The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do I download personal ID documents at remote airports?  (Read 2084 times)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
It is all to easy to end up at a remote airport with no cash or papers to this end I have put scans of my passport and bank cards onto my PogoPlug cloud account so that if I can get onto the internet I can book into a hotel and hopefully get back to this blessed land.
I need access to a computer and need permission to download the PogoPlug software and print out my cards etc.
if permission was withheld could I access my cloud or any other bearing in mind the computer might have old software like XP32 ?.

« Last Edit: 19/04/2015 11:34:48 by chris »

~CB

Re: Making remote access
« Reply #1 on: 19/04/2015 06:53:57 »
I have been to a lot of airports but never have I had to take permission to download anything or access the internet. Although you will only get 10 minutes of free internet access I believe you are allowed to download anything. I have never used PogoPlug before so I had to read about it, just now. You can actually just sign-in to your account and download the files you need. You don't need to download any pogoplug software to get your files. Just sign in to the website with your account and download the files. And, don't worry! Airport staff is usually very friendly so even if you are out of money, just tell an airport staff person your problem and he/she will help you. No matter how remote the airport might be. By the way, are you travelling internationally? If you are, I'm pretty sure you need original passport instead of scans. I might be wrong though. Anyways, good luck!

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/04/2015 10:52:54 »
Thanks for the advice I did not think it was so simple and thought I had to load additional software onto the computer which the owner of the computer might not have permitted.
I once arrived in SIN Changi (my favourite airport) having checked in my travel bag containing my wallet into baggage so I had a 6 hour wait and only about 5 Singapore dollars in my back pocket, I checked with the airport hotel desk and they told me I could have a room if I made a booking via the Internet.
I did not pursue the problem of cash but probably if I went to the currency exchange office and got onto my bank account via the internet I could have made a cash transfer.
Although I probably would have had problems at LHR with only a passport print out it I think it would have been a help boarding my flight back but I cannot recall whether or not I had it with me on this occasion.   
« Last Edit: 19/04/2015 12:12:26 by syhprum »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 19/04/2015 10:52:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums