the time of speeding, usually when train leaving station and in the time of slowing usually when train arriving in station passengers are exposed to small extent of altered gravity.

It shows that motion does not cause sea, car or airplane sickness but frequency of the alteration of the gravity force on the human’s body.

"Motion sickness" is not appropriate name to describe health condition caused by altered gravity. Appropriate name will be “altered gravity sickness”.
Understandings importance of the pull of gravity for humans and any living organism will enable to understand prevent and cure many nowadays illnesses and diseases.

Offline sgroclkc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26/12/2006 01:51:36 »
Infrasonic is caused by closed automobile compartment or cabin in vibration.For instance,the truck, motorcycle and tractor has not closed compartment,infrasonic is very little that it can not carsickness.
« Last Edit: 03/01/2007 02:02:14 by sgroclkc »

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02/01/2007 14:21:10 »
GBSB:
Train sickness it is unknown, because train travel on more straight direction and seldom steering up the hill and down a hill.
Not true... my mother gets sick on trains if she's facing away from the direction of travel. If she's facing forward and can see out of the window it's fine.

Offline sgroclkc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04/01/2007 02:32:56 »
 Space motion sickness is caused by the infrasonic or the noise of low frequency,too.Of instance,the power of the engine of Mercury and Gemini is small that the infrasonic or noise of Mercury and Gemini is small.So,Mercury and Gemini space flight astronauts did not experience space motion sickness.
« Last Edit: 04/01/2007 02:37:56 by sgroclkc »

Offline GBSB

• View Profile
    • Biomechanics and Health
« Reply #14 on: 10/01/2007 23:55:53 »
Rosy
GBSB:
Not true... my mother gets sick on trains if she's facing away from the direction of travel. If she's facing forward and can see out of the window it's fine.

You are right Rosy. I shouldn’t write that train sickness is unknown but less common.

I think that train sickness is less common than space, see, and airplane and car sickness.

Train sickness in most case is not caused by altered gravity but by (uncommon or unusual) visual stimulation.
I think that air and see sickness is caused by altered gravity and car sickness is caused by altered gravity and uncommon visual stimulation combine (watching through side window).
What is interesting to me is that see, airplane, car and train sickness affects mainly (if not only) passengers. It shows that mentally factor is important as well.
I think that explanation is, that passengers are passively affected by altered gravity or uncommon visual or sound stimulation and operators of the transport devices are in more active state of mind in time when they are affected by altered gravity, uncommon visual or sounds stimulation.

Luka Tunjic
http://www.freewebs.com/lukatunjic/

Offline sgroclkc

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12/01/2007 01:44:03 »
Infrasonic of train is small,motion sickness was a low incidence,but I have not heard that people on train get motion sickness

Offline sgroclkc

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15/02/2007 00:54:38 »
These motion sickness experts made up a formidable vested interest group.

Offline sgroclkc

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07/03/2007 02:09:43 »
I have received a e-mail  so far,"eNotes Support" <help-support@enotes.com>
Hello!

Thank you for your message to eNotes Support.

We have received your message and will respond as soon as possible. 
Your request is absolutely important to us, and we will make every effort
to resolve the issue in a timely fashion. Thank you for your patience.

eNotes Support

another_someone

« Reply #18 on: 07/03/2007 02:40:50 »
I think there are many different aspects of transport sickness, and different people are subject to different aspects of them.

To date, I have never been sea sick in my life (I did feel queasy on one journey, but that was more from the smell of vomit of the other passengers rather than my own motion sickness).  In general, the rougher the sea, the more I enjoy it (together with just a hint of shadenfreuden  - not very nice of me, I know).

I used to be car sick when I was less experienced in cars (my first time on a boat was when I was about 4 months old, and that was for 32 days, so it may have inoculated me against sea sickness).

One related aspect of this is that many years ago I started taking flying lessons, and on one occasion my flying instructor took me just along the upper boundary of the clouds, while we were skimming in and out of the clouds (flying on instruments), and I think he thought that might disorientate me.  I was not at all disorientated, and I suspect I just have a knack of disassociating my visual senses from my other senses (it probably also relates to the fact that I cannot have a strong emotional response to visual stimuli).  This may well be something that protects me against motion sickness.

On the other hand, I do get drowsy (but not sick) from infrasound.

As for train sickness, it is unusual, but the train under the channel tunnel does seem to effect some people (my mother is one of them - she is effected more by that than by sea sickness).
« Last Edit: 07/03/2007 02:45:10 by another_someone »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07/03/2007 19:24:51 »
Do deaf people get seasick?
If so then I think we can kiss goodbye to any idea that it's produced by infrasound (at least unless you can find another organ to sense the infrasound).
This page
http://www.royaldeaf.org.uk/page.php?id=100303
sugests that deaf peopel do suffer from seasickness.

I don't get seasick (or airsick or whatever) but I do get uncomfortable when there are high levels of low frequency sound- the ventilation system where I work sometimes has this effect.

another_someone

« Reply #20 on: 07/03/2007 22:42:09 »
Do deaf people get seasick?
If so then I think we can kiss goodbye to any idea that it's produced by infrasound (at least unless you can find another organ to sense the infrasound).
This page
http://www.royaldeaf.org.uk/page.php?id=100303
sugests that deaf peopel do suffer from seasickness.

I don't get seasick (or airsick or whatever) but I do get uncomfortable when there are high levels of low frequency sound- the ventilation system where I work sometimes has this effect.

I think infrasound can be detected away from the ear (in any case, it will depend on the nature of deafness, since I doubt it would effectively be channelled by the outer ear).

Don't forget that Beethoven could detect infrasound despite the deafness of his later years, and if you stand in a church with an organ playing its deepest notes, you will feel those notes right through your body, not merely through your ears (these notes do not normally record well on recordings of organ music, and that is the difference between listening to organ music live, and listening to a recording of it).

This is not to suggest that infrasound causes sea sickness (I never suggested that, only that it can induce drowsiness, and this has sometimes been claimed to be a factor in drivers falling asleep on long journeys).
« Last Edit: 07/03/2007 22:43:59 by another_someone »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #20 on: 07/03/2007 22:42:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums