The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can persistent viral infections be best treated or managed?  (Read 928 times)

Offline Promilla

• View Profile
Hi there!
So I am an immunology student and so I took as a challenge to come up (at least theoretically) with a way to get rid of a very stubborn, persistent virus I've had for up to 7 years now.
I am talking about HPV (don;t know which type exactly). One of the types that is causing flat warts.
As the infection is persistent, I can assume that my immune system will not take care of it anytime soon. Cryo-therapy is also out of question as they are very small and spread all around arms and face...
So. I was wondering. We probably cannot use any of the cytokines which would normally be used in a viral infection as it would most likely cause systemic response (unless injected directly into the region where the warts are? any thoughts?). Plus I think cytokines are expensive and hard to get to.  :D
My idea was to try using monoclonar antibodies specific for the type of HPV I have? Would it be possible? And most importantly would it work? I mean, they would perhaps mediate the ADCC and perhaps opsonize infected cells? Any thoughts?I guess there might be a problem with getting these types of antibodies? But theoretically, would it be possible to raise them?
I am hoping to get some smart people correcting me and perhaps throwing some interesting thoughts on this immunology issue!
« Last Edit: 03/05/2015 21:01:30 by chris »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
A lot of persistent viral infections have naturally evolved immune-evasion strategies that include release of decoy molecules, activity in immune-privileged sites or immune-inaccessible sites, rapid viral turnover often with high mutation rates. HPV is known to be problematic once it is established, which is why the cervical cancer vaccine, which protects against infection with high-risk HPV types linked to cervical cancer through the elaboration of neutralising HPV antibody, must be administered before sexual contact and viral acquisition occurs. 

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums