The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why am I allergic to chicken and turkey?  (Read 77460 times)

ShokLaRok

• View Profile
Why am I allergic to chicken and turkey?
« on: 27/10/2006 08:20:12 »
??? I am bewildered as to why I am allergic to chicken and turkey.  I once ate it normally.  Ever since puberty I have had this problem.  I know within seconds if it is poultry and will fight horrible pain, vomiting, and anaphylactic (sic) shock for several hours.  I ate it once after it was boiled then BBQ'd.  Help me understand my "Chicken Affliction."

Sincerely,
Mike Picano

Gaia

• View Profile
Re: Why am I allergic to chicken and turkey?
« Reply #1 on: 27/10/2006 12:07:47 »
Firstly are you sure it is an allergy and not a food sensitivity/or intollerance, especially as you only developed it late? Do you really go into anaphylactic shock? Do your throat and face swell and block your airways? Do you need an adrenaline injection in order not to die? Has this been medially diagnosed? If not, you need to go and see your doctor.

It is not unknown to be allergic to meat. My sister-in-law is allergic to red (ie mammal) meat but is okay with poultry and fish.

ROBERT

« Reply #2 on: 27/10/2006 15:42:40 »
??? I am bewildered as to why I am allergic to chicken and turkey.  I once ate it normally.  Ever since puberty I have had this problem.

There is a gland which produces immune cells called the Thymus.
In most people the Thymus atrophies after puberty, in in a minority of people this does not occur:
the Thymus persists, which can produce immune disorders (e.g. severe allergic responses).

" Thymus continues to grow until the time of puberty and then begins to atrophy. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thymus
« Last Edit: 27/10/2006 15:56:11 by ROBERT »

ShokLaRok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27/10/2006 17:54:09 »
Thank you for the insight.  To answer one question: Within minutes of me eating chicken and turkey, my mouth begins to stream saliva (so steadily that I can lean over and it will hit the floor), my throat then begins to rapidly close up.  The small airway that I do have is then clogged by the saliva stream and the rest is history.  I go into a panic attack thinking that I will suffocate.  I have blacked out before, but I usually wrap myself around the toilet bowl and get sick for hours. I will take a Benedryl (seems to help a little) and I have found that chasing cigarettes one after the other opens up some airways for me (why? I have no idea).  It feels, for hours, as though someone is taking a giant corkscrew and twisting it into my chest. No fun for me.

I do consider it a burden for people to have to be reminded that I am allergic when they make dinner.  But, I'm used to it now , but would love to be able to eat poultry at some point in my life.

Should I just give up hope. Anyone want a "thymus"?  It's free!

Thanks,
Mike

neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Too Much Free Time Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27/10/2006 18:07:47 »
Shoklarok,

I am so sorry to hear of this.

As a poultry lover I can imagine it being so frustrating.

What about things like chicken soup ?  gravy ?...chicken falvourings (based on the real thing)...do you still have the same reaction ?

...and NO...do not give up...as there may be a solution out there for you.

ROBERT

« Reply #5 on: 28/10/2006 09:19:58 »
If you are having an anaphylactic reaction to foodstuff then you should ask your doctor about an adrenaline pen:-
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~aair/anaphylaxis.htm#SEC4 

As Neilep pointed out you could ingest this allergen accidentally, (e.g. some sausages labelled as pork or beef have some chicken in them). So you should have an adrenaline pen at hand, as it could prevent asphyxia.

PS
a Thymectomy would probably not affect your allergic response: the T-cells produced by the Thymus will now be circulating throughout your body, i.e. removing the Thymus would be shutting the stable door after the T-cells have bolted.

PPS
I found this PubMed article which may be of interest:-
" Food allergy with monovalent sensitivity to poultry meat.
Cahen YD, Fritsch R, Wuthrich B.
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland.

BACKGROUND: Allergy to poultry meat is only rarely covered in science. The few reports are usually related to patients allergic to eggs or bird feathers. OBJECTIVE: Two patients with a clear history of monovalent, ingestive allergy to chicken and turkey meat, without other food allergies, were analysed..."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9756209&dopt=Abstract
« Last Edit: 28/10/2006 09:40:05 by ROBERT »

ROBERT

« Reply #6 on: 30/10/2006 14:43:32 »
" Here is a recipe for a school sausage, given to us by a manufacturer who prefers to remain anonymous. It is for what he described as a "pork product" made "down to a price" to win a local authority contract. The sausage contents: 50% "meat", of which 30% is pork fat with a bit of jowl, and 20% mechanically recovered chicken meat, 17% water, 30% rusk and soya, soya concentrate, hydrolysed protein, modified flour, dried onion, sugar, dextrose, phosphates, preservative E221 sodium sulphite, flavour enhancer, spices, garlic flavouring, antioxidant E300 (ascorbic acid), colouring E128 (red 2G). Casings: made from collagen from cow hide. "
http://www.guardian.co.uk/food/focus/story/0,13296,951917,00.html#article_continue
xx(

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=4273.0

Jason2573

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02/10/2009 19:07:52 »
I know this topic is a bit out-dated, but hopefully it can be re-opened with some new insight? I have very similar reaction to poultry/poultry flavorings as ShokLaRok. Yet I am able to eat eggs. The salivating, the throat feeling like its swelling, feeling the stabbing/burning sensation down the esophagus and the sudden urge to want to throw up to end it all. I am 23 years old and i developed this at 21 years of age. I ate chicken QUITE regularly and never had any issues. Suddenly for my 21st birthday I am not allowed to enjoy my Chicken Marsala? Not particularly fair, but i needed to learn to cope. I have spent all this time wondering if it was going to go away, but to no avail. Has there yet been any recent developments in this particular area anyone knows of? I havent tried anything to treat it, and dont feel i need an epi-pen for the severity of the reaction, but before finally becoming frustrated enough to go talk to a doctor about it, i figured i would check the Web.

glovesforfoxes

• Matthew 6:21
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03/10/2009 07:29:58 »
Quote from: Jason
Not particularly fair, but i needed to learn to cope.

the chickens would disagree. ;)

Stephanie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15/03/2010 03:40:53 »
I havent tried anything to treat it, and dont feel i need an epi-pen for the severity of the reaction, but before finally becoming frustrated enough to go talk to a doctor about it, i figured i would check the Web.

I ate chicken for years, then started having trouble swallowing and breathing when I was about 12. Please get an epi-pen. Every reaction is different. I didn't think mine was serious enough until the day it almost killed me.

sinker0000

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16/11/2010 19:24:09 »
Try drug free chickens.  The US started using antibiotics heavily in 1980.  I have the same problems with my throat, saliva, pains in throat/chest when swallowing after eating even chicken broth.  A drug free chicken or egg yolk does not give me a problem.  But be ware - you're putting a lot of faith in those guys to stand behind their 'drug free' claim!

aweirdfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24/02/2011 05:06:42 »
I'm also allergic to chicken and turkey, but I'm not allergic to eggs. I used to eat chicken everyday, until I turned 16. I started having these allergy symptoms then my throat locks and I feel suffocated whenever I eat chicken, resulting to me being rushed to the hospital for an anti-allergy shot. My mom said it was always there, I had that very same reaction when I was four. It just became worse when I hit puberty. It's been several years since I last ate chicken, and I can say that I really missed eating poultry. I'm currently taking a premed course, and went on to investigate on some things concerning this matter. I learned that it's because of your hormones being in overdrive as a teenager and also in your maturing years. In most cases, especially to those with seafood allergies, the allergic reaction slowly subsides when you reach the age of 40 or when your hormones go really low because of old age. Give or take, we'd have to wait 20 or so years in order to eat poultry again. Sad, but yeah :(

DrOckW

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28/03/2011 21:06:33 »
I too have the same symptoms when I eat chicken, or other poultry.

I could eat chicken when I was young, but began having problems with swallowing and choking.  I knew I couldn't eat chicken but was continually fed chicken by family members who did not believe me.  Listen to your kids about some things!

I was diagnosed as a teenager as having a severe allergy to all poultry and issued an epi-pen immediately.  I have not had to use it but have come close.  Benedryl can handle some interactions but will not relieve all of the symptoms.

Most recently I went to a national drive-in eatery (rhymes with colonic) to try thier new "Premium Beef" hot dogs.  I have had thier dogs before and can have a truely all beef, pork, or combo dog (not that weiner mobile company).  After inhaling the dog I realized my throat was going shut and took benedryl.  I was sick for 2 days and couldn't believe the marketing of Premium Beef hot dogs... the response is, Premium Beef is not All Beef.

I have been living with this for over 25 years.  My advice to you all:

Get an epi-pen, get tested to show everyone who wont believe you.

Read the labels, even my wife (who loves chicken) is disgusted by the number of products that contain chicken or chicken products that don't even make sense.  If you read the labels you will begin to understand just how often that upset stomach, headache, or other ailment comes from your allergy.

Get good with Pork!  I can make a pork roast that tastes like a rotisserie chicken, and that's as close as I can get, but it's good enough.  There's no Missing something that makes you this sick and miserable.

Open the windows.  If someone is cooking poultry in your house keep it ventillated, I thought I was having an asthma attack sometimes on thanks-giving, it was the turkey in the air... don't ask me how or why.  Same goes for chicken.

Broth is still chicken, say goodbye to hot and sour soup... heck almost any non vegitarian soup is out, they contain chicken broth, I'm suprized Coke doesn't contain some.

Overall life goes on, we can deal.. I am glad to know I am not the only one and I think we should get this out there, if the gov't thinks 1 or 2 people suffer from this, they are mistaken there's 4? (if I remember) right here.

Doc.

pujims

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03/10/2011 15:33:02 »
I know this is an older post, but I just got here. First of all, not all food allergic reactions are the swelling, not breathing type. I am allergic to poultry. It causes cramping, sometimes vomiting, always diarrhea, and I can be sick for days depending on what I ate. Many well meaning folks will say are you sure you're just not poultry intolerant? I know I am allergic because it shows up on skin tests for me. I am also allergic to feathers so the allergist was willing to go the extra mile for my tests. For those of you who are also allergic I was wondering a few things. My cousin also has the same rare allergy we were both born in May of 1970 in the midwest. When were ya'all born? Anywhere near the midwest? Looking for clues......

Thanks,
 Pujims

Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03/10/2011 20:28:12 »
You are cooking it properly? Your symptoms sound a lot like salmonella poisoning.

"Salmonellosis is an infection with bacteria called Salmonella. Most persons infected with Salmonella develop diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps 12 to 72 hours after infection. The illness usually lasts 4 to 7 days, and most persons recover without treatment"

http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/

Reilly

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11/10/2011 10:51:23 »
Nice sharing.
I think you should try to eat drug free chickens...
because the US started using antibiotics heavily in 1982..

aweirdfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30/10/2011 10:47:49 »
pujims, I don't think there's any relation between this allergy and where you came from or when you were born. I'm from Southeast Asia by the way, and born in the 1990's. I think Geezer was right in saying that you might have Salmonella.
I don't go through "diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps 12 to 72 hours after infection". I just experience anaphylactic shock (after a few hours in my case, different in others), and suddenly become itchy all over, then parts of my body (arms, legs, especially the face) and throat swell, then the throat locks blocking the air pathways. I think the symptoms of this allergy are generally like that, either milder or worse :)

goldengirl

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08/12/2011 20:25:41 »
I too am allergic to turkey. I can eat chicken products without any problems. My mother found it hard to believe that there was such an allergy until she too developed a turkey allergy several years before she passed away. She also had no problems with eating chicken products. I developed the allergy in my middle 20's. I am now 50 and have learned to be very cautious when eating food prepared by anyone other than family. I eventually had to carry an epi-pen until it was discovered what my allergy was. I had several trips to the emergency room with severe hives (some were larger than my hand) & a quickly closing throat. I had to receive epinephrine shots each time..sometimes more than one shot. It was a very hard adjustment to not eating turkey, especially in a time when turkey seems to be added to everything. Doctors believe in our case it may be some genetic issue because not only did my mother also develop an allergy, but 4 of my grandchildren show a sensitivity to it. We have been told because of the family history of turkey allergy and their strong sensitivity to it, to treat them as if they were also allergic. So needless to say we don't eat turkey during the holidays

corey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25/01/2012 16:31:20 »
Hi there,

I have just came across this forum. I am from Northern Ireland and my fiance is allergic to chicken, turkey and fish. If he eats even chicken stock (which is in surprisingly in an awful lot of food) he comes out in a rash, his hand swells up, his throat starts to close over etc etc. I have never heard of this allergy before I met him. Even if Im cooking chicken and eating it at the table his eyes would start to water. Its incredibly frustrating. It used to be only chicken which started in his teens. Then it was turkey which was about 5 years ago, then tuna which was about 4 years ago. He is 31 years old. Unfortunately it doesnt look like an awful lot of research has been done on it, we just have to grin and bear it I suppose.

Debpressed

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05/02/2012 15:25:21 »
I've been allergic to eggs my entire life, but only after a recent gastric bypass have I ever been uncomfortable eating chicken. After 5 weeks of heartburn type symptoms whenever I ingested it, I finally had the worst and final reaction. I ate about 1.5 ounces of roasted chicken and the heartburn turned into horrible pain. I started to salivate uncontrollably, then the vomiting started. This forum has been very helpful. I'd been warned many years ago that I might develop an allergy to chicken. Kudos to that dr. for being right.

shntat

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28/05/2012 07:13:39 »
i went to hospital today with a rash on chest,stomach,elbows,and thighs.i got ate some turkey and rash intensified and stated burning.what is treatment

NomNomNom

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27/06/2012 02:22:18 »
Hi! I see this thread isn't exactly new or active, but I wanted to add my chicken allergy experience in case anyone else (like me) is scouring the internet for other people who have this.

A lot of sites have vague "allergy" symptoms listed for chicken like rashes, sneezing, watery eyes, etc. This is the only place I've found that has perfectly described my symptoms:

- Tightening of the chest/heartburn (the person who described it as a "corkscrew" sensation was spot on)
- Uncontrollable/steady stream of saliva
- Closing of the throat (personally I've never had breathing difficulties, which sounds contradictory, but for me it's just a really unpleasant tightening sensation)
- Occasional urge to throw up, less as an "omg-get-to-the-bathroom-now" thing and more as an attempt to get rid of what feels like a huge spiky ball in my chest/throat.

It takes a good hour or two for these symptoms to fully disappear. I used to eat chicken all the time when I was little, and then started having this reaction right around puberty. I react the same way to chicken, turkey, and duck, so it's safe to say this is a general poultry allergy. I'm not allergic to eggs.

I was especially interested to read goldengirl's description of how it runs in his/her family, because I've always had a theory that it's a genetic thing - my brother developed the exact same allergy, also around puberty.

Anyway, that's one more person verifying that yes, chicken allergy is a real thing. Maybe if we get enough anecdotes on here we can inspire some actual research!  :D

Mamahula

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02/09/2012 18:48:43 »
Wow!  So glad I found this thread. I honestly thought I was alone.  I started having stomach problems in my later teen years.  I went to the doctor who had me do a food diary to detmine the cause.  It was turkey!

I have avoided turkey ever since and had only 1 - 2 instances per year.  Mine is always stomach cramps, sweating and intense diarrhea lasting several hours.  It is very different from any other common stomach issue, I can always tell when it is a turkey problem. It is very much like Salmonella poisoning, it just doesn't last as long.  I have ended up in the emergency room twice, the worst being when I was pregnant. 

I am in my 40's now and have noticed a similar reaction to eggs, I've begun to avoid those as well.  I've only had one reaction to chicken, that was a few years ago.  To the poster asking ages / locations: I too was born on 1970 but in California.

I've learned a lot about food ingredients.  I read labels. When I do get sick I always try to run down the events / food until I find the turkey so I can avoid it next time.  I am the annoying one at the potluck asking if there is any turkey in anything.  Eggs somehow are easier to spot. I am also the reason we have ham at the holidays.

I've always thought it might be the hormones they give the turkeys.  I live in Oregon now and there is a ton of organic / hormone free turkey here.  I've never been brave enough to try it to find out. (I think this could possibly be my egg issue too.)

To those of you just finding this thread, you are not alone, you are not weird, just allergic. 

carebear

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02/09/2012 23:10:28 »
i too have the same symptoms as you. I was in my mid twenties and had turkey for dinner and within 2 hours I was experiencing extreme bloating and bowel issues. I lost so much fluid from both ends I ended up hospitalized twice from turkey. I was advised to stay away from it. I also recently have had the same experience with onions. My stomach bloats so much that my pants have snapped open and it HURTS. Im a small frame 130 pounds and when i eat these food items I loose too much fluid, and so quickly I pass out and have to be given IV Fluids. I have had many years of radioactive iodine treatments for cancer so doctors are skeptic and maybe that has screwed with my intestines.
However, when I stay away from these foods I am OK.

Anita428

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26/12/2012 01:33:26 »
I think I am allergic to chicken, turkey, and sometimes pork.  The symptoms are always the same, although they vary in intensity:  both my hands and forearms feel like I've got a bad sunburn.  They're not red, however, and no amount of washing my hands gets rid of the burning.  Two of my three sons, my mother, and my sister also have this reaction to chicken.  It doesn't happen *all* the time, but I would say 99%.  Has anyone had this kind of reaction? It doesn't last long, but it is very annoying and I'm only hoping it doesn't turn into something more serious.

SMF 2.0 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines