The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do I cry when I play music?  (Read 3884 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Why do I cry when I play music?
« on: 15/05/2015 02:50:01 »
Furqon Alam asked the Naked Scientists:

I compose music as a hobby.

My problem is whenever i compose music, whether i am playing it on piano or guitar or violin, my eyes water up. It is very disturbing. People around me even think that i am crying, which is definitely not the case, because i don't feel like crying, it just pours from my eyes.

This is not occasional, it happens every-time i compose or play something new, something from heart, during the creation process.

I am not an emotional person, i am a day trader at stock exchange. And this tear build up happens only when I am composing music.

I want to know why and whether anything is wrong?

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 15/05/2015 02:50:01 by _system »

Offline jccc

• View Profile
Re: Why do I cry when I play music?
« Reply #1 on: 15/05/2015 04:15:46 »
maybe last life you were a great musician, but no one agree with you.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/05/2015 05:29:48 »
...  whenever i compose music, whether i am playing it on piano or guitar or violin, my eyes water up. It is very disturbing. People around me even think that i am crying, which is definitely not the case, because i don't feel like crying, it just pours from my eyes.

Tears of Joy ?

Tearing is a way of visually & chemically-signalling our mood to others.

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15/05/2015 07:29:42 »
Furqon Alam asked the Naked Scientists:

People around me even think that i am crying, which is definitely not the case, because i don't feel like crying, it just pours from my eyes.
Do you have any other physical symptoms? Tightness in throat or chest, tingling sensations? Do you get similar effect when listening to music?

I don't think there is anything wrong with you. Music affects us all in different ways, sometimes when I hear a new piece I can feel the hairs on my neck stand on end. Music often triggers emotional responses and they show themselves in different ways, it's very common for people feel a tightness in the throat or chest.

Anyone else out there who gets physical symptoms when playing or hearing music?

Offline annie123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15/05/2015 22:26:49 »
I have the same sensation - without any particylar reason though - in that I can feel tears welling up on occasion when there is no particular stimulus. Sometimes it makes it difficult to talk and I have to take a breath and pretend I am thinking before I can compose myself. I'm not a particularly emotional person either in terms of sentimentality or the more superficial forms of emotion. I wrote to the guy who wrote a book about music and the brain once and he couldn't answer the question about music -This is your Brain On Music- Daniel Levitin -which I thought was the most important one really. Someone did say once to me that it meant i ahd all sorts of buried distress etc which may be true but is probably true of most of us and most of us don't have this tearing/choking up problem. If anyone has any ideas about it please post - or do a thesis on it!

Offline Robert Wallace

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06/02/2016 17:43:27 »
I have the same problem and am a very creative person. I cry when I compose a story that's personal, play certain chords on my guitar and listen to Spanish music. I also tear up when I see a child win a talent contest or make an outstanding performance. I also have vivid dreams that seem very real. I am only seventy two. :)

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07/02/2016 03:25:21 »
Congratulations on being a composer! That is a significant accomplishment!

Quote from: Furqon Alam
whether i am playing it on piano or guitar or violin, my eyes water up.
Possibly a more mundane cause: Are your instruments or your music studio dusty? When you play them could you get dust in your eyes?

my eyes water up.... i don't feel like crying, it just pours from my eyes.
I can only recall one occasion when that happened to me, and I think that was due to excessive sun glare. Maybe a lampshade on your music stand?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 07/02/2016 03:25:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums