The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do you revive a dead computer?  (Read 8047 times)

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: How do you revive a dead computer?
« Reply #25 on: 08/07/2015 17:10:45 »
I'd have to memorise a lot of information to be able to do the job without a massive amount of trial and error experimentation. I think I'd rather put the effort into building a boat to sail home in.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08/07/2015 18:18:01 »
Although I have no modem I do have a phone and a audio tape recorder, my CPM computer is capable of downloading software from an audio file that presumably could be sent over the phone line and recorded on the audio tape recorder.
I have a tape of such an audio file recorded in 1969 I think from the  ATS3 communication satellite but no reel to reel machine to play it on so this would substitute for a modem (we had to be clever to work with what was available in the sixties!) .
So write me some software on a CPM emulation (or genuine machine) encode it as an audio file and send it across on my phone line then I will sneak a 5" drive into my pc , boot it up and down load some suitable software off the internet then I will be back in business 

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09/07/2015 17:53:17 »
The phone line should be useful - you could get any information you need through voice and type programmes byte by byte into the CP/M machine knowing that someone's already tested the code back home. You can also call for help, and if you don't want to leave the island you could arrange to have a new PC delivered.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09/07/2015 19:12:14 »
I am of course banished to this island for crimes to horrible to mention, the last time the anti sex crime inspectors visited they found that I was having sex with my pet sheep they decided that as punishment I could either be castrated or have my hard disk formatted I rather unwisely chose the later.

http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/transfer/datassette/index.html

There is a lot of information on audio file data storage and conversion here
« Last Edit: 09/07/2015 19:22:08 by syhprum »

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10/07/2015 17:20:20 »
I'd definitely put the time into building a boat - I don't think I'd want to hang around too long with such a hardened criminal, and particularly if the sheep have been confiscated.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 11/07/2015 20:21:08 »
I am now a reformed character you would be in no danger, when the parole board next visit they may well allow me to return from my exile.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #30 on: 11/07/2015 20:21:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums