The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Poll

What do you think are the status on Aliens?

There are no aliens in this universe
Aliens exist, but will never find us
Aliens are already among us
other (explain)

Author Topic: Aliens, what do you think?  (Read 13197 times)

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Re: Aliens, what do you think?
« Reply #25 on: 06/11/2006 23:02:29 »
There are no other stars within one light year.  It is quite possible to communicate over distances of many hundreds of light years and more if we know exactly where to aim our transmitters and receivers please remember we communicate with spacecraft out as far as Saturn with about the power of a mobile phone and could use a lot less if we really needed to.

If we don't learn how to live with in our means on this planet by reducing our population and recycling our resources we will not make it to the next millennium as an advanced technological society
« Last Edit: 06/11/2006 23:06:48 by Soul Surfer »

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #26 on: 06/11/2006 23:54:48 »
Hello Alberto!  I have talked to a few...but the amazing thing is they have been in denial for over zen klingon years....pretending to be humans...pffft! The nerve of them....They are the reason why we pay more for houses...LOL There will be no invasion in 2012...they already invaded us in 1992...we are stuck in a time warp!

By the way...Kisses and more kisses back! ;-)
You mean that you don't trust very much today 14 y.o. people?  :)

By the way...Kisses and more kisses and a deep hug back!  [:X]

They are aliens until they are adults!  LOL  Subhuman?
You sexy man....just love the way you kiss me back...and hug too...mwahhhh!

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07/11/2006 12:54:54 »
This subject was discussed in the 'Scientific American' a year or two ago and it was agreed that with enough money and effort communication might be possible out to 1000 light years, but what use would it be?.
distance can be overcome but not time!!.
I repeat if some civilisation was beaming useful advice to us it might be some use but is it likely?

Offline simeonie

• View Profile
    • http://www.simeonie.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: 07/11/2006 13:21:00 »
Yea seems pointless unless there was some evidence for there to be someone to receive it. also the time thing, i dnt know how fast our communications would travel but even if at the speed of light thats 1000 yrs for 1000 light years, its just silly

Offline science_guy

• I'm right there... inside neilep's head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07/11/2006 15:47:58 »
The use of 1000 is nil, because by the time it reaches the aliens, If it does, And even if they immediately start to head towards Earth, It would be 2000 years at best before they reach us from our communications.  There is no guarentee that we will still be here in the year 4000.

Offline Mr Andrew

• God was primitive man's attempt at Physics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 09/11/2006 00:36:24 »
distance can be overcome but not time!!.

Ah, but it's not time that must be overcome...just the speed of light!  As far as we know, nothing can go faster than the speed of light in our dimensions.  If anyone has read the Mutineer's Moon by David Weber, they have a technology called, I believe, the Enchanach Drive (I don't remember how to spell it) that moved through alternate dimensions.  I'm only an amateur at physics (still wrestling with basic E&M) so I don't have any idea how one would begin to discuss this possibility quantitatively.  It does seem plausible though (as anything is until thoroughly disproven beyond any doubt), if indeed it is a little hard to imagine.

another_someone

« Reply #31 on: 09/11/2006 19:55:31 »
The problem with the idea of moving in other dimensions is that we can only do that which nature permits us to do, or more precisely, if nature is not already doing it somewhere, then it is very unlikely we would be able to utilise it to our own ends.

If there was a possibility that we could travel in some alternative dimension, this would only be because other things are already moving in these alternative dimensions, and we can piggyback a ride with them (e.g. take a simple example, if one is to accelerate in an alternative dimension, then it follows that we must be able to transmit a force in that alternative dimension, and thus at very least the force particles that transmit that force must already be capable of travelling in that alternative dimension).

The other problem is still, what happens in the 3 (or 4, including time) dimensions in which we already know we exist.  If we exist in 6 or 7 dimensions, it does not mean we stop existing in 3 dimensions, it just means we have to add parameters for the new dimensions.  This does not allow us to violate the laws of those 3 dimensions, it just gives us new laws that provide further constraints in the new dimensions.

Offline Mr Andrew

• God was primitive man's attempt at Physics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10/11/2006 03:47:59 »
Ah, that makes sense.  What about the virtual vaccuum though?  If that really exists, the current theory is that when things go into the vaccuum, something must come out and vice versa...that would mean, if we could somehow come out of the vaccuum where ever we wanted to go and make it so that we went into the vaccuum simultaniously from where ever we were to start with, that instantanious travel would be possible.  Kind of abstract...would be really neat though!

Offline science_guy

• I'm right there... inside neilep's head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 13/11/2006 15:52:23 »
Ah, that makes sense.  What about the virtual vaccuum though?  If that really exists, the current theory is that when things go into the vaccuum, something must come out and vice versa...that would mean, if we could somehow come out of the vaccuum where ever we wanted to go and make it so that we went into the vaccuum simultaniously from where ever we were to start with, that instantanious travel would be possible.  Kind of abstract...would be really neat though!

that does sound plausible...

What is the Virtual Vacuum?  Indeed instantanous travel would be possible IF we are able to propagate ourselves into and out of this simultanously...  I can't help but wonder what the downside to this kind of travel could be...

Offline girlinthepink

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 18/11/2006 11:41:40 »
The universe is too be a place to rule out all life other than our planet and in 'the great scheme of things' we are so insignifiant we can't be all there is!

That what I think anyway.
« Last Edit: 09/04/2009 13:51:26 by BenV »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #34 on: 18/11/2006 11:41:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums