The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Talking of urine, have you seen this?  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Talking of urine, have you seen this?
« on: 03/05/2015 13:35:13 »
Jasper was asking about urine for mouthwash so when looking at New Scientist and seeing an article on urine, I thought of him:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn27224-sushi-parasite-inspires-worm-test-for-cancer.html#.VUYVZrK9KK1

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Talking of urine, have you seen this?
« Reply #1 on: 03/05/2015 18:33:00 »
This result sounds too good to be true. I have no doubt that nematodes have an excellent sense of "smell" which could be useful in identifying cancers or precancerous tissues, but the claim that they have the same response for "stomach, colorectal, colon, oesophageal, pancreas, bile duct, prostate, breast and lung cancers," to me is more suggestive of an error in analysis or purposeful misinterpretation. These types of cancers are biochemically distinct, and even if nematodes had evolved to feed on cancerous tissue in the digestive tracts of humans, I don't see why that would also translate to breast and lung cancers...

I agree with Michael Philips, who the article quotes in the final paragraph:

<<"It's very surprising that the nematodes exhibited such a strong binary response to 'cancer' versus 'no cancer' urine," says Michael Phillips at Menssana Research, a New Jersey-based company developing diagnostic tests based on people's breath. He says the complexity of the tumours and the environment in which the samples are collected can contribute to confusing results. "We ought to suspend judgement on the test until it has been replicated in other labs using very careful controls," he says.>>

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Talking of urine, have you seen this?
« Reply #1 on: 03/05/2015 18:33:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums