The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why does everyone ask if life could 'start' in space?  (Read 2114 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Dan asked the Naked Scientists:

I can't understand why I here so often here that life could have started in space(without wanting to be sarcastic) the planet we live on IS IN SPACE and Earth is the egg of life(in this region) and with the sun and the goldilocks event why not consider we are life waiting to hatch and explore and meet hundreds and thousands of other eggs that have or waiting to hatch. We don't need to prove it "life just is" (and the proof is here we are).

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 21/05/2015 20:50:01 by _system »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Re: Why does everyone ask if life could 'start' in space?
« Reply #1 on: 21/05/2015 22:47:00 »
I concur.

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/05/2015 23:27:14 »
I also agree...............Remember Murphy's Law: "If it can happen, it will." And it; that is LIFE, did happen on this small blue planet. And life being so abundant here on earth causes one to reason that life is, most assuredly, abundant throughout the universe.

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/05/2015 23:31:36 »
Add me to the list.
People often quote this as if it answers the big question, but it doesn't answer anything.

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22/05/2015 00:28:32 »
I agree whole-heartedly that existence of life here strongly suggests that it could start elsewhere as well.

However, I do not think it is likely that life could start "in space" (splitting hairs here, I know). If life arises from random (and rare) interactions between molecules, it is most likely to arise where there are large concentrations of necessary molecules in a fairly controlled environment. Planets and moons would fit the bill, but I would be very surprised if life could arise in diffuse gas clouds or the high vacuum of interstellar (even interplanetary) space...

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26/05/2015 23:21:33 »
I think what you may be referring to is the theory of Panspermia. Due to the age of the Universe and the sheer size of the observable Universe, life may well have started before the Earth even formed.  The theory of Panspermia is that of life pervading space time from a different origin and essentially the Earth seeded by that life.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 26/05/2015 23:21:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length