The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: viruses and microbes  (Read 7290 times)

Offline sarahcarr

• First timers
    • View Profile
viruses and microbes
« on: 13/10/2006 19:47:28 »
what is the difference between viruses and microbes[?] or do losts of microbes make up a virus [?]

smile!

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
Re: viruses and microbes
« Reply #1 on: 13/10/2006 20:38:51 »
A microbe is quite simply a micro-organism, ie too small to be seen by the naked eye. A virus is a microbe.

Gaia  xxx

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #2 on: 13/10/2006 23:58:19 »
"Microbe" is a generic term used to describe microscopic organisms, including viruses, protozoa (amoebae) and bacteria. It's a bit like using the word "germ" to describe infectious diseases.

Viruses, on the other hand, are distinct entities. They are small obligate intracellular parasites which lack the ability to reproduce without the help of a plant, animal or bacterial cell. In essence, viruses are just infectious packets of genes which hijack cells and turn them into virus factories.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
    • http://cantmakeadifference.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: 13/11/2006 04:19:31 »
Yes in the media and general use words are always interchanged. Sterilant for example doesn't mean disinfectant. The latter kills a percentage of the microbial population and sterilant removes all viable mibrobial material. Important when dealing with surgical equipment for example.

I also hate when the media just totally gets it wrong. I am reminded of an article about BSE/vCJD when they had a picture of a "BSE Bacterium". Shockingly inaccurate when infact it is prions(proteinaceous infectious particles) that cause BSE. A similar size equivalent of mistaking an ant with a elephant (it maybe an even larger mistake than that).
« Last Edit: 13/11/2006 04:23:17 by Mjhavok »

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
    • http://cantmakeadifference.blogspot.com
viruses and microbes
« Reply #4 on: 20/03/2007 02:47:04 »
"Microbe" is a generic term used to describe microscopic organisms, including viruses, protozoa (amoebae) and bacteria. It's a bit like using the word "germ" to describe infectious diseases.

Viruses, on the other hand, are distinct entities. They are small obligate intracellular parasites which lack the ability to reproduce without the help of a plant, animal or bacterial cell. In essence, viruses are just infectious packets of genes which hijack cells and turn them into virus factories.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Daniel Dennett calls a virus "Nucleic acid with attitude" lol.

The Naked Scientists Forum

viruses and microbes
« Reply #4 on: 20/03/2007 02:47:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums