The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How would frame dragging affect gravitational acceleration?  (Read 1344 times)

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
I am currently thinking about frame dragging and what effects it would have on a body falling towards a dense object under the influence of gravity. I have looked at the Kerr metric but haven't yet worked out what all the functions actually represent.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
For an overview, look at our old friend Wikipedia.

Apparently, frame dragging imparting angular momentum to an orbiting body is a larger effect than frame dragging on a body falling straight towards a dense object. I guess partly because frame dragging has more time to act on an orbiting body than a falling body?

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
For an overview, look at our old friend Wikipedia.

Apparently, frame dragging imparting angular momentum to an orbiting body is a larger effect than frame dragging on a body falling straight towards a dense object. I guess partly because frame dragging has more time to act on an orbiting body than a falling body?

At the moment I am looking at the Schwarzschild metric and a straight line path to towards the centre of gravity. I want to start by excluding frame dragging and avoid parabolic functions. The profile of this path can then be a baseline. This will show up extremes where an orbital won't.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums