The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do you expect Science to know everything?  (Read 39328 times)

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you expect Science to know everything?
« Reply #75 on: 28/04/2015 08:30:09 »
Quote from: Jasper Hayden
Here is your answer Mr. Peter;
Answer to what? You sure speak in riddles a lot. Quite often you assume that people know what you're talking about and then when you post a comment with that assumption it comes across very confusing. It's one of the reasons I haven't invited you to join my forum. You're going to need to stop making so many assumptions. This comment is a perfect example. You posted "Here is your answer Mr. Peter;" and then you leave it like that thus providing nothing that could be interpreted as an answer to anything. Not only that I don't see anything which could be a question by me directed towards you to begin with. I simply don't allow that kind of confusion in my forum.

By the way, I just got the book you referred me and it's pretty good for my level! Thanks for the reference again!
What book was that? IT's best to state what you're referring to in situations like this. It's not as though I keep a record or can recall all the suggestions of which books I recommend to people.

~CB

« Reply #76 on: 28/04/2015 09:00:27 »
Quote from: Pete
Quote from: Jasper
Why do you expect Science to know everything?
I'm curious where you ever got this idea from? It's most certainly wrong.

Fascinating how two people can read the same thing and understand it differently.  I took it that Jasper was chiding those who seemed to expect science to know everything.

Here is your answer Mr. Peter;
By the way, I just got the book you referred me and it's pretty good for my level! Thanks for the reference again!
I quoted the answer along. I don't really see how you can misinterpret the whole thing. Unless of course, you did not read the quoted part.
I do realize my mistake though. I will be sure to be precise from now on.

The book I was talking about, that you referred to me was 'Quantum Reality: Beyond new physics'.
« Last Edit: 28/04/2015 09:43:40 by Jasper Hayden »

~CB

« Reply #77 on: 28/04/2015 09:05:48 »
Also, I don't understand what are you thanking me for? Please clarify.

I don't recall sending you an invitation to join and membership is by invitation only. I need to know you a lot better than I do now before I invite you to join.
If we are both talking about the same forum... which is 'http://newenglandphysics.org/professional_forum/index.php', then you need to fix the registration process. Since it allows anyone to join the forum. Although, if I'm mistaken and it's not the forum I think it is. Then, my apologies!

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 28/04/2015 10:04:05 »
I quoted the answer along. I don't really see how you can misinterpret the whole thing. Unless of course, you did not read the quoted part.
Because
Quote from: PmbPhy
Fascinating how two people can read the same thing and understand it differently.  I took it that Jasper was chiding those who seemed to expect science to know everything.
is not a question that I posed. That's why saying that "Here's the answer Mr. Peter" is confusing. I.e. because there is neither an obvious question nor an obvious answer that you gave.
I do realize my mistake though. I will be sure to be precise from now on.
You'll also have to explain what the answer was.
The book I was talking about, that you referred to me was 'Quantum Reality: Beyond new physics'.
I see. I'm glad you like it.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 28/04/2015 10:06:13 »
If we are both talking about the same forum... which is 'http://newenglandphysics.org/professional_forum/index.php', then you need to fix the registration process. Since it allows anyone to join the forum. Although, if I'm mistaken and it's not the forum I think it is. Then, my apologies!
In the first place, that forum is not open to anybody except professional scientists. Didn't you notice that it's called the "professional" forum? In the second place it doesn't allow anyone to join. All you were able to do is register. It requires my approval to be accepted. In the third place I did something wrong which allowed people to register without my approval. Take a look at the threads people started. They're all nonsense, i.e. they're not meant to start a conversation. They only joined so that they could post advertisements.
« Last Edit: 28/04/2015 10:16:09 by PmbPhy »

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 29/04/2015 18:24:31 »
Quote from: Colin2B
Some folks on here fail to realise that answers are not intended to "write the textbook" but can only be a summary, and hence incomplete, sometimes appearing inconsistent and seemingly full of holes!
I'm so glad that you know this. I've pointed this out in the past but don't do it that often since people don't really listen to it. They wrongly perceive it as an excuse for an error. The fact that you know this point as well as you do makes you a very wise man in my opinion.  :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #80 on: 29/04/2015 18:24:31 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums