The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Installing a new car radio and Cd player in my Van! Help!  (Read 22374 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
  Does any one know the answer to this? It seems the Instruction folks forgot to tell us in the paper work; Do we need to disconnect the battery before installing the new radio in the dash? Will it blow something up or damage my player if the battery is hooked up during installation?
« Last Edit: 29/10/2006 21:31:27 by Karen W. »

another_someone

Re: Installing a new car radio and Cd player in my Van! Help!
« Reply #1 on: 30/10/2006 01:04:04 »
If you are careful not to short anything, I would not imagine it would have any problems (at 12V, which is all the battery will provide, you will not have enough voltage to do any damage).  If you do short the battery, you could end up with a flat battery (and maybe overheated), and that will potentially cause damage to the battery - but that is only if you insist on connecting a paperclip between the positive and negative wires in the power lead.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #2 on: 30/10/2006 01:46:00 »
Hi KAREN

Ive installed many many systems over the years and have never disconnected the battery and to do so could give you problems with your cars general running as it would almost certainly cause the electronic management system to lose some or all of the values\data which it has stored which basically tells the engine how to run under different loads etc. The management system will relearn them but it leaves you with the headache of being the teacher. And you know how hard the job of being teacher can be.
As long as your still using the standard audio system connectors which come with the car and radio connections are the same and connect straight  to them without having to cut any  wire's their shouldn't be any problems. If the standard connecters  dont fit into each other then your local car audio shop should be able to supply you with  an adapter lead.
 However make sure the cars ignition is turned off during the installation and as an extra precaution if you wish you can always remove the fuses from the car radio leads and pull the radio fuse from the cars fuse box. Once the wires are connected then just replace the fuses before turning on and testing.

Read your car manual as it will give you instructions for your particular car and if your still unsure then get someone with experience to do the job for you.
« Last Edit: 30/10/2006 01:59:29 by ukmicky »

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30/10/2006 02:44:39 »
kAREN

On most cars its really very simple and quite easy, with only two things to connect.

Theres One push fit ariel wire and one push fit connecter block which contains all the speaker and power wires , so there no worry about connecting the wrong wire to the wrong wire.

READ THE MANUAL FOR THE RADIO AND IF POSSIBLE THE ONE FOR THE CAR
And you may have to change the metal cage which holds the radio to the dash which is held in by metal lugs which you simply bend to release and then then bend the same things on the new cage to jam it in and to obtain a tight fit.

you'll be fine. :)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30/10/2006 04:07:40 »
Thanks Michael, I bought this thing weeks ago and I can work on the vcr or tv dryer or washer, but I have never put in a radio in a car!! I bought a kit that is supposed to adapt the radio to my dash as it has a rather large hole. It is like a little frame with openings for dials, but the new radio has no dials, so I am asumming by the way it looks that those pieces can actually be broke away from the frame to accomodate the flat face! I have looked it over quite well and think It will work.. I will check the wires tomorrow when  we do the radio! I am going to cut and paste these posts to word so I can refer to them out there in the car..while trying to install it. I thought I would get it done but I ran out of time.. I am removing a very good radio and cassette player and replacing it with an

AM/FM stereo cd/mp3 Player
SD Card Slot,
USB Port & Audio Input
MP3 & WMA compatible
wth ID3 Tag Display

3 in one plug and play!
With detachable front plate
and remote control
180 watts

Well what do think will it be adequet enough to belt me out some of my favorite tunes? I bought it and know nothing about it.. about 100 bucks!  I did not want to spend an arm an a leg... on a radio in my car! but I do want it to play good..

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30/10/2006 04:09:03 »
 Thank you too George I will try to be careful!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30/10/2006 04:19:49 »
Mam....the easiest way to install a car radio is to get someone else to do it !!

It's nice of George & Michael to volunteer to check it out for you...!!..

I'll supply the burgers...I'm good at that....ask Michael's neighbour !!  :D

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30/10/2006 04:34:01 »
HEE HEE HEE!! I like to do stuff like this, but this is new to me.. so we will see.. what do you think stereo man, you think it will suffice! Should I buy new speakers you think.. its a 92 astro van! original speakersin back door and front window dash!
« Last Edit: 30/10/2006 04:35:47 by Karen W. »

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30/10/2006 04:40:20 »
Sounds like you've got an universal cage/frame, unfortuanatly they dont always fit.

The old dial radio cant be bought anymore  over here,over here they are all flat faced also

Car radios in the uk come with a cage thats made for the radio that its supplied with so you dont have to remove bits .

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30/10/2006 04:52:26 »
That worries me as this kit has several different ones in the kit and the guy at the automotive storesaid it was for my year astro van!

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30/10/2006 05:56:32 »
Karen - I'm most impressed.  I'm doing darn good to be able to set the radio stations. :-\

Carolyn

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30/10/2006 09:50:51 »
I like to take things apart, and usually figure out whats wrong if they are broken.. finding the offensive part is usually not that hard, it's replacing is also easy, my trouble come remembering what part goes where and after many years of struggling, I mark all the wires with masking tape and color coordinate with a marker on th two corresponding connections. Sometimes I have been fortunant and certain wires only reach certain places or fit a certain connection..  I have repaired my VCR numerous times for about 13 years and finally bought a modern one a couple months ago... Haven't dabbled with CD players other then trying to get Cd's unstuck from a jammed one... This is a first for me and I just don't want to go buy a new one because I screwed it up!! The biggest job is looking like getting the radio out, but Michael gave a pretty good explanation of that! so I will try!   I want to here my Cd's in the car.. I am a little bummed I didn't buy tape and CD player, I did not know I could buy both... I have tons of cassettes that I love a lot.. next thing you know I will want a record player or my buddies 8 track player.. LOL I am a little behind times here in the sticks..
« Last Edit: 30/10/2006 09:53:12 by Karen W. »

another_someone

« Reply #12 on: 30/10/2006 13:35:24 »
Still have a stack of Vinyl LPs, and a record deck, but don't get around to using it - likewise my tape deck, and even a very old real to real tape deck - never got into 8 track.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30/10/2006 15:34:20 »
Still have a stack of Vinyl LPs, and a record deck, but don't get around to using it - likewise my tape deck, and even a very old real to real tape deck - never got into 8 track.

You must have an exceedingly good suspended transport mechanism for your turntable so that the LP doesn't scratch whilst you're driving George !  ;D ;D

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30/10/2006 15:45:48 »
Me too, I have tons of records...

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14 on: 30/10/2006 15:45:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums