The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Worlds largest snake  (Read 117475 times)

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Worlds largest snake
« on: 03/01/2004 03:34:38 »
quote:
Indonesian villagers claim to have captured a python that is almost 49.21 feet (15 meters) long and weighs nearly 992.07 pounds (450 kilograms), a local official said Monday.

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/INDONESIA_GIANT_SNAKE?SITE=FLPET&SECTION=HOME

That is some snake!

----
John

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
Re: Worlds largest snake
« Reply #1 on: 03/01/2004 16:04:43 »
I always thought that the Anaconda was the largest snake.

Bezoar

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #2 on: 03/01/2004 19:54:47 »
On average, yes.  But the largest individual specimen is a python.  Kinda like how Min Yao in the NBA, who is Chinese, is the tallest guy currently playing (i think) even though the Chinese are tall on average.

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline Supercryptid

• View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/Trunko
« Reply #3 on: 03/01/2004 22:25:02 »
I remember seeing a photograph of a supposed giant snake once. The photograph was taken from a helicopter and the snake was thought to be about 60 feet long. In fact, the pilot claimed that the snake reared up and tried to strike at the helicopter!

Since the discovery of this 49-foot snake, a 60-foot snake isn't out of the question. Giant snakes like this have been a topic of cryptozoology for a while now.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05/01/2004 15:26:37 »
Mutants!

Bezoar

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06/02/2004 20:32:00 »
To tweener: this is what I get by clicking on your link.

Impossible de trouver la page
Il est possible que la page recherchée ait été supprimée, que son nom ait changé ou qu'elle ne soit pas disponible pour le moment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Essayez de la manière suivante :

Si vous avez entré l'adresse de cette page dans la barre d'adresses, vérifiez qu'elle est correcte.

Ouvrez la page de démarrage customwire.ap.org et recherchez des liens vers les informations voulues.
Cliquez sur le bouton  Précédente pour essayer un autre lien.
Cliquez sur  Rechercher pour trouver des informations sur Internet.

HTTP 404 - Fichier non trouvé
Internet Explorer  

Am I dead? Am I alive? I'm both!

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19/02/2004 22:31:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by Supercryptid

I remember seeing a photograph of a supposed giant snake once. The photograph was taken from a helicopter and the snake was thought to be about 60 feet long. In fact, the pilot claimed that the snake reared up and tried to strike at the helicopter!

Since the discovery of this 49-foot snake, a 60-foot snake isn't out of the question. Giant snakes like this have been a topic of cryptozoology for a while now.

Have you heard of the Great Crested one Eyed Trouser Snake of Papua New Guinnee?

Resident Tour Operator - The Naked Scientists

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20/02/2004 02:18:01 »
I don't suppose you might have one of those, huh Exodus?

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08/03/2004 11:46:33 »
well i dont personally no... i don't agree with keeping such creatures in captivity.

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08/03/2004 11:50:49 »
actually, tweener, i think your link has broken but for all those who might be interested, here is a picture of that Indonesian python...

Richard.

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08/03/2004 23:46:15 »
I guess the AP doesn't keep their stories online for very long.

One of the pictures showed a guy in the cage with the snake.  Wouldn't be me.  I've seen how fast a snake strikes and constricts it's prey.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline DorianGreyed

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • http://AnswerPool.com
« Reply #11 on: 20/04/2004 07:04:55 »
Sorry, folks, but that snake, when measured by a British newspaper reporter, was about 22' long. The officials said that they didn't know what happened, but it must have shrunk. Really.

newbielink:http://answerpool.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=669605981&f=653608402&m=8066034235 [nonactive]

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21/04/2004 04:05:45 »
Why am I not really surprised?  It's still a big snake though.

----

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
« Reply #13 on: 21/04/2004 08:00:38 »
Yeah, it didn't look nearly as big as some of the Anoconda's I remember seeing in amgazines when i was little.  Buts its still an impressive specimine.

We don't want the loonies taking over!

Offline kephartj

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07/07/2004 03:57:06 »
i just say on Guinness World Records.com that the largest snake ever is one they shot in indonesia in 1912 that was 32ft 9.5in. now thats big.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #15 on: 07/07/2004 06:41:07 »
Yes, it certainly is big - but do you think, given the age of that record and the post by DorianGreyed above, that the measurement is reliable ?

How rapidly do snakes grow ? How long would the 22 foot specimen take to reach 32 feet if returned to the wild ? Does anyone know ?

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline sprite190582

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07/07/2004 08:07:45 »
Excellent, a topic I actually know something about!
I have 3 snakes, A royal Python (also known as a Ball Python) (Cuddles the constrictor) she is about 5 years old and is just over 5 foot in length, she is fully grown now. My 2 Corn Snakes (Steve and Irwin) are 10 months old and about a foot in length, they will grow to approx 5 foot in total over the next 3 to 4 years. How big snakes grow to is dependent on there environment and of course the bread. In captivity they will only grown to the size the tank allows them to. If they are put in a tank that is too big they will grow to try and fill it (a territory thing). If they grow too fast health problems occur. Probably the best known snake in the world, the Boa grown to approx 10 feet and should reach that in 5 to 7 years.

The longest snake in the world (working on gathered statistics – there are a couple of odd snakes out there that just don’t stop growing) is the Reticulated Python (Python reticulates) and can grow up to 33 feet on average. Burmese Pythons (Python molurur bivittatus) grow quickly, when they are hatchlings they are approx 2 foot in length but in 2 years they will quickly grow in 15 feet and 120 pounds! The Anaconda (Eunectes murinus) is the heaviest snake in the world and often gets called the biggest it reaches on average 30 feet but over 200 pounds in weight.

I feel obligated to mention that keeping snakes as pets is very hard work, they have to be heated correctly and require frequent changes to there tank size when growing (Very expensive) Cuddles my Royal Python is a rescued snake who when I obtained her as a baby had 50% burns (due to being heated with a 100 watt household light bulb) and required bathing every 4 hours day and night. She still has her scars but is fully recovered and very happy in her very big tank that is practically the length of my front room. Steve and Irwin (Steve being a girl!) are part of a breading program to assist people in learning more about the reproductive systems of snakes. I do not agree with snakes being taken from the wild and sold on the black market and in a way I don’t even agree with reptiles as pets. I have rehabilitated many over the years (including a gorgeous water dragon whose leg had been bitten off called Hoppy) all of which had been miss treated mainly through ignorance. Think wisely before having one as a pet. (Sorry for babbling on but it’s a passionate topic for me)

Alex

Offline sprite190582

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09/07/2004 09:52:28 »
Young Anaconda

My Royal Python

Baby Royal

My Baby Corns

A royal hatching

I know I have gone a bit photo crazy but only just been told how to post pics. Hope these give you an idea of snake sizes.

Alex

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11/07/2004 04:03:40 »
Thanks for the pics Alex!  My son has a Royal (Ball) python that he is quite fond of.  Looks just like yours :).  My daughter has a rat snake that's almost 5 ft. long now.  Both were raised from hatchlings.

----

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11/07/2004 15:34:29 »
I would love to post a piccy of my snake but .........Oh I'm not even gonna bother cos you all probably know what I really mean !!!!

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11/07/2004 18:03:52 »
You mean you don't have a snake??

----

Offline OmnipotentOne

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30/08/2004 20:53:17 »
I've found a few garden snakes whe n iwas younger, adorable little things really!  Hmm there was a skeleton of  a rather massive snake at the Smithsonian, I'd say it was at leist 30 feet long

To see a world in a grain of sand.

Offline mad maXX

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08/02/2005 05:16:55 »
i've heard of snakes 70 ft i wanted to ask an expert (you) for ansews the biggest snake ive seen was 30ft

for the guy who said about the 60ft snake that attacked the chopper
« Last Edit: 08/02/2005 05:18:30 by mad maXX »

Offline mad maXX

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08/02/2005 05:21:21 »
ksd;roiuea;shvn5az.,fc;.oq.vgsq

Offline mad maXX

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08/02/2005 05:27:34 »
some one talk to me