The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is zero g force traveling possible  (Read 9689 times)

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is zero g force traveling possible
« Reply #25 on: 30/05/2015 03:57:50 »
However it'd be nice if you read a physics text someday?
Dream on!

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30/05/2015 16:17:32 »
read a book? no way, i want to rid my head first.

alan was right, i don't know if i can ever recover....

this was what got me, i thought if a mass/system carries rotational energy, it has a special property, that is when mechanical force is applied on the system, the contact point becomes mass center.

by utilizing this special property, we can make a system that able to cancel acceleration force and provide zero g force traveling.

now i know it is all about angular moment conservation. there is no magic.

i'll keep looking,,,,,

Great weekend!

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 31/05/2015 03:58:36 »
Quote from: jccc
when the jet/car is accelerating, the pilot/driver feels no g force...is it possible?
Yes, just drive your car off a cliff.

It will accelerate downwards, and the driver will feel no g force (not even the 1g force he usually feels while sitting in a stationary car).

Note: Do not try this at home!
It's a good thing you reminded jccc  not to try this as home. He seems always willing to believe everything he sees on youtube but unwilling to take a scientists word for anything.

There's one thing about acceleration I'd like to add to the mix here my friends. Remember the traffic safety warnings the media regularly cautioned the public about, regarding careless driving? "Speed Kills".

I take some issue with this because it isn't speed that kills.

It's that sudden and ABRUPT STOP that's responsible for all the injuries.

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 31/05/2015 07:22:23 »
feel so sad, thought i was going to stand by the giants in history.

don't even have the mood to joke any more.

its ok to call me no g scientist from now on.

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01/06/2015 03:36:43 »
Why is it that people who see UFO's seem to assume that there is a little green/grey alien sitting inside it?  You make a huge assumption in that fact by automatically thinking the little green/grey dude is able to withstand huge amount of g's as his craft accelerates or turns corners at incredible speed.

Just to bring things back down to Earth a little, our spaceships that perform beyond the limit of human survivablity are unmanned.

The fact that a craft can perform beyond the tolerance of human survivability does not in any way suggest that alien life has successfully found a way to defy the laws of physics. 

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 01/06/2015 03:45:45 »
electrons defy gravity all the time, aren't they always in free fall?

ever seen an electron touch down?

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 01/06/2015 04:51:52 »
Oh good Lord. Here he goes again! What on Earth gives you the idea that electrons defy gravity? They most certainly do not. And no. They're not always in free-fall.

ever seen an electron touch down?
First of all electrons can't be "seen" in the normal sense of the term. In the second place what exactly do you mean by "touch down"?

Scientists don't construct experiments to make such absurd observations.

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 01/06/2015 12:02:25 »
i get the meaning of words long ago

still don't get the logic/mechanism

isn't the law says there is attraction force only

where is potential energy? electron is in free fall all the time.

thanks

Split topic - Gravitational attraction of electrons left in this thread; atoms emitting light moved to New Theories - moderator

« Last Edit: 01/06/2015 22:06:27 by evan_au »

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 02/06/2015 04:00:15 »
isn't the law says there is attraction force only
No. Where did you ever get such an idea from. This is really irritating not to mention very boring. You keep making these claims and never state where you get the claim from. Why?

where is potential energy?
Asking this only means that you don't understand energy, especially potentially. Energy has no location. Especially potential energy. These are merely mathematical constructs which were created to help solve problems.

electron is in free fall all the time.
Of for crying out loud! If course it isn't. Being in free fall means that there is no electric field acting on it when the electron is in a gravitational field and that's just plain nonsense. All of the electrons that make up my body are acted upon by electric fields and are all in a gravitational field. Therefore none of the electrons in my body are in free fall.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02/06/2015 11:47:53 »
The gravitational force is so weak compared to the electric field that you can only measure gravitational attraction between massive objects which are electrically neutral.

However, a single electron is never electrically neutral, and it certainly doesn't qualify as "massive". So when you are talking about electrons, gravity applies, but it is negligible next to the effects of the much stronger electric field.

This year, nuclear physicists are intending to obtain a more accurate measurement of the effect of gravity on an atom of anti-hydrogen. This anti-atom is electrically neutral, but there are still huge experimental errors in trying to measure the attraction of gravity on such a low-mass object. Part of the experimental challenge is trying to hold it perfectly still (without touching it!), and then release it without imparting some initial velocity.

They do this measurement by "dropping" the anti-atom in a hard vacuum, and measuring the time it spends in free-fall until it annihilates on the bottom of the vacuum chamber.

The fact that such light objects spend time in free-fall shows that they are subject to gravity.

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02/06/2015 15:04:26 »
if electrons are not constantly in free fall, why none of electron able to touch the ground/nucleus?

is electron moving or not in a hydrogen atom? if so, how it moves? circling? jumping? clouding?

isn't atomic structure full of mystery? 

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02/06/2015 16:15:43 »
if electrons are not constantly in free fall, why none of electron able to touch the ground/nucleus?

is electron moving or not in a hydrogen atom? if so, how it moves? circling? jumping? clouding?

isn't atomic structure full of mystery?
Forget it. You'll never understand. I explain one day and the next day you're just as ignorant as you are today. I give up trying to help you and thinking that it's possible in some small way that you'd actually learn something.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #36 on: 02/06/2015 16:15:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums