The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Human species 'may split in two'  (Read 4970 times)

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
Human species 'may split in two'
« on: 18/10/2006 17:47:48 »
Human species 'may split in two'

Humanity may split into two sub-species in 100,000 years' time as predicted by HG Wells, an expert has said.
Evolutionary theorist Oliver Curry of the London School of Economics expects a genetic upper class and a dim-witted underclass to emerge.

What do you think of this, will it happen?

Link http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6057734.stm

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

another_someone

Re: Human species 'may split in two'
« Reply #1 on: 18/10/2006 18:32:54 »
This might happen if only intelligent men would stop breeding with dim-witted women, and intelligent women stop breeding with dim-witted men.

George

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18/10/2006 18:37:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by another_someone

This might happen if only intelligent men would stop breeding with dim-witted women, and intelligent women stop breeding with dim-witted men.

Oh dear that’s me out then
:D

« Last Edit: 18/10/2006 19:24:07 by Hadrian »

Offline wim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/10/2006 19:42:42 »
I think that in a 100000 years we will live like in a good SF-movie. Our genes will be determined(and adjusted if necessary) before we are born so we will suit very well in our perfected civilization.

Why would you give somebody a ugly face when it's just as easy to give it a nice face?

I mean in a 100000 years our technology will be at least that far, don't you think?

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 18/10/2006 19:57:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by wim
Why would you give somebody a ugly face when it's just as easy to give it a nice face?

RPFL – just look at the fashions kids are wearing these days – their idea of ugly and nice are very different to ours – why would it be any different for faces.

The question is not whether you give someone a nice or an ugly face, but whether the face you give your kid will be what they actually want to liver with when they grow up, or will they curse you for imposing such a face upon them, and go running to the nearest cosmetic surgeon to have it changed?

George

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19/10/2006 00:05:39 »
Okay, I'll throw the cat amongst the pidgeons here. Could we split into sub-species because of the integration of retroviral material into our genome? We already have sequences that may have been incorporated from ancient retroviral material and other sequences that we do not as yet know the purpose (or obsolete purpose) of.

Also, we have mitochondria in our cells and these are inhereted independently of sexual reproduction (via the mother) and are thought to originally have been 'primitive' foreign cells 'incorporated' into the 'modern' cellular structure. It is a symbiotic relationship in that the mitochondrial bodies survive within our cells and enable cellular respiration to take place.

Gaia  xxx

Offline gecko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19/10/2006 07:11:20 »
what is this based on?

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19/10/2006 11:37:44 »
Darnell J, Lodish H and Baltimore D (1986) Molecular Cell Biology Scientific American Books Inc: New York

Page 926
Remarkably, the genetic code used in human mitochondria has some differences from those of all prokaryotic and eukaryotic nuclear genes (and also from fungal mtDNA)...   ...This similarity but nonuniversality of the genetic code has profound implications for the evolution of eukaryotic cells and their organelles.

Page 1145/6
Recall that sequence analysis of chloroplast and mitochondrial rRNAs have shown that they closely resemble the rRNAs of eubacterial species. Recall also that according to the endosymbiotic hypothesis, chloroplasts and mitochondria reside within eukaryotic cells as a result of an ancient fusion between bacterial cells and the forerunner of the nucleated eukaryotic cell. It thus seems entirely reasonable to conclude that some primary RNA transcripts in the early eubacterial cells were subject to type II splicing, and that the descendants of these bacteria are today’s chloroplasts and mitochondria. The other alternative – that all type II introns are derived from transpoable elements that entered previously uninterrupted genes after the fusion of prokaryotes with eukaryotes – seems less likely because these introns do not possess the the terminal repeats that are characteristic of transposons; nor is there any evidence of the usual target-site duplication. Furthermore, this latter hypothesis would require the entry of a transposon with the same internal structure into a diverse group of rRNAs and mRNAs.

Gaia  xxx
« Last Edit: 19/10/2006 12:06:55 by Gaia »

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19/10/2006 12:04:46 »
Please note that I'm throwing additional points into what I think is an interesting topic - evolution. I'm not necessarily saying that we will 'split into two subspecies'.

Gaia  xxx
« Last Edit: 19/10/2006 12:08:08 by Gaia »

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19/10/2006 12:27:24 »

Oh dear that’s me out then
:D

Hadrian, you're great!

Offline wim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19/10/2006 16:37:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by another_someone

quote:
Originally posted by wim

RPFL – just look at the fashions kids are wearing these days – their idea of ugly and nice are very different to ours – why would it be any different for faces.

The question is not whether you give someone a nice or an ugly face, but whether the face you give your kid will be what they actually want to liver with when they grow up, or will they curse you for imposing such a face upon them, and go running to the nearest cosmetic surgeon to have it changed?

George

Allright maybe the ugly/nice face was a step to far.
I was thinking more of being able to take out skin-diseases or large noses(altough they could indeed become popular) and all kind of diseases and supposed "bad" genes, before a child is born.
Of course you can discuss about the morality of all this. Then again it wouldn't be the first time that the technique itself will make something morally acceptable, that is when the technique is available it will be used, like with the atombomb for example.

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19/10/2006 17:17:05 »
grazie Alberto

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
« Reply #12 on: 24/10/2006 21:20:38 »
i think that since that is way farther ahead in time than we have recorded history to look back upon and we are treading in uncharted waters from a civilization standpoint, there is no way to have any sort of educated prediction.  although it is still an interesting thing to think about.

Are YOUR mice nude? ;)

another_someone

« Reply #13 on: 24/10/2006 21:51:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by MayoFlyFarmer
i think that since that is way farther ahead in time than we have recorded history to look back upon and we are treading in uncharted waters from a civilization standpoint, there is no way to have any sort of educated prediction.

How is this different from any other point in history -the only thing we can chart with relative certainty (and even that is not wholly absolute) is ever the past.

George

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 24/10/2006 21:51:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums