The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Alzheimer's disease and sage  (Read 19692 times)

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
Re: Alzheimer's disease and sage
« Reply #25 on: 15/01/2004 08:08:31 »
But there are other long-lived animals though, many of which have been around for millions of years.  I've never heard of whale or turtle cancer.  Of course, whales and turtles don't smoke or inhale asbestos.

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline luckywood

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14/02/2004 14:51:30 »
There are many alzheimers that have been cured through 'THE TOLE'S WAY OF MEDICATIONS'
 Please look into google and search

Thanks

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15/02/2004 04:29:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by cannabinoid

But there are other long-lived animals though, many of which have been around for millions of years.  I've never heard of whale or turtle cancer.  Of course, whales and turtles don't smoke or inhale asbestos.

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Animals do get cancer but I was curious and did some searching.  Whales of several species are developing cancers.  I'm not sure if the rate is increasing or the increased study is finding more cancers.  Animals of any species have evolved to maintain their lifespan.  Humans are the only animals that have artificially (non-evolutionary) increased their lifespan.  So, it's my hypothesis that the cancer rate (and other diseases) is increasing because our lives are longer than our bodies are designed to support.  Just a side effect of the increased lifespan.

----
John

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21/02/2004 02:45:59 »
That makes perfect sense, John.  Your body deals with cancerous cells every day. DNA is constantly destroyed or mutated by various environmental factors (sun UV, background radiation, free radicals from foods and oxygen, pollutants) but you have mechanisms for dealing with the mutated cells.  There's always the small chance your body won't catch the mutation for one reason or another.  The longer you live, the more contaminants you expose yourself to, the greater the risk.  

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21/02/2004 16:01:22 »
And the longer you live, the weaker your immune system gets, and I don't base that on any studies I've read but just on personal experience.  Seems the elderly don't have the resistance that younger people have and they also take longer to recover, and don't respond as well to antibiotics.
« Last Edit: 21/02/2004 16:03:06 by bezoar »

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 22/02/2004 02:02:47 »
Getting old is hell.

----
John

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 22/02/2004 04:40:32 »
That's why I changed careers.  I sure wasn't going to find the secret to immortality by keeping stupid teenagers out of corporate networks.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 22/02/2004 18:37:50 »
Getting old is hell, but as they say, consider the alternative.  Actually, I'm lucky.  I feel good, just look older.  Honestly, I'm happy to still be here, so it's not hell for me.  Cannabinoid, what career did you change to?

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23/02/2004 04:07:45 »
I don't really feel old either, but I don't feel as young as when I was younger.

----
John

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24/02/2004 01:51:28 »
To the extent that I feel a lot smarter, I don't feel as young.  But I am enjoying my life a hell of a lot more now than I did when I was younger -- and I laugh a lot more now too, even at myself.

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24/02/2004 19:22:40 »
Physically, I feel a lot younger now than I did two years ago.  Mentally, I'm realizing what "over the hill" really means.  I know (hope) that I have many good years left before things really start falling apart, but I know it's coming.  I'm just trying to slow it down a little.

----
John

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 25/02/2004 02:05:03 »
That's the advantage of having been sick and in pain so much of my younger life.  In the words of James Brown "Oh, I feel good, just like I knew that I could!"

Yesterday I saw a doctor who hasn't seen me since I was at my worst.  It took a moment for her to recognize me, and I got a real kick out of her shocked expression.

Offline sphygmo

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 23/08/2004 05:15:47 »
But what about Iris Murdoch? Does this mean she didn't use her brain in an analytical manner? :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #37 on: 23/08/2004 05:15:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums