The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What makes an object or a medium fall to the ground?  (Read 26897 times)

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Re: What makes an object or a medium fall to the ground?
« Reply #100 on: 23/05/2015 18:48:23 »
Not the sky, but the sun itself.

And the effect should be observable in an aeroplane! The earth turns at about 1000 mph at the equator, say 500 mph at temperate latitudes. So flying east or west at pretty well any speed should visibly alter the spectrum of the sun. Does it? Oh dear me, no.

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 24/05/2015 09:52:59 »

And the effect should be observable in an aeroplane! The earth turns at about 1000 mph at the equator, say 500 mph at temperate latitudes. So flying east or west at pretty well any speed should visibly alter the spectrum of the sun. Does it? Oh dear me, no.

Good logic, however the aeroplane is within the earths atmosphere radius. If there was a red sky at night in the west, looking out of a planes window flying east, the sky would still be red.

If you consider a Prism, the spectral wavelengths could be made by distance increase of the angle , changing the radiation pressure on the surface, a mechanism for process,

/

angle being more distance to travel for the light.

consider points as a line,

ten points above

now imagine that angle is a race finish line, and 10 cars race from right to left all at the same speed, in a row top to bottom, car 10 at the bottom always wins.

Now if we change the cars to a continued particle stream, a solidity with physical presence but no physical body, and the stream is emitted horizontal to the left, line 10 exerts more force on the stream than line 1. 

line 10 blue
line 1 red

look at a prism.

Or simply compare by overlaying a couple of springs.

Either way a bit off topic and boarder line theory.

I observe from science that any particle from ''birth'' is instantly ''charged''  by EMR.  Would that be true?

I observe that gravity steals the ''energy'' out of water to freeze it, and observe that ice is not water expansion but gain from environment?
« Last Edit: 24/05/2015 10:09:53 by Thebox »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 24/05/2015 14:01:19 »

Good logic, however the aeroplane is within the earths atmosphere radius. If there was a red sky at night in the west, looking out of a planes window flying east, the sky would still be red.

And so it is, so the color of the sky has nothing to do with the velocity of the observer relative to the sun or the atmosphere. And just to make it more interesting, the sun has the same color however you observe it from earth orbit or en route to the moon, unless the earth's atmosphere is in the way.

If you really want to know about the color of the sky, look up "Rayleigh Scattering". http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/atmos/blusky.html is very good.

Offline Bill S

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 24/05/2015 15:46:24 »
Quote from: Thebox
I observe that gravity steals the ''energy'' out of water to freeze it, and observe that ice is not water expansion but gain from environment?

Is it me, or does this really not make any sense?

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 24/05/2015 22:51:30 »
Quote from: Thebox

Is it me, or does this really not make any sense?

Sorry Bill, I suppose in my head it seems easy to understand. I may just be ill, delusions of grandeur, I am not a scientist, but something compels me to keep coming back .

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #104 on: 24/05/2015 22:51:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums