The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why is my lap top tellling me my version of windows is not legit?  (Read 2931 times)

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
It's the version that came with it. What should I do? And how do I know the message is legit?

~CB

Windows 8, 7, XP... which one? Where did you buy this laptop from? Do you have an antivirus? if so, which one? Have you downloaded software from a website that is not trust worthy?
If what you said is true and Windows is giving you the error that is it not 'legit' then it's probably a trojan virus planted to scam you. Although if you are getting an error saying your windows is not 'genuine' then there's a possibility that it really is not. Only your answer to the details I asked for would tell.

~CB

You should probably download 'Malwarebytes Anti Malware' (Google it). It comes with a 14 day premium which would allow you to completely scan your computer. It's the best anti virus if you want to stay trojan free. It will confirm whether if there is a trojan at play there, which is causing that error.

~CB

You should also try re entering your activation key, maybe that'll help.
You can re enter it by completing these following steps I'm about to state below:

"-Click the Start button Picture of the Start button, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
-Scroll down to the bottom of the window that appears, and then, under Windows activation, click Change product key. If you're prompted for permission to continue the process, click Continue.

-Follow the instructions to change your product key and activate your copy of Windows 7."

Although if there you find written that 'Windows is activated' then it probably a virus causing it.
...And malwarebytes will probably fix that.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
If Windows was correctly activated, (via inputting the activation-key code), the "not genuine" message is most likely caused by a windows update , (rather than a trojan) ...

Quote from: thewindowsclub.com
After you install your genuine copy of the Windows operating system on your computer, you are required to activate Windows within a stipulated period of time. If you do not, you will see a message This copy of Windows is not genuine. On rare occasions, this may also happen after a Windows Update
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/this-copy-of-windows-is-not-genuine

If re-entering the windows activation code doesn't solve the problem you may have to use Windows own ability to repair itself ... http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/help/genuine/faq
« Last Edit: 23/04/2015 15:16:06 by RD »

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
It's a Dell bought from Best Buy, about five or six years ago with Windows 7. I only have Avira antivirus.
Next time I'm at the library I'll see what happens. I usually only do updates when I have wifi.
« Last Edit: 23/04/2015 18:02:15 by cheryl j »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Online syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
if I use AOMEI Partition Assistant Pro Edition 5.5 to make exact copy of a HDD to make a backup when I run this drive everything appears the same but when I look into System it says its not activated.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums