The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why am I allergic to chicken and turkey?  (Read 152160 times)

Offline diethyl

• View Profile
Re: Why am I allergic to chicken and turkey?
« Reply #50 on: 06/02/2015 03:11:17 »
I can't believe I saw this forum after search'New post'. Building Lord, are you still allergic to chicken?

Offline JShipley

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 06/03/2015 12:10:54 »
I doubt anybody is going to read all the way to page three, but if you do, I am allergic to chicken meat, eggs, and live chickens (among other things - soy, goat's milk, latex, nickel, celery...).  I also have food in tolerances, and chemical sensitivities which are both different from food allergies.  There seems to be a bit of confusion here about true chicken allergy, so I will do my best to clear things up...if you are reading this.  :)

Most food allergies are categorized as Type I hypersensitivities, usually to the protein molecule in the food, which upon exposure causes an immune response in which immune cells attack the body, releasing histamines and other substances that cause painful inflammation.  In the case of chicken and eggs, the inflammatory reaction is to the protein, and the immune cells attack the protein and cells that it came in contact with.  Proteins are proteins, made of chains of amino acids.  They are not tissues or cells storing foreign chemicals.  Chicken proteins do not differ from chicken to chicken based on what the chicken ate or was exposed to.  It makes no difference if it is organic when you are allergic to the protein. 

Now, there may be other substances present in the meat that can cause reactions in some folks, but this is not an allergy to chicken.  It is a sensitivity to another substance present.  There are also food intolerances, which can cause major digestive issues, but do not cause a histamine/immune reaction, so benedryl won't help.  They are not allergies.  Also, intolerances can be to anything present, not just the chicken protein.  And to further complicate things, some chemical sensitivities can cause immune responses.  In this case, the reaction is to the substance, not the actual animal, so organic/range fed would help.  BUT, for a TRUE CHICKEN ALLERGY (confirmed by an allergy test) RANGE FED ORGANIC CHICKEN WILL NOT BE SAFE, SO DO NOT TRY IT!!!!  All chicken has chicken protein and that is what you are allergic to.

And I hate to be the bearer of further bad news, but true food allergies in adults rarely go away completely on their own.  Intolerances change, food allergies are usually forever.  An allergy may be mild enough for you to be able to possibly tolerate small occasional tastes after you have gone for a period of time without exposure to amounts that are high enough to cause a reaction (keeping exposure levels below reaction threshold is key here.)  There are also treatments (both medical and alternative) that may lower sensitivities with some type I allergies, but once you've passed the age of 4, chances are pretty high that any food allergies you develop are Type I and will probably be with you for the rest of your life, and your sensitivity may even get worse with each reaction. 

However, do not give up hope.  Scientists are working on treatments.  Allergy shots have helped many folks with seasonal allergies, (also type I), and they are studying whether this can be done with foods as well.  There have been some promising cases of food allergies virtually "disappearing" after years of exposure to very small amounts of an allergen (not enough to cause reaction.)  However, the sensitivity can pop back up with a vengeance at any point, so it doesn't mean you are cured forever.  Scientists are working on developing other treatments too, and we are getting pretty smart, so we may still get to eat fried chicken again before we die...and not as an eccentric method of suicide. ;)

It is important to know without any doubt that what you have is a true allergy to a substance (and not an allergy to something in it, or an intolerance, OR a chemical sensitivity), because that will help you know what to do about it.  Doctors usually first perform a scratch (skin pr1ck) test for Type I food allergies.  A small amount of the protein/substance is "injected" (poked) into the skin, then the skin is observed for a reaction that looks like a mosquito bite.  Just because you don't test positive on a scratch test, doesn't mean you aren't allergic to something.  It could also mean your allergy is too mild to show up on that test, or it could mean that your allergy is another type (II, III or IV). 

If you are having an inflammatory response to something you ate (not just digestive issues) and do not test positive on the scratch test, the doctor can test your blood for the presence of antibodies (RAST) that your body releases when you are exposed to an allergen.  If you are negative in both tests, then chances are it is a food intolerance, chemical sensitivity or an allergy or intolerance to something that the food came in contact with (or in rare cases a type II, III or IV allergy.)  If you are having inflammatory reactions, get thorough allergy testing, even to the items you don't think you are allergic to.  Just check all of the boxes, because many times we have no clue what is making us sick.  This was true for me.  I never would have guessed soy.

My reaction to chicken?  When someone cooks it and I breathe it or the smell comes in contact with my body I have asthma and coughing, my nose itches and runs, my skin burns, itches, and prickles, my eyes burn, water and turn red and the next morning my eyelids are fat and my face has red spots.  Since I found out about all of my food allergies at the same time, I do not know what part chicken played in the slew of other symptoms which included dramatic weight loss, intractable migraines, development of rheumatoid arthritis, nerve damage/neuropathy, vasculitis, dyskinesia/movement disorder, massive weight loss, inflammatory bowel disease,.... BUT I've accidentally eaten trace amounts of chicken twice that I've known of since then and I got cramps immediately.  Later I had diarrhea, severe cramps, itching/prickling/creepy crawlies and few hives on my back, stomach, throat and face.  I don't go into anaphylaxis with this one. 

I think that soy and systemic nickel allergy played a much greater role in the development of my health problems.  They two substances are almost impossible to avoid.  I'll skip the nickel topic and just address soy, which goes by many names and is even in vitamins, teas, cardboard, skin care products, candles, fragrances, spices, natural flavors, artificial flavors, extracts, emulsifiers, tocopherol, mono and diglycerides, any ingredient with the word "vegetable" in it, and...it's a very, very long list that I constantly have to be updating.  This basically takes almost everything processed completely off the table, and most friends and loved ones can't learn all of the soy containing ingredients because they have lives, so it is unsafe to eat at anyone else's house, let alone a restaurant...or I end up feeling like a total pain in the caboose AND STILL MANAGE TO GET POISONED.  Even walking into a shop that has soy candles will cause me to react, sooo.... I do not know how to deal with the complications of nickel and soy allergy on my social life, but...

Chicken allergy?  Not so bad because it's not very hard to avoid it if you read labels...though there is no replacement for a fried chicken wing.  But you can fairly easily avoid a lot of suffering by just reading the labels.  Chicken containing ingredients (as far as I know) all contain the word "chicken."
« Last Edit: 06/03/2015 12:22:49 by JShipley »

Offline Tesura

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 13/06/2015 23:07:45 »
As with many others, I am amazed to find this...I had to sign up for this site.

I have been allergic to peas since I was a baby. I had no issues with anything else for a long time, and for a short time was able to eat peas with no issues. Then, when I was about 11 years old, I ate chicken and had a lot of the same issues you all did - throat swelled up, bad acid reflux...I didn't, at the time, have any issues with fish...until I was about 15. I ate some Tuna helper, and immediantly had the same reaction, but about twice as worse...and I clamped myself over the toilet for atleast an hour, throwing up everything in my stomach and having a constant flood of slimy saliva draining out of my mouth and dry heaving when there was nothing left...ever since then I've been pretty violently allergic to any poultry or fish I have tried.

As with everyone else, I was always told that it was all "in my head" by my father, and sent many times to bed early for refusing to eat my dinner. Starving was a much better alternative to suffocating. I have since lived with my mother, who has had people on her side of the family allergic to various foodstuffs, as she herself suffurs from fibromyalgia...something else many people say is made up. I also had only know one other person allergic to chicken, although I think that was the only thing she was allergic to.

Something that really inspired me to look up things about my allergies was that I recently tried a new drink, recommended by a friend of mine. The drink I tried was a Cherry Bing drink, which I had a horrible allergic reaction...the same as my poultry and seafood/shellfish allergy. When I got home from work, and after relaxing a little, I looked up the nutrition facts of chicken breasts, cod and various other fish, and the bing drink...it may be coincidence, but they all had the exact same vitamin content. Some, such as the ryboflavin, I know wasn't the culprit as I consume other things with them in, however...everything else seems suspicious. I'm also planning to go to the doctor soon and talk about getting an epi-pen...I currently work in the produce department of a grocery store, and going into anaphylactic shock and / or vomitting all over the produce would not be good for business...heh.

I think part of the problem is that so many people have been doubted, told that it's all in their heads...and so they aren't going to constantly talk about it with people, for fear or expectation of, being told that again and again. Because of that, it seems like there's not many people allergic to these things...even though there are many many silent sufferers, and thus, no obvious need to do any research on it. That's just my theory though.

Thank you all for sharing your stories, and reading mine...it's wonderful to know you all are out there! And, to have my own confirmation I'm not insane....atleast, not completely!

Offline Tomr

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 26/09/2015 21:54:21 »
I signed up after googling chicken allergy

I have exactly the same symptons to chicken turkey and duck although duck does not have such a severe effect.

It's like an acid reflux and terrible pain in contractions.

I also have a similar reaction melon bakes beans and other beans /lentils

I would love to underage not more

My friends can't believe it.

Offline Pecos_Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 26/09/2015 23:23:18 »
Except for a West African Ju Ju man, I can't think of a worse place to come for medical advice. This forum is crawling with charlatans and mooncalves.

Here is the web page of the British Society of Immunologists where you can click on "Find a Clinical Immunologist" and get professional medical advice from a British Immunologist. [1.]

Which reminds me of my Russian Immunologist story.

It seems I had occasion to take the train to Yektarienburg and a Russian immunologist shared my sleeper compartment from Novosibirsk. It being Spring and the Tiaga being flooded with Birch pollen I was trying to cough up a lung. The Immunologist offered to treat me, and I told him that I had my doubts about desensitization treatments since my colleague at Santa Cruz public health nurses had almost died from an anaphylactic paroxysm in the immunologists office following a treatment.

The Russian Immunologist spoke very candidly of his low opinion of western immunologists in general. So you may take that for what it is worth. You must pay your money and take your chance, but I recommend personally insisting on seeing the epinephrine is on hand before each treatment.

No poultry could be tough. Can you eat Salmon?  How about Gumbo z'herbes or a mushroom omelet?

[1.] https://www.immunology.org/page.aspx?pid=1708
« Last Edit: 27/09/2015 08:10:49 by Pecos_Bill »

Offline Woodsman777

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 19/12/2015 20:27:37 »
I too have an allergy to chicken meat only, not eggs. I always thought I was unique. I won't reiterate what many have stated about symptoms.

I do have a strange question though and would appreciate some input:

Is this exclusive to birds or does this include all white meat? What about rabbit? I am a little afraid to try.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts!

Thank you all for sharing.

Offline blythe

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 02/03/2016 04:50:21 »
I stumbled on this site a few days ago, so frustrated from ALL my food allergies (eggs, squash, cherries, mushrooms, spinach, avocados, bananas, cashews, pistachios, melons, paprika - AND I'm a Celiac). I grew up eating red meat, so in my 20s I switched to chicken, even when it wasn't on the menus at restaurants.

The poultry allergy started about 17years ago (I'm 61 now). I've been allergic to eggs my entire live ... except that I could always eat baked goods, or anything with thoroughly cooked eggs as a small ingredient.  My allergy skin tests on egg white & yolks indicated a severe allergy - the bumps lasted 4 days.  So I assumed this allergy might be a natural extension of the egg allergy.

My reaction is to stop eating if there is even chicken broth (undisclosed) within a couple of bites, my mouth/throat start to feel strange, but not in pain.  Then within minutes of leaving the table after the meal, projectile vomiting ensues.  I have had the tight throat, upper chest pain, weird foamy & runny phlegm/spittle from many of my other food allergies. I too have stood next to a ditch behind a BP to rid myself of the offending food.

I also understand what it's like to have your family tell you "how sorry they are for you" that you can't eat anything, or watch them roll their eyes as you give the grand inquisition to the server.  I sometimes feel that I'm about to have a panic attack going into a new restaurant, unsure of what I can find to eat. 

I can only say, thank you for speaking out. I don't feel so alone, and ridiculous anymore.

Offline spg2houston

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 27/04/2016 00:50:38 »
I hadn't searched chicken allergy for years... My son had a severe allergic reaction during dinner in 2000.  He was only 3 years old.  He complained of a sore tummy, developed hives around his mouth, drooled uncontrollably and fell asleep quickly on the couch.  I called the pediatrician who told me to give him an antihistamine right away as it was definitely an allergic reaction to our meal.  Long story short, it was the chicken. And this was an organic chicken I bought directly from the farmer.  His doctor couldn't believe it was the chicken.  He actually said, that it was anything BUT the chicken.  I tried to give him chicken noodle soup a few weeks later just to test, and the same thing happened.  I searched online as search engines were starting to be commonplace.   All I found when typing "chicken allergy" were articles about how chicken was a good substitute for common allergen proteins (such as eggs, milk, etc).  I thought my son was the only one!  We had him tested at the allergist who found different results for blood versus skin tests.  His skin reacted to many things: pork, soy, salmon, chicken, turkey, etc.  Our allergists have basically all agree that allergy testing isn't an exact science.  The only true way to know if someone is allergic is by consuming all foods under direct medical supervision in hospital.  We never went that far.  He is 18 years old now and has a list of foods to stay away from :  TURKEY, DUCK, CHICKEN, SALMON (especially smoked!), and almost all other varieties of FISH - and we are too scared to try shellfish.

EGGS don't cause him any problems at all.  We have been too anxious to try rabbit or gator as they seem so similar to fowl meat. TUNA is a head-scratcher.  He has eaten tuna steaks in the past with no problem, canned tuna as well.  But recently he had a pretty bad reaction to a piece of tuna steak I served him - coming from the same store as one that previously caused him no harm.  He has, on occasion, had bad reactions to lamb meat and beef a couple of times.  I have a hunch that it must be animal feed-related when it comes to these red meats.  Just this weekend he had a terrible reaction to cheese enchiladas in a Mexican restaurant - which is most likely from chicken contamination in the ingredients. 

His reactions these days start with a bad feeling in his abdomen, esophagus and mouth.  We run for the Benadryl when this happens.   He always carries with him a supply of Benadryl.  It's a tough thing to live with, but he doesn't let it stop him.  He traveled to rural Asia this past summer with a summer camp and managed fine - just avoids all poultry and fish, keeping medicine handy.  He will be happy to see this blog and learn that he is not alone!  Looking forward to a better treatment for this problem one day and praying that his allergy doesn't become life-threatening.

Offline Juels

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 27/05/2016 18:26:24 »
It was heartening to find this post. I've only ever met one other person that had the same allergy and two people that knew someone with a similar allergy.

I'm 43 and have suffered with poultry allergies my entire life. Luckily, I'm fine with eggs. As a toddler, I would complain that chicken made my throat hurt. My parents thought I just didn't like chicken and ignored it. This went on for years before they realized I had an actual allergy. Over the years my symptoms have grown stronger. Within minutes of eating poultry, I have an anaphylaxis response and I'm no longer able to swallow. My upper back gets a strong cramping sensation.  Not to mention the thick, gooey, saliva-like spit.  I carry Benadryl and an epipen everywhere I go and have had to use them way too often.

I keep hoping for the day when restaurants will have all their ingredients readily available and learn to prevent cross contamination. How many of you or your loved ones had a reaction because their fries were cooked in the same oil as the chicken nuggets? Or the steak was grilled too close to the chicken? It is so frustrating.  I've learned never to eat soup in public, always send the wait staff back to check on the ingredients, and keep a sense of humor when someone offers me chicken.

Offline zealott

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 24/08/2016 20:08:18 »
Hi,
Interesting thread.
For me, the chicken/turkey/fish allergies came suddenly when I was in my early 20s with the same symptoms as described by many of you.
One thing that helps me is eating sugar (somehow it shuts down the reaction) so I always drink a coca-cola before I eat and if I have any reactions during dinner, I order a sugary dessert (ice-cream does the trick) to help with the reaction.
Sugar is probably not good for you, but in my case, it helps with the allergic reactions...

Offline TiffanySmith

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 04/10/2016 22:47:10 »
Wow! I had no idea so many suffered from poultry allergies and I regret knowing I can now relate! My allergies have never been enough to send me to ER thank the Lord; but I have never been able to put my finger on what I am allergic too (A lot of things in a mild way I guess) but now I'm reacting to poultry!

Now growing up; chicken was my favourite food; I gobbled it up like candy and no reaction. I was however allergic to eggs since I was a baby (my parents caught on quickly.) My symptoms were excessive saliva till an eventual vomit; (Course it wasn't as annoying as my allergy to raw vegetables; who's going to believe a kid who's allergic to raw vegetables? Nobody!)

Now 21 I am actually daring when it comes to eating eggs that have been cooked in foods. Sometimes I react; sometimes I don't (One time I gobbled up over 15 mini egg quiches; had an omelette, threw up); but lately I have been reacting more severely to poultry after a life time of eating it no prob!

Since I was 17 I noticed that chicken soup was starting to make me feel sick; my symptoms are similar to what the people on here say; tight chest, excessive saliva, loss of breath, even vomiting; the biggest symptom however for me is the tightness I feel in my lungs and my throat aching. Whenever I ate poultry (Turkey included) I would start choking bad! I would downplay saying 'oh the meats just to slippery and it got caught in my throat. (Yeah I was my own enabler) but just this year my mom brought home a chicken for dinner and again I reacted; we thought the chicken had an egg wash even thought the deli said no. My mother turned it into a soup and I decided to try again; (Big mistake) After throwing up my family and I know both knew I wasn't just choking on slippery meat.

And even right now I am trying to get over a chicken reaction which prompted me here.
I' glad I came upon this thread becasue I'm now convinced that I'm not allergic to poultry or eggs; but what the big business manufacturers stuff into them. For four years I thought I developed an allergy to milk but when I moved out of the area, the allergy was gone; turns out it had to do with how they treated the milk.

So if an allergy comes and goes; my best bet is that it has to do with the area you live in and what they do to the food. Still haven't been able to get an allergy test but at this point; I'm not even sure if they know what to look for...

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #60 on: 04/10/2016 22:47:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length