The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Since Everest lost a meter in the quake, is K2 the new top dog?  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Pecos_Bill

• View Profile
I saw on BBC's "click" that Everest lost a meter of height. Is K2 now higher..or just more dangerous?

Offline Ophiolite

• View Profile
K2: 8611m
Everest (before quake): 8848m

I'll let you do the arithmetic and answer your own question. It's worth noting that the number you heard, of a reduction of 1m, would have been an estimate - and not one I would place much reliance on.

K2 is more difficult. Everest attracts many unskilled climbers. K2 doesn't. It all depends how you define and quantify danger.

Offline Pecos_Bill

• View Profile
It looks like Annapurna is the deadliest by fatalties per attempt....

"Through August 2010, 183 climbers had summited Annapurna and 61 had died trying."

However Mont Blanc, however, is said to kill about 100 climbers per year.

http://www.adventure-journal.com/2012/06/the-list-the-deadliest-mountains-in-the-universe/

My brother used to work at Yosemite in middle management. He used to speak disparagingly of "Eurodog" climbers, but his opinion was colored by having to bag their remains up and ship them home from the base of el capitan.

Still at least they didn't try wading in the stream that feeds bridal veil falls like some did.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums