The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: computer belongs to which subject math or science?  (Read 5017 times)

Offline gudipudi

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.educationtrak.com
hi guys,

greeitngs !!!!

well, can any one clear my long term doubt if Computers belong to science or math ..

with regards,
gudipudi

(Your question is valid, but we can't advertise)
« Last Edit: 19/10/2006 08:33:05 by Karen W. »

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
Re: computer belongs to which subject math or science?
« Reply #1 on: 19/10/2006 11:40:20 »
Both

Gaia  xxx

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/10/2006 13:30:42 »
I would have thought that maths is a science anyway.

Brand new forum at
http://beaverland.forumup.us
More than just science

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: 19/10/2006 15:50:33 »
Personally I would have said closer to engineering as it is certainly the application of both maths and a bit of science.

Maths isn't a science, it doesn't tell you anything about the real world, just things about whichever imaginary one you are thinking about at the moment. If you attempt to show that the imaginary world you are thinking about. is related to the real world that is science. If you are very lucky new things you find out about the imaginary world will also be true in the real world, but you can only find out if this is the case by doing experiments.

Offline cranial_implant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19/10/2006 16:39:09 »
I would agree that computers straddle both maths and/or science.

But they are just tools using maths to calculate and even speculate an answer. Certainly computrs are used because of science and I suspect the real answer to where they really belong is not a ' cast in stone ' definition.

My head is not what it used to be.

Offline cranial_implant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19/10/2006 16:42:29 »
I remember the first computer I ever palyed with extensiveley was a Commodore Pet 32 it had an amazing 8K of RAM. Does anyone remember these ? I remember being blown away at what it could do.

My head is not what it used to be.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19/10/2006 17:09:40 »
I never had a computer until 97,.. had never really looked at one.. so bu the time I used one I was totally dumfounded and completely amazed at the potential they have.. I am still in awe! I never the one you refer to, my first was a 286 black and white momitor with a quicken type program then I upgraded and bought a new computer, an HP.. I loved it.. Now I have a brand new one that my friend built with all the newest  things.. graphic tons of nice things, a far cry from my 286, or whatever that one was...LOL

Karen

another_someone

« Reply #7 on: 19/10/2006 19:30:55 »
Computers are merely hardware if you are talking about computing, then it is something else.

The design of the computer itself is, as Dave said, an exercise of building computers is an exercise in engineering.  Programming computers is more akin to maths, not insofar as that you normally need much mathematical ability to program  (unless you are programming a problem that is inherently mathematical in nature), but rather that mathematics is a formal language, just as any programming language is a highly formal language.

I first came into contact with computers in the late 1960s, when my mother started working with computers (mainframes that occupied a large room but had less computing power than the average car engine or high end sewing machine has today).

George

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20/10/2006 02:35:25 »
Wow George Thats cool.. I will have to get your advice sometime, when I am stuck in my computer! LOL... sorry bad Joke..

Karen
« Last Edit: 20/10/2006 02:39:58 by Karen W. »

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20/10/2006 08:06:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by daveshorts

Maths isn't a science, it doesn't tell you anything about the real world, just things about whichever imaginary one you are thinking about at the moment. If you attempt to show that the imaginary world you are thinking about. is related to the real world that is science. If you are very lucky new things you find out about the imaginary world will also be true in the real world, but you can only find out if this is the case by doing experiments.
At least here in italy, the degree course of Mathematics at university is included in the Faculty of "Mathematical, Physical and Naturalistic Sciences"..
quote:
it doesn't tell you anything about the real world
There are many mathematical applications to the real world, for example probability and statistics, computing, information science, ecc.
« Last Edit: 20/10/2006 08:23:42 by lightarrow »

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20/10/2006 08:14:18 »
As George said, computers and computing are different things.
If then you talk about Information Science (as its name says) it's a real science and not simply an application.

another_someone

« Reply #11 on: 20/10/2006 12:24:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by lightarrow

quote:

At least here in italy, the degree course of Mathematics at university is included in the Faculty of "Mathematical, Physical and Naturalistic Sciences"..
quote:
it doesn't tell you anything about the real world
There are many mathematical applications to the real world, for example probability and statistics, computing, information science, ecc.

Is not part of the issue about real and imagined science the distinction between theoretical and experimental science both are sciences, but each feeds off the other.

What Dave is correct about is that maths can investigate worlds that have no experimental counterpart (the work done by Einstein on General Relativity started out as an abstract exercise in worlds that no-one thought had any physical counterpart, and there are still an infinite number of possible tensors and manifolds that do not map to anything in experimental science).

As I said above, maths is a formal language, and it is the language that much of theoretical science is written in; but just as the English language can be used to write a news report, or to write a work of fiction (and I'm not going down the road of arguing over how much news reporting is fiction anyway :)), so too the language of mathematics can be used to describe real physical science, or some abstract fictional idea.

George
« Last Edit: 20/10/2006 13:02:01 by another_someone »

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20/10/2006 16:16:57 »
ya computers is defintely both

NEVER! underestimate youth

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23/10/2006 13:51:42 »
quote:

Personally I would have said closer to engineering as it is certainly the application of both maths and a bit of science.

But if the ultimate aim of science is to prove that certain things are so, then you can't get much more scientific than pure maths. The way maths is used (in, for instance, theoretical physics) is not maths per se, merely the application of it. Actual mathematics is the most exact science there is.

Brand new forum at
http://beaverland.forumup.us
More than just science

another_someone

« Reply #14 on: 23/10/2006 14:07:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorBeaver
But if the ultimate aim of science is to prove that certain things are so, then you can't get much more scientific than pure maths. The way maths is used (in, for instance, theoretical physics) is not maths per se, merely the application of it. Actual mathematics is the most exact science there is.

Maths is the most exact of languages, but not of science.  Maths merely proves the existences of relationships, not the existence of physical reality.

In maths, you can prove fiction as if you were trying to prove in some hypothetical world that unicorns can and must exist one can prove that such is true in a hypothetical world, but it does not tell you that they exist in a real world that we actually perceive to exist.

George

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14 on: 23/10/2006 14:07:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length