The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can I reset my CMOS?  (Read 2958 times)

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
How can I reset my CMOS?
« on: 20/05/2015 04:24:09 »
Recently I had a problem with my CMOS battery, which had to be removed and reinstalled (it tested good, but its receptacle is more questionable). The problem appears to have wiped out my prior CMOS settings, resulting in the system using the default settings instead. But I have no idea what the prior settings were.  This change seems to have made certain processes not work well, such as running the anti-virus software at the same time as other applications, which has suddenly become very slow and so I suspect it has something to do with the CMOS. Is there any way for a nonexpert to reset them?  The operating system is Windows XP and the machine recently received an upgrade of RAM to the level of 2 gigabytes, the great majority of which is still is reported as present when looking at My Computer.  (Why it all does not show up I am not sure). 

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: How can I reset my CMOS?
« Reply #1 on: 20/05/2015 06:38:46 »
Too late now , but you're supposed to make a note of the BIOS settings before removing the CMOS coin-battery ... http://ask-leo.com/how_can_i_save_my_bios_settings_before_replacing_the_cmos_battery.html

... running the anti-virus software at the same time as other applications, which has suddenly become very slow and so I suspect it has something to do with the CMOS. ...

The BIOS can have a setting for the CPU frequency, ( MHz or GHz ). aka "CPU clock rate". If that is now set lower than before the machine will run slower.

Your computer's manufacturer may have a website where you can obtain the BIOS for your specific machine ...
http://www.howtogeek.com/196916/how-to-check-your-bios-version-and-update-it

NB:
if you make a mistake when "flashing the BIOS" your computer can be rendered unusable : a brick.

« Last Edit: 20/05/2015 07:09:28 by RD »

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23/05/2015 05:32:55 »
Instructive, thanks. Maybe it would be best not to mess with this.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23/05/2015 13:09:44 »
I can understand why some large organizations hang on to a long obsolete OS such as windows XP but not while a private user would not have upgraded at least to windows 7 which is superior although it is to approaching obsolesence 

Offline nicephotog

• H h H h H h H h H h
    • View Profile
    • Freeware Downloads
« Reply #4 on: 17/06/2015 08:48:25 »
If anything is sensitive to the BIOS settings, it would be anti-virus!
Put your anti-virus disc in and either repair or re-install and then go to its control panel and reset the program to its scanning settings you had it.

Offline nicephotog

• H h H h H h H h H h
    • View Profile
    • Freeware Downloads
« Reply #5 on: 02/07/2015 03:14:54 »
You can probably download a CMOS "install configuration disc image",
for your "main-board and chip-set" brand and version model.
Then install the configuration into your CMOS (works alike doing a first time OS install from a CD).

The most common OS problem from BIOS is the "hard disc detection" and choosing LBA or NORMAL , the message often is that UNIX OS's require NORMAL as the setting, but with DOS/WIN you only need LBA if you format using LBA (Large Block Addressing).

As for RAM , where is your computer, RAM sometimes gets stolen because it is only 4 to 6 screws on the casing and the side clips on the RAM strip!
« Last Edit: 02/07/2015 03:19:52 by nicephotog »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 02/07/2015 03:14:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length