The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: DiscussDo newborn babies feel pain?  (Read 1476 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
DiscussDo newborn babies feel pain?
« on: 26/09/2016 18:13:41 »
In this episode of the eLife podcast we hear about echolocation, bacteriophages, babies and pain, a neural code for food abundance, and how zebrafish can make their own sunscreen.
Listen to this Show

or  

If you want to discuss this show, or ask a question, this is the place to do it.
« Last Edit: 26/09/2016 18:13:41 by _system »

Offline Pecos_Bill

• View Profile
I was a teen-age circumcision assistant
« Reply #1 on: 23/05/2015 08:07:37 »
As a young Army orderly assigned to the post partum ward at Landstuhl Army hospital tasked with bringing neonates to the doctor and strapping them to the "circ"board to get circumcised (w/o anesthetic) -- either the babies  felt pain or I'm a dutchman.
« Last Edit: 23/05/2015 08:09:59 by Pecos_Bill »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Do newborn babies feel pain?
« Reply #2 on: 23/05/2015 12:39:42 »
I bet that line works well at parties!

Seriously, however, how the idea that babies don't feel pain took root in the first place is a mystery to me. Certainly there are brain pathways that are under-developed at birth, but pain is so fundamental to healthy development - through guiding avoidance of damaging insults - that it seems logical that it should be prioritised developmentally.

Thankfully, hospital circumcisions are mostly done these days under local anaesthesia, which can be administered as a cream that carries the anaesthetic agent through the skin; this can be combined with a small injection of local to achieve temporary numbing of the area; the result is a safe and pain-free procedure.

Offline Pecos_Bill

• View Profile
Son of "I was a teenage circumcision assistant"
« Reply #3 on: 23/05/2015 21:46:26 »
In 1965 medicine was different. The doctor told me that the babe was only crying because he was restrained on the circ board. My feeling then was that this was a fairy story to soothe the MD's conscience. I also think that it would have been a rare and reckless 1965 doc who would have tried an injection into a neonate's penis just to do an elective circumcision.

I later worked in a step-down nursery (from NICU) in the 70's. I wish to God the most painful thing I ever did to a babe was assist in a circumcision.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Son of "I was a teenage circumcision assistant"
« Reply #3 on: 23/05/2015 21:46:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums