The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: A hair that regrows ?..but why ?  (Read 16526 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
A hair that regrows ?..but why ?
« on: 01/11/2006 22:37:47 »
Ladies, Gentleman, Trannies, Confused, Dan ! (lol)

There is this hair that lives on the side of my nose....it's very thin and is barely seen...anyway...I pluck it...get the root every time !!..so WHY does it grow back ?

why ?...I want to know !

Thanks

Neil

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
Re: A hair that regrows ?..but why ?
« Reply #1 on: 02/11/2006 01:56:21 »
Hmmm, I have a mole on my chin or a birthmark which has one growing out of it too...same thing,I pluck it root and all it grows back...

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/11/2006 14:07:37 »
Hmmm, I have a mole on my chin or a birthmark which has one growing out of it too...same thing,I pluck it root and all it grows back...

Hi LO (giggles)....Mam !!..(trying to not show panic !!)...but how long has this hair been growing out of this mole ?

You know what I am getting at don't you ?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/11/2006 14:15:51 »
Hey you are plucing the root and all. You have not pulled the hair folical itself. I am not sure, but doesn't electrolisis kill the folical itself! I have a few that feel comfortable growing upon my chin.. I pluck them regularly.. I just waxed them once two weeks ago, not asign one of them back again.. Yeah!! BUt it hurt really bad!! I don't know if I can do it again!

ROBERT

« Reply #4 on: 02/11/2006 15:45:25 »
Don't be plucking silly, fry those unwanted follicles with a laser:-

" Laser hair removal

What is it?
Laser beam targeted at hair follicles to prevent new growth.

Timings
May take several sessions of 15-45 minutes to treat one area. Most people have some regrowth within a year, which can be treated as needed.

Cost
40-400 per session, depending on size of area treated.

What is laser hair removal?
Lasers produce a high-intensity ray of pure light which gives off heat energy. This energy is absorbed by different body tissues, depending on the colour of the laser beam. That's why laser light can pass safely through the skin, and destroy targeted cells under the surface without harming surrounding areas. For hair removal, the heat energy damages the cells at the root of the hair, thus preventing further growth.

What laser hair removal can do.
The treatment can be used on the face or on any other part of the body including bikini line, under arms, legs and stomach. The treatment works best on new hairs that are just starting to grow, which is why you will need several treatments in the same area to deal with all the hairs as they begin their growth cycle.

What laser hair removal can't do.
It probably won't remove all hair permanently, but should reduce growth significantly, and any regrowth is likely to be paler and weaker. Lasers are targeted at pigmented tissue, so they don't work on white, grey or platinum blonde hair.

What happens during treatment?
As with any cosmetic treatment, you should consult a qualified practitioner before deciding to go ahead.

You may need to wear goggles, depending on the laser system used. A cooling gel or spray, or even an anaesthetic cream may be applied to the treatment area. Lasering stings or tingles, and takes 15-45 minutes, depending on the size of the area. The same area is lasered once a month for two to eight months, until all the hair follicles have been treated.

After treatment the skin may look red and slightly swollen, but this should disappear within 24 hours. You can return to normal daily life straight away.

Results
Most people need at least three sessions for best effect. The damaged hairs are shed gradually in the two weeks after treatment.

Risks
The treatment works best, and has fewest risks, on pale skin. Let any sun tan fade before you consider treatment. The skin can be left with dark marks or pale patches, which should fade over several months. Lasers don't always work well on red hair. Because laser energy is absorbed by pigment, it may not be suitable for people with darker complexions, because of the risk of too much energy being absorbed and damaging the skin. People with Mediterranean complexions can be treated, but with care.
You should also avoid laser treatment if you are particularly sensitive to light or have any infection around the place to be treated. You should not have laser treatment if you have been treated for acne with Isotretinoin in the previous year.

Where to get treatment
Treatment can be given by medical professionals, or by trained beauticians.

Cost
Treatment starts at around 40 per session for a small area, rising to 400 for larger areas. Most people need a minimum of three sessions for good results.

Hair removal without laser treatment.
Shaving equipment, creams, bleaches and other preparations are widely available. Most of these are easy and quick to use, but regrowth is rapid.
Hair can be waxed away, but this can be quite painful and has to be repeated regularly.
Electrolysis is still offered by some clinics, but this is a painful treatment which can cause scars, and is best suited to small areas because each hair has to be treated individually. "

http://www.channel4.com/health/microsites/L/lust4life/look_young/treat_laserh_t.html
« Last Edit: 02/11/2006 16:18:30 by ROBERT »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/11/2006 17:40:48 »
THANKS ROBERT !!....

If I come to you directly, do i get a discount !! ?  ;)

ROBERT

« Reply #6 on: 02/11/2006 18:02:33 »
THANKS ROBERT !!....

If I come to you directly, do i get a discount !! ?  ;)

It won't hurt a bit Neil, I promise  :)

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/history/pastprojects/Beam/index.html
« Last Edit: 02/11/2006 18:06:02 by ROBERT »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02/11/2006 18:22:45 »
LOL !!!!...all that for one hair !!!

Noooooooooooooo !!!!

Thanks for the smiles Robert !!

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21/11/2006 13:40:27 »

No, stop, don't pluck hairs from moles, just trim them - you don't want to 'transform' that mole into something malignant! STOPPP!!!

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21/11/2006 15:13:33 »
WHAT????  Is that true?  Plucking hairs from a mole can make it malignant?  How so?

Carolyn

p.s.  Did I mention before that I'm glad you're back? ;D

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22/11/2006 06:38:49 »
Yeash Is that really true Jen!

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22/11/2006 19:22:28 »
If you have a mole that's unattractive, you may choose to cover it up using makeup designed to conceal blemishes and moles. If you have a hair growing from a mole, it may be possible to clip it close to the skin's surface. Dermatologists also can permanently remove hair from moles. If you have a mole in a beard, you may want to have it removed by your doctor because shaving over it repeatedly may cause irritation. You may also want to have moles removed from other parts of your body that are vulnerable to trauma and friction.

Anytime you cut or irritate a mole, be sure to keep the area clean. See your doctor if the mole doesn't heal.

December 05, 2005
1998-2006 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER).

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22/11/2006 21:21:01 »
I have one in my armpit, very small that I am always shaving off or nicking when I shave under my arms! It has never been too big, but is hard to miss as it is in the way when I shave!

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22/11/2006 23:08:08 »

Hi LO (giggles)....Mam !!..(trying to not show panic !!)...but how long has this hair been growing out of this mole ?

You know what I am getting at don't you ?

LOL  You are something else....I guess since I was in my twenties literally...

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22/11/2006 23:09:11 »
Hey you are plucing the root and all. You have not pulled the hair folical itself. I am not sure, but doesn't electrolisis kill the folical itself! I have a few that feel comfortable growing upon my chin.. I pluck them regularly.. I just waxed them once two weeks ago, not asign one of them back again.. Yeah!! BUt it hurt really bad!! I don't know if I can do it again!

Just the root...ouch!

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22/11/2006 23:10:05 »

No, stop, don't pluck hairs from moles, just trim them - you don't want to 'transform' that mole into something malignant! STOPPP!!!

It is just one stubborn one...hehe  Okay, I will stop...when it is long enough I will braid it with the rest of my hair...hugs miss ya!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23/11/2006 02:25:38 »
Mine might scare Santa clause if I let it go!!

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #17 on: 23/11/2006 05:41:56 »

Umm I read over that entire article, and the only conclusion that I can arrive at is that you could possibly develop an infection from a cut (by shaving) or a hair plucked mole, seeing as it is opened up and asking for bacteria.

No where does it say anything about an infected mole becoming malignant. So to be sure I looked up the definition of malignant, and the general consensus is that malignant = cancerous.

I just thought that people are scared enough of getting cancer, it probably isn't a safe idea to tell them they can get it by improving their appearance (Don't worry neil, some women find nose hairs very sexy!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #17 on: 23/11/2006 05:41:56 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums