The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are robots with emotions possible?  (Read 4790 times)

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Are robots with emotions possible?
« Reply #25 on: 20/05/2015 08:09:50 »
I thought this was an interesting article, particularly their attempt to separate emotion from feeling ..........
So would a robot need a program that has these kinds of traits of emotional states?
It is an interesting set of ideas.
Fruit flies appear to be different from house flies which seem to react to speed of movement. It is possible to creep up on them but I've never noticed a freeze mechanism, they detect movement eg shadow crossing and they are gone.

As we said earlier, robot reactions would depend on need so speed of processing and data access would modify those needs.

Yeah, I wondered that, too. For animals, surprise does seem to be an alarm that says "stop what you're doing, cancel that next action, or focus attention on this - because somethings not what I expected, and I need more time to figure out why, and what to do next."

Have you also noticed how some emotions are linked to another. Similarity between laughter and crying, one sometimes being on the edge of the other. Anger and fear? The choking sob of relief after a stress situation.
Even in a self learning robot it is hard to imagine these emotion mixes being useful or necessary. I suspect in humans it is an evolutionary borrowing of one circuit to do more than one function, efficiency of building blocks - subroutines.

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23/05/2015 22:43:57 »
try to teach them smoke first?

are they going to cough?

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24/05/2015 02:57:41 »
if they come across this thread, are they going to laugh their flat asses off?

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24/05/2015 06:51:35 »

Have you also noticed how some emotions are linked to another. Similarity between laughter and crying, one sometimes being on the edge of the other. Anger and fear? The choking sob of relief after a stress situation.
Even in a self learning robot it is hard to imagine these emotion mixes being useful or necessary. I suspect in humans it is an evolutionary borrowing of one circuit to do more than one function, efficiency of building blocks - subroutines.

Emotional response seems to be a social signal as well - for example, the laughter after the surprise of seeing a snake that turns out to be rubber - a kind of "false alarm" signal.

I wonder, also, about the connection between emotion and memory or learning in emotions. That is, whether certain experiences don't make it as easily into long term memory if they aren't accompanied by an emotional response. That correlation wouldn't prove that emotion facilitates memory, since things that provoke an emotional response might just also be worth remembering. But perhaps an artificially induced state (from say, a shot of adrenalin) improving memory of a fact or event might be evidence.

This article was kind of interesting, since it discusses whether neutral events or words preceding emotionally salient ones are better retained, although there is some conflicting data.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2917000/
Reconciling findings of emotion-induced memory enhancement and impairment of preceding items

A robot would probably not need this kind of memory enhancement if it occurs.

« Last Edit: 24/05/2015 06:55:06 by cheryl j »

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22/06/2015 18:39:17 »
if a science loving robot join the chat, says something we don't like to hear about, what can we do?

it has auto rebut build in.

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 22/06/2015 22:39:06 »

I wonder, also, about the connection between emotion and memory or learning in emotions. That is, whether certain experiences don't make it as easily into long term memory if they aren't accompanied by an emotional response. That correlation wouldn't prove that emotion facilitates memory, since things that provoke an emotional response might just also be worth remembering. But perhaps an artificially induced state (from say, a shot of adrenalin) improving memory of a fact or event might be evidence.
This connection between emotion and memory would certainly be responsible for things like post traumatic stress. There is good reason for us to remember events associated with fear etc.
I suppose in a robot it would be possible to program a prioritisation system for memories, but would a self learning robot decide to do that?

Offline Katori

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 17/01/2016 16:32:14 »
Maybe. But I`m really afraid of this possibility. It can`t bring something very good for human beings. We will not be unique in this case.

Offline Jolly

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14/03/2016 17:00:32 »
"Just do the spread sheet"

"No you dont care about me"

Offline Jolly

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 14/03/2016 17:06:33 »
"it was three weeks ago I didnt even get that up grade"

"you dont even understand me, you just want the spread sheet and then your off again, playing space hockey"

Offline aarti89

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 19/03/2016 09:39:20 »
gggfdgfg

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #34 on: 19/03/2016 09:39:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums